• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB to begin providing housing for all minor leaguers starting in 2022

mmc

56 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

There are state and federal taxes on that 395K, nearly 40 percent.  That is about 158,000.  That leaves 237,000 of the original 395K divided by the seven years, or about 34000 per year.  If he buys anything else, that number goes way down.

The players in the minors work incredibly long hours, and days, for what they are paid.  

tHeY sHoUlD cHaNgE CaReErS

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

There are state and federal taxes on that 395K, nearly 40 percent.  That is about 158,000.  That leaves 237,000 of the original 395K divided by the seven years, or about 34000 per year.  If he buys anything else, that number goes way down.

The players in the minors work incredibly long hours, and days, for what they are paid.  

Yeah I hate taxes, but there’s no way around them.

Edited by failos

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

MLB signing bonuses are are subject to a flat-rate tax of 22%.  I don't know of any state that has a tax rate of 18%.

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Why would it be so hard to buy 4 condo complexes in each city they play in? Players come and go, but that investment would last so damn long. Plus they get to write it off? 

My idea was to buy apartment buildings in each city. Same result but the condos might be bigger. 

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

My idea was to buy apartment buildings in each city. Same result but the condos might be bigger. 

Same same. Just pay a developer to make a 40x 1 bedroom apartment/condo. Put it right next to each stadium so they don’t need cars to travel and call it a day.

that’s an impossibly easy investment for billionaires. You get write offs and house your players. That pays for itself in 10 years 

On 2/15/2022 at 3:07 PM, Taylor said:

Yes it is. If my job gives me a $5,000 bonus in December but then says, "By the way, we're not paying you for the hours you work in March," then I'm not being paid for my labor in March.

No, the equivalent would be if you were offered a bonus when you started your job, told you that you wouldn't be paid for a couple of months every year and you agreed to work there. 

What was it people saying about bad analogies?

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Some of you think the price of apartment buildings and their associated annual costs is inexpensive.  

I absolutely think it’s a wise and affordable investment. Sure there’s some necessary upkeep, but that seems well worth it in order to take of your players and the millions you’re investing in them. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

I absolutely think it’s a wise and affordable investment. Sure there’s some necessary upkeep, but that seems well worth it in order to take of your players and the millions you’re investing in them. 

Some upkeep? 

How much do you think electricity, gas, trash, water, property taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc. cost on apartment buildings?  

And a very large percentage at these players, financially speaking, will only be an expense, not an asset.

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

Some upkeep? 

How much do you think electricity, gas, trash, water, property taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc. cost on apartment buildings?  

And a very large percentage at these players, financially speaking, will only be an expense, not an asset.

I agree that several will be an expense instead of an asset.

But I also believe that eliminating the stress of where these kids live during their minor league career will go a long way for many of them. We heard stories about kids quitting because they couldn’t handle their stressful living situation (and it’s possible/likely that was one of several issues they were having). As a team owner, I’d want to eliminate things like that so my players have one less thing to worry about and can put more focus into their play.

For the expenses you mentioned, how much is that going to be each year? Maybe a million a year per apartment building? Maybe two? Seems pretty affordable to me for a MLB team. Thats less than one year of GMJ.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Cast and crew are provided housing during film shoots if those shoots occur 100 miles or more from their places of residence.

What does that have to do with aspiring actors?

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

What does that have to do with aspiring actors?

I'm talking about people who have signed professional work contracts with their employer, like minor leaguers have. 

They're "aspiring major leaguers" but as minor leaguers, they're already professionals because they've broken the ceiling of average baseball talent.

The same way an "aspiring actor" who gets their first big break will be provided housing by the film studio while the project is in session.

You seem to think a minor leaguer is simply an "aspiring baseball player" akin to a wannabe actor who's passing out headshots on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

I'm talking about people who have signed professional work contracts with their employer, like minor leaguers have. 

They're "aspiring major leaguers" but as minor leaguers, they're already professionals because they've broken the ceiling of average baseball talent.

The same way an "aspiring actor" who gets their first big break will be provided housing by the film studio while the project is in session.

You seem to think a minor leaguer is simply an "aspiring baseball player" akin to a wannabe actor who's passing out headshots on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

Agree with you Taylor. But also, like an aspiring actor can go work for a different studio (equivalent of a different MLB team), or the theater (MLB has an antitrust exemption and is a monopoly so there isn't even an equivalent). MLB is not like like other industries. 

14 hours ago, Lou said:

Some of you think the price of apartment buildings and their associated annual costs is inexpensive.  

It's inexpensive compared to the price of a one year contract for Cody Allen.

The issue at play here is that there are no financial incentives for MLB to do anything. They have a government mandated monopoly and the rules of the CBA force teams to cooperate with each other instead of compete. 

The owners correctly view most minor leaguers as unskilled labor required to fill out rosters so the actual prospects have someone to play against. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if MLB wasn't flaunting their anti-trust exemption by paying these guys less than minimum wage, letting them negotiate with only one franchise and locking them in to six year contracts that don't allow them to field competing offers.

3 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Agree with you Taylor. But also, like an aspiring actor can go work for a different studio (equivalent of a different MLB team), or the theater (MLB has an antitrust exemption and is a monopoly so there isn't even an equivalent). MLB is not like like other industries. 

If we're doing analogies I'd say it's more like trying to get a job after high school and having to apply at "Big Fast Food." You get drafted by a Dominos in Orem Utah with the promise of a quick promotion to Corporate Dominos and you sign a six year contract agreeing not to seek employment from any other chain.

At best it's exploiting kids by selling them on the dream of being big league ball players.