• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Should the Angels re-sign Cobb?

tdawg87

Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels re-sign Alex Cobb?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think they will spend that much money.  If they resign Iglesias you are probably already looking at Cobb and while you may not be at your limit you are getting close.  Those two combined will get $25 million.  So then add a short stop, a back up catcher and a handful of useful pen arms and you are quickly at around $40 million.  

Most likely not, but I also feel like we are also at the spot, with young Talent coming up and helping (Sandy,Masrh,Adell.etc) that now is the time for Arte to to go for it! I also think we need to do this to take that next step. Either Arte needs to spen his money carefully (Pujols, Hamilton, Rendon) or take a chance and I feel like this could be a  perfect spot..

Like with all free agent signings, it comes down to the money.

The highest AAV for Cobb I'd go is like $12M, and I wouldn't go past 2 years.

If Cobb wants an AAV of like $14M-$15M, they'd be better off putting that money towards a better pitcher.

Whether it's a proven veteran like Scherzer, Greinke, or Kershaw on a short-term deal or a younger pitcher like Stroman, Ray, or Gausman on a long-term deal.

There is no value or upside in resigning Cobb. His age, performance and health history don’t warrant an 8 figure multi year salary. He was a nice pickup for Jones but unless Cobb is willing to give the Angels a discount for remaining with the Halos, I think he’s better off getting top dollar with another team.

As long as you know what you're buying, yes, re-up him. 

- You're not buying an ace. So the money shouldn't be ace money. 

- You're not buying an inning eater, he gets injured too often to be expected to go more than 140 innings. 

- He isn't a long-term investment. He's 33 and looks like he probably has two years left in the tank. 

Ok, so what is he then?

He's a short term investment to stabilize the rotation. Canning, Sandoval, Ohtani, Suarez, Barria, Rodriguez and Detmers is a dynamic group of starters. They're also young and unproven, and have an injury history. 

So then the question is, how much is that stabilization Cobb provides worth? I would argue there are several available substitutes for his services in free agency. But he is a leader, and when he's on the mound, he's pretty solid. 

The Angels spent 8 million on Quintana, and 11 million on the likes of Harvey and Cahill. They spent just over 4 million on Cobb this year with Baltimore covering much of the remaining money. 

I would offer Cobb 1/8 with a mutual option that could make this deal 2/16. That's it. 

19 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm a Robbie Ray fan but that asshat may Cy Young his was out of the Angels price range.  But check his month to month splits.... Dude has gotten better throughout the year.  The guy I think will end up being someone's mistake is Gausman.  His second half has been kind of ugly.  Not sure if its a luck thing but he's getting slapped around a little bit.

More importantly yes...  The defense needs to be fixed.

Gausman first 18 starts:

1.73 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 5.6 hits/9 innings, 6 1/3 innings/start 

Gausman last 12 starts:

4.77 ERA, 1.45 WHIP, 10.2 hits/9 innings, 5 innings/start 

Sadly, DeSclafani is in the same boat.

First 18 starts:

2.68 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 6.6 hits/9 innings, 6 innings/start

Last 10 starts:

4.57 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 9.6 hits/9 innings, 4.5 innings/start 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Tank said:

i'd sign cobb to a two-year deal with a mutual option for a third year, roughly 10-12 mil per year.

I had no idea you had that kind of money.  You should move out of Glendale.  You could live in South Pasadena instead.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I had no idea you had that kind of money.  You should move out of Glendale.  You could live in South Pasadena instead.

yep. i don't really like to talk about it much.

we're quietly putting together a pretty decent team. the tanks are gonna surprise a lot of people.

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Haha. A QO for Cobb.  No thank you.  

Luckily it can't happen anyway, he turned down the 17m QO from the Rays in 2017 and got 4/57m from the Orioles. Players can't be offered a QO twice under the rules. I think that's what @beatlesrule's post was getting at.

He is probably worth 2/24 to 3/33, maybe more on the open market as good pitching is really expensive, but as much as I'd be happy to see him back I'm not sure he's worth that much to the Angels considering the other needs and budget. 

Just now, WicketMaiden said:

Luckily it can't happen anyway, he turned down the 17m QO from the Rays in 2017 and got 4/57m from the Orioles. Players can't be offered a QO twice under the rules. I think that's what @beatlesrule's post was getting at.

He is probably worth 2/24 to 3/33, maybe more on the open market as good pitching is really expensive, but as much as I'd be happy to see him back I'm not sure he's worth that much to the Angels considering the other needs and budget. 

I know but there is zero chance the Angels would offer Cobb a QO even if they could.  Like you said he’s a $10-11 million pitcher on the open market, maybe.  He’s also a pitcher that a team would pass on if it cost them a draft pick.  So why would anyone offer him a QO? 

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, WicketMaiden said:

That’s a lot of quid, mate.