• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: World Series 2021 Astros/Braves

Unless the Astros enter the free agent market with a lot of cash they are not going to be dominant next season like they have been the last 4 years. Their starting pitching isn't as strong as it once was and the loss of Correa would impact their defense and offense. This is a list of their outgoing talent if they don't re-sign them.

Zack Greinke

Justin Verlander

Carlos Correa

Yulieski Gurriel Team Option $8 mil

Joe Smith

Martin Maldonado

Yimi Garcia

Kendall Graveman

Drew Butera

People are mad the Braves won with a 88 win record in the NL East, but it's interesting to note they were 44 and 45 at All Star Break, Angels were 45-44.

They went 8-9 the rest of July to be two games under .500 at 52-54.

Angels went 7-8 to finish July at 52-52. 

Braves bought at deadline. Angels mostly stood pat, and even sold a bit.

Braves went 36-20, including 18-8 in August and 16-10 in September.

Angels went 25-33 down the stretch. Including a terrible 9-17 September.

I'm not saying that they should've bought with Trout and Rendon on the shelf, not to mention Sandoval, Canning, Upton, etc. But they aren't as far away as some think.

Braves had third best record in NL in last two months at 36-20.

Giants were 57-32 at the break, 65-39 at end of month, and went 42-16 in last two months.

Dodgers were 56-32 at the break, 63-43 at end of month, and finished 43-13 in last two months.

Astros were at 55-36 at the break, 11-5 rest of July, but then went 28-25 down the stretch.

Red Sox were also 55-36 at the break, 8-7 rest of July but only went 29-27 down the stretch.

Mariners went 48-43 at the break, and 8-6 rest of July. At 56-49 they then went 34-23.

Yankees were 46-43 at the break, 9-5 rest of July. Then went 37-22 down the stretch.

Rays were 53-37 at the break,  10-5 rest of July. Then went 37-20 down the stretch. 

18 hours ago, Hubs said:

People are mad the Braves won with a 88 win record in the NL East, but it's interesting to note they were 44 and 45 at All Star Break, Angels were 45-44.

I'm not saying that they should've bought with Trout and Rendon on the shelf, not to mention Sandoval, Canning, Upton, etc. But they aren't as far away as some think.

The Braves had a strong positive run differential even when they were hovering around .500. The Angels didn't.  It was pretty clear that the Braves were a legitimately good team that just needed some things to start turning their way.  The Angels were lucky to even be hovering around .500 for as long as they did. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

the difference in divisions mattered too. angels weren't getting in with 88 wins. the braves benefited from winning a bad division, an opportunity that the angels never had.

never the less, thank god the braves won. 

the braves were 31-37 vs. teams above .500.  18 of their 55 games were vs. teams above .500 after the deadline.  

the angels were 39-62 vs. teams above .500.  Granted that some of it is self fulfilling in that they helped a bunch of those teams be above .500 but most of them were well above that mark actually.  Yet 33 more games vs. better teams.  

I'm not discounting what the Braves did.  It was great and really smart actually.  Going for it with a sub .500 record at the deadline because they knew their schedule.  They knew their division and they knew they had a chance.  They had on team to catch for the division who was all of 8 games above .500.   They still wouldn't have won the WC.  But winning the division is the key.  If you have a chance, you go for it.  If you have a chance at the WC, you absolutely hedge your bets.  

When you have 6 teams to pass and you have a negative run diff, and you're 11.5 back of the division with your two best position players out you sell.  Especially when you have 35 of your last 57 games vs teams above .500.  The only wrong choice the Angels made was to not sell Iglesias and anything else not tied down.  

22 hours ago, Hubs said:

Braves had third best record in NL in last two months at 36-20.

Giants were 57-32 at the break, 65-39 at end of month, and went 42-16 in last two months.

Dodgers were 56-32 at the break, 63-43 at end of month, and finished 43-13 in last two months.

Astros were at 55-36 at the break, 11-5 rest of July, but then went 28-25 down the stretch.

Red Sox were also 55-36 at the break, 8-7 rest of July but only went 29-27 down the stretch.

Mariners went 48-43 at the break, and 8-6 rest of July. At 56-49 they then went 34-23.

Yankees were 46-43 at the break, 9-5 rest of July. Then went 37-22 down the stretch.

Rays were 53-37 at the break,  10-5 rest of July. Then went 37-20 down the stretch. 

Thats a lot of data to take in.

The important part to take from it is that the Mariners were hot as hell down the stretch, and we ruined their dream on the last day of the season.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, HanfordGuy said:

When I first read this, I thought that was a cool stat but then I saw who tweeted it, I read it again with Vin Scully’s voice in my head.

That guy has the most wonderful American accent, I could listen to him all day. It was listening to Scully that got me into listening to the Away broadcasts when the Angels play - well that and Gubi being Gubi (love the guy but there's only so much Gubi a man can take).