• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Justin Verlander

Tank

I have a feeling that despite his TJS and time missed, he will still easily get a sizable one year rebound-type deal. If a guy like like 2019 Matt Harvey, who hadn't been good for two years, can get a 1yr/11mil rebound-type contract by the Angels, then Verlander could easily get a 1 year deal in the 18-25mil range. Maybe there's even a team that will give him two years. There's a chance he could be worth the deal, but there's still a lot of risk involved with signing him considering he will be 39 next season and also hasn't pitched in two years. With the high price tag and sizable risk, I would rather they use that 18-25mil on a more surefire pitcher like Scherzer, Gausman, or Stroman. 

I will admit it would be cool to see him in Angels red though. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I can see Detroit bringing him back to mentor that staff. They’ve said they’ll spend this winter and it’d be a nice way to cap his career.

Greinke is probably the likeliest old ace we sign. 

He's already stated that he would be open to returning to Detroit.

23 minutes ago, Lou said:

He's already stated that he would be open to returning to Detroit.

If they add Verlander, a top SS, and maybe the right reliever or two, they could be in business if their young arms keep progressing and Torkelson arrives. 

The White Sox are a beast but the rest of the AL Central is pretty mediocre right now. Could be a busy winter for them.

Likewise...the Astros have a tough one ahead. Might lose Verlander, Correa, Greinke...their farm isn't producing quite what it used to...

Edited by totdprods

10 hours ago, Tank said:

Will be a 39 year old FA this winter coming back from TJS.  Any interest?

I’d take a one year flyer on him. I think it’d be great for our young pitchers to learn from and be mentored by him for a year. 

No, no, no and bloody no! No more of this lottery ticket, fingers-crossed and hope for the best nonsense, it's bollocks.

I completely agree with the idea of a seasoned mentor for the staff, so let's get a proper one, not yet another one out of the discount aisle. 

To paraphrase Einstein Rita Mae Brown - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is madness.

Edited by WicketMaiden
Correction of Einstein (Thanks JSN)

23 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

To paraphrase Einstein - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is madness.

He never said that:

https://www.businessinsider.com/misattributed-quotes-2013-10

"12. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." not Albert Einstein

Different versions of this quote appear everywhere (doing the same thing twice, expecting the same result, etc.), and we owe none of them to Einstein.

After Michael Becker, an editor at the Bozeman Daily Chronicle (a local paper in Montana), let the wrong version slide into an editorial, he did some research on his personal blog.

Becker traced the original back to Rita Mae Brown, the mystery novelist. In her 1983 book "Sudden Death," she attributes the quote to a fictional "Jane Fulton," writing, "Unfortunately, Susan didn’t remember what Jane Fulton once said. 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.'"

Just now, Lou said:

Not much anymore. 

I've probably attended more games than 99% of the people here, however.

There was a long stretch of time when I attended about 65-70 games a year...

This year, just two because of family obligations/responsibilities.