• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

52 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If we're doing analogies I'd say it's more like trying to get a job after high school and having to apply at "Big Fast Food." You get drafted by a Dominos in Orem Utah with the promise of a quick promotion to Corporate Dominos and you sign a six year contract agreeing not to seek employment from any other chain.

At best it's exploiting kids by selling them on the dream of being big league ball players. 

This crew won't like the use of the term "exploited."

16 hours ago, True Grich said:

I think all companies should supply housing for their employees. Better yet, let the government provide housing for everyone.  

Actually why stop there? Free food, transportation and more!

Hyperbole and poor analogies aside, what would you suggest as a solution for a housing program that is currently not working and in need of help?

2 hours ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Why because it's as asinine as his Dominos non-compete clause analogy?

These guys are making a choice.

Kids don't grow up with dreams of being big league ball players because an exploitative billionaire MLB owner sold him on it. They have a love of the game and dreams of fame and fortune. So if they are good enough to give it a shot then they have a choice to make.

And If MiLB players don't like the system then they can work to change it. Establishing a union would be a good first step.

Failure to do so is also a choice.

They are currently working to change it by bringing the challenges to light. 

3 hours ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Why because it's as asinine as his Dominos non-compete clause analogy?

These guys are making a choice.

Kids don't grow up with dreams of being big league ball players because an exploitative billionaire MLB owner sold him on it. They have a love of the game and dreams of fame and fortune. So if they are good enough to give it a shot then they have a choice to make.

And If MiLB players don't like the system then they can work to change it. Establishing a union would be a good first step.

Failure to do so is also a choice.

Stupid people make bad choices all the time, so I won't put responsibility for the exploitation all on the owners. Most of these guys don't have a shot, and they're employed only for the purpose of providing competition for those that do. No one tells them they don't have a shot and they sure as hell wouldn't be playing if they thought they didn't. But if they don't have a shot why are we going through this charade of competitive balance, drafting players, and granting organizations exclusive rights to develop them?

So if it's a job let's treat it like a job.

18 hours ago, Taylor said:

You seem to think a minor leaguer is simply an "aspiring baseball player" akin to a wannabe actor who's passing out headshots on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

No, I don't. 

The bottom line for me is that I don’t believe ownership is obligated to provide housing. 

I know what it’s like to struggle when you’re young to make ends meet. That’s life. I’m fine with players having to struggle to achieve what they want to accomplish. They know what they’re getting into. If they can’t deal with the stress, they’re pursuing the wrong career.

There is a professional bass fisherman named Hank Cherry, who slept in the bed of his truck at tournaments to make ends meet while pursuing his dream. He won back to back championships (Bassmaster Classics). He fought for his dream. Things that are worth pursuing aren’t always easy.

The idea that owners need to build or buy and maintain housing for players for 6 or 7 months of the year is ludicrous. Besides, teams change affiliations all the time. 

it looks like MLB is going to provide housing anyway. So, what difference does it make what I think?

14 hours ago, True Grich said:

There is a professional bass fisherman named Hank Cherry, who slept in the bed of his truck at tournaments to make ends meet while pursuing his dream. He won back to back championships (Bassmaster Classics). He fought for his dream. 

So, what you're saying is, everyone should be sleeping in their car... I'm seeing a lot more of that lately, so it sounds like there are going to be a whole bunch more people achieving their dreams soon.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So, what you're saying is, everyone should be sleeping in their car... I'm seeing a lot more of that lately, so it sounds like there are going to be a whole bunch more people achieving their dreams soon.

Green is the new 7

On 2/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, True Grich said:

I know what it’s like to struggle when you’re young to make ends meet. That’s life. I’m fine with players having to struggle to achieve what they want to accomplish. They know what they’re getting into. If they can’t deal with the stress, they’re pursuing the wrong career.

There is a professional bass fisherman named Hank Cherry, who slept in the bed of his truck at tournaments to make ends meet while pursuing his dream. He won back to back championships (Bassmaster Classics). He fought for his dream. Things that are worth pursuing aren’t always easy.

The idea that owners need to build or buy and maintain housing for players for 6 or 7 months of the year is ludicrous. Besides, teams change affiliations all the time. 

it looks like MLB is going to provide housing anyway. So, what difference does it make what I think?

So because other people had to struggle, everyone should have to struggle?

The point is that people should be paid a decent wage as a baseline. They don't need to be making six figures, but they should be able to get by without having to room with five other people.

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The point is that people should be paid a decent wage as a baseline. They don't need to be making six figures, but they should be able to get by without having to room with five other people.

*Yawn*

What?

*Yawn*

Never mind...

55 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't think that is owed them.  I am not against the MLB providing it but these players don't have to work that job.  They can leave it and work another job that pays better.  Many of these players know they won't make to the show but they stay in the minors because they love playing baseball.  They know the score.

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't think that is owed them.  I am not against the MLB providing it but these players don't have to work that job.  They can leave it and work another job that pays better.  Many of these players know they won't make to the show but they stay in the minors because they love playing baseball.  They know the score.

MT, I feel like this is kind of a callous attitude about the situation. Do you honestly think the solution is simply for unhappy minor leaguers to find another job? This is a career they've been working toward their entire lives. Even if the never make the big leagues, is it unreasonable to expect their employers to pay them a living wage?

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

MT, I feel like this is kind of a callous attitude about the situation. Do you honestly think the solution is simply for unhappy minor leaguers to find another job? This is a career they've been working toward their entire lives. Even if the never make the big leagues, is it unreasonable to expect their employers to pay them a living wage?

I have held Libertarian leanings for a long time, as you know.  I don't see it as callous.  I don't see this as people working for McDonalds.  It is easy to appeal to emotions on these type of things but I don't think it is unfeeling to hold my position.

29 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I have held Libertarian leanings for a long time, as you know.  I don't see it as callous.  I don't see this as people working for McDonalds.  It is easy to appeal to emotions on these type of things but I don't think it is unfeeling to hold my position.

I think you agree that it’s an employment relationship.  If that’s the case shouldn’t they at least get minimum wage ? My understanding is that for a lot of these guys they don’t even get that. 

33 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

What about the people who lost their jobs when Biden ended the Keystone Pipeline? Should we just say, "Oh boohoo. You knew this was a business that's becoming more obsolete. Quit whining and go find another job."