• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels place Upton on the 10-day IL, recall Kean Wong

mmc

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Upton was not good this year.  Yet he was 5% better offensively than Fletcher. 

I don't think this is fair, or true. Upton is a power hitter, so naturally his SLG is going to be higher than Fletcher's. In every other facet he has been worse.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I don't think this is fair, or true. Upton is a power hitter, so naturally his SLG is going to be higher than Fletcher's. In every other facet he has been worse.

I like OPS+ to judge offense.  In my mind the only argument would be amount of games played. In which case Fletcher has been a MUCH bigger contributor offensively.  Obviously this is more about how we over value Fletcher offensively.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I like OPS+ to judge offense.  In my mind the only argument would be amount of games played. In which case Fletcher has been a MUCH bigger contributor offensively.  Obviously this is more about how we over value Fletcher offensively.  

OPS+ is fine, but you can't just use it in a vaccuum. 

Ichiro's career OPS+ is 107. Upton's is 118. Is Upton a better hitter than Ichiro was?

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Upton was not good this year.  Yet he was 5% better offensively than Fletcher. 

How can this possibly be true? Fletcher is on base often while Upton can’t play longer than a week at a time without getting hurt. If this is weighted because of Uptons power, then that seems to be an unrealistic measure of their contributions.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also Fletcher simply needs to take the walks offered to him to increase his OPS, rather than swing at every pitch from his knees to his neck.  

That will likely increase his strikeout rate. The reason he has value as a hitter is because he puts the ball in play. 

Eckstein is a pretty good comp for Fletcher.

33 minutes ago, Tank said:

How can this possibly be true? Fletcher is on base often while Upton can’t play longer than a week at a time without getting hurt. If this is weighted because of Uptons power, then that seems to be an unrealistic measure of their contributions.

Because Upton drives the ball, hits homers and doubles.  His slugging is 50+ points higher than Fletcher’s, while his OBP is only 25 points less. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

The average MLB slugging % this year is .409.  The average OBP is .316.  So, yeah, I guess you could say that OPS+ is "weighted" more towards slugging, since slugging will almost always be higher than OBP.  OPS+ is a blunt tool.