• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Cards

Adam

20 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We used to go in the 90's.  My friends and I collected up until about 97 or 98 at which point we got more interested in the opposite sex and not long before we stopped collecting is when they started grading every card worth selling.  The last time we went I remember seeing multiple sellers with cases of the same exact cards and they were priced based on whether they were a 7, 8, 9 or the rare 10's.  It felt like at that point kids were priced out and I wasn't surprised to learn years later that there was a bubble that formed in the card market.  Like Tank said there got to be too many sets.  I realize there may only be a few producers but it used to be like Topps, Donruss, Upper Deck and a few others then in the mid 90's if you wanted the chance at the best rookie card of your favorite player you had to figure out which set was "the best" then if you didn't get the refractor or whatever you were SOL.  The fact that most of the buyers and sellers looked like guys who still lived in their parents basement made it even easier to lose interest.  I still have boxes of cards some of them in protectors and I'm sure many of the ones in protectors aren't worth anything while there's the chance in some of the various boxes there's some worth something.  Part of me would rather just get rid of them and clear space but the money I put into them as a kid and the fact that maybe some of them I have are worth something (same thing with comics I have) has kept me from just tossing them.  

I know nothing about comics, but I do have a buddy, a real honest guy, that could probably help you determine the value of them.  As for the cards, its pretty easy to tell the value of them these days by going to ebay and look at finished auctions.  There really isn’t a ton of value in cards from the 90’s.  It almost feels like the hobby took 20-30 years off of having any value.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I know nothing about comics, but I do have a buddy, a real honest guy, that could probably help you determine the value of them.  As for the cards, its pretty easy to tell the value of them these days by going to ebay and look at finished auctions.  There really isn’t a ton of value in cards from the 90’s.  It almost feels like the hobby took 20-30 years off of having any value.  

Appreciate it and I might take you up on it some day after getting through projects at home.  I watched a documentary some months back about Image Comics which came about in the early 90's and realized they published some of the ones I got into for a bit.  None of them took off as far as getting made into movies, merchandising via toys or anything like that.  I think I have the first issue of Spawn and whichever Spiderman Carnage was first in but I remember looking those up years ago and apparently they had rare ones that were different colored covers or something like that so it went the same route as sports cards for a while.  I'm guessing most of the value in the cards and comics I have is nostalgia from when I was a kid, didn't work and didn't have a care in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Appreciate it and I might take you up on it some day after getting through projects at home.  I watched a documentary some months back about Image Comics which came about in the early 90's and realized they published some of the ones I got into for a bit.  None of them took off as far as getting made into movies, merchandising via toys or anything like that.  I think I have the first issue of Spawn and whichever Spiderman Carnage was first in but I remember looking those up years ago and apparently they had rare ones that were different colored covers or something like that so it went the same route as sports cards for a while.  I'm guessing most of the value in the cards and comics I have is nostalgia from when I was a kid, didn't work and didn't have a care in the world. 

Yep, nostalgia is a real thing.  That is why I bought the 1978 set if cards.  It has some great cards and I got a good deal, but I absolutely bought them for nostalgia purposes.

There's a show at the LB Expo this weekend. Gonna take my kid. 

He's all in on Jo Adell and K'Bryan Hayes. Trying to get as many RCs as possible.

I think the investment value is in unopened boxes. I'm just going to buy a hobby box of each set and throw 'em in a trunk.

2011 Topps Update (Trout RC) are going for $17K. 2018 (Ohtani) are going for $1200.

Great memories of collecting cards.

I still have a sh*t ton of them at my parents house. Full sets, unopened boxes, tons in plastic/glass, tons of folders and sheets. Baseball, basketball, hockey and football. 

I remember going to card shows at Anaheim Convention Center and doing pack wars. Or card shops to get the latest Beckett magazine. And doing heated trades with friends. 

Man those were great days. 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:14 PM, Adam said:

I found my old shoebox. I was surprised to learn how little the 80s and 90s rookies are worth 😞

Same. Thought I had a pretty decent collection as a kid.

Turns out nobody really wants to buy my canseco and wally joyner cards.

Teach your kids to not just collect angels cards, by the way. My jack howell and dick schofield ones are worth less than canseco, somehow.

On the other hand, I never got into basketball cards. Never thought they were "worth as much" as baseball cards.

My buddy has some in hard plastic from the 80s..... like two jordan rookies among them.

No idea if he could actually get the money for them, but he sent me pics like a year ago, with online prices for them. Hes sitting on like 20K, if the prices he found for them are real.

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Damn, nostalgia trip. I remember those. Werent they bigger than regular cars?

I don't remember. That sounds familiar, though. 

Here is a set on eBay for $2.99.

I'm pretty sure my first game was after '86, but maybe they were still selling the '86 set a year or two later? Because I think I had the '86 set. But who knows. 

3 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm pretty sure my first game was after '86, but maybe they were still selling the '86 set a year or two later? Because I think I had the '86 set. But who knows. 

That sounds exactly familiar. Think i went to a game w my Dad in 85, got a set of those, and an angel hat that had that old circle team logo

For whatever reason, out of all the players in the world, i feel like I had a rupert jones smokey the bear card?

3 hours ago, Justin said:

They got really lazy in the photo selection for Sutton and Joyner. 

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That sounds exactly familiar. Think i went to a game w my Dad in 85, got a set of those, and an angel hat that had that old circle team logo

For whatever reason, out of all the players in the world, i feel like I had a rupert jones smokey the bear card?

I sent my dad a text and asked if he remembered the game. He said yes, it was with Indian Guides. Although he didn't remember the year, I'm almost positive that would have been the '87 season. 

And then I spent an hour reading about Indian Guides. I had forgotten that once upon a time I went out in public wearing a headband with a feather in it.

18 hours ago, Justin said:

I sent my dad a text and asked if he remembered the game. He said yes, it was with Indian Guides. Although he didn't remember the year, I'm almost positive that would have been the '87 season. 

And then I spent an hour reading about Indian Guides. I had forgotten that once upon a time I went out in public wearing a headband with a feather in it.

The hell, lol? Was this something at Angels games?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Turns out nobody really wants to buy my canseco and wally joyner cards.

Teach your kids to not just collect angels cards, by the way. My jack howell and dick schofield ones are worth less than canseco, somehow.

image.jpeg.cbda7a84840089d4e36bfc6649555b57.jpeg

I remember buying this card in the late ‘80s pointing to it in the glass and saying “I want to buy that Wally Joyner card.” And the shop owner said, “Kid, I think you’re the only one that would call that a Wally Joyner card.”

6 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

image.jpeg.cbda7a84840089d4e36bfc6649555b57.jpeg

I remember buying this card in the late ‘80s pointing to it in the glass and saying “I want to buy that Wally Joyner card.” And the shop owner said, “Kid, I think you’re the only one that would call that a Wally Joyner card.”

Lol. Yeah... canseco was the man at the time.

Remember that card, too. And funny enough, it begs the question... is it a joyner, or a canseco card?

5 hours ago, Adam said:

I remember spending $6 on a Juan Guzman Fleer Ultra RC and being so happy. lol 

I try to manage my son's expectations. There's a reasonable chance that Jo Adell sucks, buddy.

I grabbed the canseco rated rookie for 10 bucks, and 2 years later or so swore id be able to sell it and buy a house when i got old. 

I remember the mattingly rookie card being the most sought after card out there.... and a buddy of mine trading some other kid for it, for a glenn hoffman card.... because glenn hoffman lived across the street from him, and he wanted to get it autographed. And it was this huge dilemma.... which one was worth more.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I grabbed the canseco rated rookie for 10 bucks, and 2 years later or so swore id be able to sell it and buy a house when i got old. 

I remember the mattingly rookie card being the most sought after card out there.... and a buddy of mine trading some other kid for it, for a glenn hoffman card.... because glenn hoffman lived across the street from him, and he wanted to get it autographed. And it was this huge dilemma.... which one was worth more.

Funny enough the mattingly is pretty sought after these days

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Lol. Yeah... canseco was the man at the time.

Remember that card, too. And funny enough, it begs the question... is it a joyner, or a canseco card?

It's the Mormon and the Moron card.

12 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The Hoffman card would have more personal value, IMO.

I have a number of personalized autographed photos.  They have personal value to me because they probably aren't worth anything to anyone else.