• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels

BTH

On 10/16/2021 at 4:18 PM, Trendon said:

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels (listed in alphabetical order):

Kevin Gausman

Clayton Kershaw

Robbie Ray

Carlos Rodón

Eduardo Rodriguez

Max Scherzer

Marcus Stroman

Noah Syndergaard

Justin Verlander

In reverse order:

9. Verlander

8. Kershaw

7. Scherzer

6. Stroman

5. Ray

4. Rodon

3. Rodriguez

2. Syndegaard

1. Gausman

45 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ray and Stroman for me. Either would be a boost, both would be a huge one. So we'll probably get neither.

But one of them plus two dependable relief guys would be a pretty nice offseason i think

Catcher?

1. Scherzer

2. Ray

3. Gausman

4. Rodon

5. Syndergaard

I’m not as high on Stroman. He’s only 5’7”-5’8” and he might be better off long term as a closer.

I like Kershaw but I doubt he’ll sign a 3 year deal with an AAV under $30 million.

A two year deal with Verlander with a player option after one might get him to sign but I have no idea how he is health wise.

Scherzer on a 2-year deal. 2 for 60. He's got two years left in him. 

Following that I'd go Ray, then Syndergaard, then Gausman. 

More importantly, a quality Pitching Coach is going to be important. We lost Bailey and look what he did with Webb, Gausman, DeScalafini, and Wood. Maybe Wise is the guy; Sandoval and Suarez certainly showed improvement this year. 

I think they will bring back Cobb, then go after 1-2 big name FAs. Then they will trade for a Freeland/Gonsolin/Maeda type. 

The Dodgers are bleeding Scherzer dry. He could hardy go more than 4 innings tonight because they've over used him. I don't want to think how much damage is going on in that 37 year old arm that may not recover to pitch two more years. 

Kevin Gausman--top 3 most reliable 

Robbie Ray---top 3 most reliable 

Marcus Stroman---top 3 most reliable

Noah Syndergaard /Justin Verlander---high injury risk but high ceiling 

Max Scherzer----don't see as an option

Carlos Rodón---pass

Eduardo Rodriguez---pass

Clayton Kershaw---hell no, either stays with Dodgers or is crazy overpaid, can't stay healthy

In my dream world I'd sign 2 of Gausman/Ray/Stroman AND either Noah or Verlander. 

signing Gausman, Ray or Stroman makes an Ohtani extension much less likely.  Or it means that we can't address other team needs with money in a couple years.  Get ready for the big stupid trade instead.  And it doesn't matter if we win the trade and what we send doesn't pan out.  It's put the halos in a position to have to win or it's not worth it.  

Trading org assets for major league talent is dumb unless you do something with it.  

On 10/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, Trendon said:

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels (listed in alphabetical order):

Kevin Gausman

Clayton Kershaw

Robbie Ray

Carlos Rodón

Eduardo Rodriguez

Max Scherzer

Marcus Stroman

Noah Syndergaard

Justin Verlander

Scherzer

Stroman

Gausman

Ray

Syndergaard

Kershaw

Rodon

JON GRAY

Rodriguez

Greinke

Verlander

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

signing Gausman, Ray or Stroman makes an Ohtani extension much less likely.  Or it means that we can't address other team needs with money in a couple years.  Get ready for the big stupid trade instead.  And it doesn't matter if we win the trade and what we send doesn't pan out.  It's put the halos in a position to have to win or it's not worth it.  

Trading org assets for major league talent is dumb unless you do something with it.  

I expect them to sign a starting pitcher and trade for one. And maybe take a one year flyer FA contract on one. 

I also expect them to address SS via trade or FA.

I basically give Upton's money to Ohtani for 2023, under arbitration, and hope you can resign him for 2024 and beyond. The 2024 season will be a bit of a cash crunch if they go add two big names in free agency.

There are a few interesting trade targets who make in the 8-14 M range that may solve a pitching spot or SS -- like Ketel Marte (who would play 2nd) or Jean Segura or Merrifield, Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo or German Marquez.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I expect them to sign a starting pitcher and trade for one. And maybe take a one year flyer FA contract on one. 

I also expect them to address SS via trade or FA.

I basically give Upton's money to Ohtani for 2023, under arbitration, and hope you can resign him for 2024 and beyond. The 2024 season will be a bit of a cash crunch if they go add two big names in free agency.

There are a few interesting trade targets who make in the 8-14 M range that may solve a pitching spot or SS -- like Ketel Marte (who would play 2nd) or Jean Segura or Merrifield, Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo or German Marquez.

I like those SP a lot, as well as Gallen.

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

I like those SP a lot, as well as Gallen.

Gallen is under club control, so it would take a lot more to get him than a guy eligible for arbitration or nearing the end of his contract.

Sean Manaea is another name to keep an eye on. projected 10.2 M in arbitration is rich for the A's who have ten other players and eleven free agents.

Jose Berrios is another, though Toronto probably keeps him if they are going to lose Ray. 

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Gallen is under club control, so it would take a lot more to get him than a guy eligible for arbitration or nearing the end of his contract.

Sean Manaea is another name to keep an eye on. projected 10.2 M in arbitration is rich for the A's who have ten other players and eleven free agents.

Jose Berrios is another, though Toronto probably keeps him if they are going to lose Ray. 

He is, but had a down year and Dbacks are terrible in a division with Giants, Dodgers, and Padres. IMO makes no sense for Diamondbacks to keep Gallen if they could get some prospects. 

44 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

He is, but had a down year and Dbacks are terrible in a division with Giants, Dodgers, and Padres. IMO makes no sense for Diamondbacks to keep Gallen if they could get some prospects. 

Maybe, He's under club control though, not even arbitration eligible so you have four seasons you're buying from the D'backs, and that's gonna be very expensive. I think they keep him.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

The A's have a lot of pitchers that make sense for the Angels, if the A's go into rebuilding mode. Bassitt, Montas, Manaea. But even if they do, I'm not so sure they'd want to trade any of those pitchers to a division rival.