• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Starting Sept 1, 19 of the team’s last 28 games are against teams in the AL West.  
Do we prefer the Angels are fighting Seattle  for a spot with head to head games or do we really prefer a wildcard system where we are scoreboard checking on the Guardians?

I'd prefer they have the division just about locked up by then.

But in reality, I just want them in the race again.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I'd prefer they have the division just about locked up by then.

But in reality, I just want them in the race again.

Well me too.

I am just considering that when they decided to have ONE wildcard team, the only thing that was “fair” was to take the team with the best record among all the second place teams.

Now that there will be 12 teams, there is no reason to not leave the division competition in place.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

This makes little sense and will never happen because you could end up with a third place team that has more wins than the second place or even first place teams in another division.

So are you ok with a division winner not getting in if there are 6 teams in the league with better records?

9 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

This makes little sense and will never happen because you could end up with a third place team that has more wins than the second place or even first place teams in another division.

By the way, what you cite here would not be a new problem.  The system we have all lived with has always had this same exact vulnerability.  Ever since baseball has had divisions, Including the most recent system with wildcards, a team could have a record better than a division winner and still not make the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Starting Sept 1, 19 of the team’s last 28 games are against teams in the AL West.  
Do we prefer the Angels are fighting Seattle  for a spot with head to head games or do we really prefer a wildcard system where we are scoreboard checking on the Guardians?

I’d prefer they change the name to Cleveland Rockers.

1 minute ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I believe you just didn't think this one through. Your proposal would have placed the Cleveland Indians in the playoffs last year. They had an 80-82 record - the 9th best record in the AL.

I couldn’t care less about that.

My stance is rooted in we have divisions, and weighted schedules where you play your own division more.  So if you are comfortable taking all the division winners, the same exact philosophy would make it perfectly fine to take the top two in each division.

The goal of this would be to create the most number of meaningful, exciting individual games down the stretch. . . Since the schedule goes division heavy in the last month.

If I got hung up on your exact point, then just ditch the divisions altogether, have everyone play the same schedule and just take the top 6 teams.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I believe you just didn't think this one through. Your proposal would have placed the Cleveland Indians in the playoffs last year. They had an 80-82 record - the 9th best record in the AL.

Good point. Maybe they should just do away with divisions and the top six teams in each league make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Good point. Maybe they should just do away with divisions and the top six teams in each league make the playoffs.

So you get what I am saying.  Look if baseball wanted to do that, then whatever do it.

But baseball seems to want division designations, and different schedules for different teams.  That’s fine. But if you do that then you have already baked in a potential problem no matter what you do from there.

I think it would be an acceptable trade off to maximize the chances of “playoff feel” games in September to isolate the completion inside the division.

So it depends on what your goals is.  Letting 12 teams into the playoffs almost assures that the worst of the twelve teams kinda doesn’t belong there in the first place, right?  So then don’t worry too much about THAT, and have a system that creates the most exciting head to head games possible.

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I like that. I thought they should have renamed them the Cleveland Tribe. "The Tribe" was already a moniker for the team and I don't believe it would be seen as derogatory.

Yes it would.

Trust me. I'm one of those loony libs.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I like that. I thought they should have renamed them the Cleveland Tribe. "The Tribe" was already a moniker for the team and I don't believe it would be seen as derogatory.

You way overestimate the emotional discipline of the immature indignaholics.

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Indign is one letter away from Indian. 

REEEEEEEEE

Indignaholic is my own word for people addicted to indignity (people who would literally rather be offended than not offended, so they find ways to be offended).

I think it’s pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Indignaholic is my own word for people addicted to indignity (people who would literally rather be offended than not offended, so they find ways to be offended).

I think it’s pretty good.

I thought it meant someone who is fascinated in indigenous culture.