• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

The longer this goes the more frustrated I am with the players.  I don't want to side with billionaires but players seem to be compensated very well.  Unlike football careers last much longer, retirees aren't typically dealing with massive injuries, and they have guaranteed contracts.  Improvements for the minors and arbitration players sounds reasonable but they appear to be asking for everything. 

19 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

The longer this goes the more frustrated I am with the players.  I don't want to side with billionaires but players seem to be compensated very well.  Unlike football careers last much longer, retirees aren't typically dealing with massive injuries, and they have guaranteed contracts.  Improvements for the minors and arbitration players sounds reasonable but they appear to be asking for everything. 

Most players do not have guaranteed contracts and I can't imagine that being able to retire without permanent physical damage should require some kind of concession. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Most players do not have guaranteed contracts and I can't imagine that being able to retire without permanent physical damage should require some kind of concession. 

Which players don't have guaranteed contracts?

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Players with less than 6 years of service time who haven't signed an extension.

But the contracts they've signed are guaranteed. Nobody is guaranteed a contract after the one they're playing under ends. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

But the contracts they've signed are guaranteed. Nobody is guaranteed a contract after the one they're playing under ends. 

It depends. The player is committed to six years of minor league service or six years of major league service to the organization but the team can release themselves from their obligation to the player at any point. If that happens and no other team chooses to step in for that organization the player is no longer paid. This is the case with all players at least up until they become arbitration eligible, at which point I do believe their one year contracts are guaranteed during the season they are signed. 

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It depends. The player is committed to six years of minor league service or six years of major league service to the organization but the team can release themselves from their obligation to the player at any point. If that happens and no other team chooses to step in for that organization the player is no longer paid. This is the case with all players at least up until they become arbitration eligible, at which point I do believe their one year contracts are guaranteed during the season they are signed. 

No, it doesn't depend. Every contract that is signed is guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed after that contract ends. 

I like the way the NFL does it way better personally.  The problem is and always will be that players don't go from getting drafted to the highest level.  I would love to see them revamp the entire thing in mlb where the team has the option to lock a player up based on his first two year of performance (something of an autocalc), and if they don't, then the player can become a free agent after 4.  Or something like that.  

every contract, once signed, is guaranteed for at least a year.  

it's not about the guarantee but the club control that limits them from their true earning potential.  But that's true of all sports.  

The inability to hit the open market in mlb earlier is the trade off.  There are essentially two class systems of mlb players

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it's not about the guarantee but the club control that limits them from their true earning potential.  But that's true of all sports.  

The inability to hit the open market in mlb earlier is the trade off.  There are essentially two class systems of mlb players

bingo GIF

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

So you’ve got a guy, pick one we’ve had plenty. He is a veteran but bounces up and down from AAA to MLB but then gets released mid season.  Does he get paid the rest of the season?

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So you’ve got a guy, pick one we’ve had plenty. He is a veteran but bounces up and down from AAA to MLB but then gets released mid season.  Does he get paid the rest of the season?

Yes. 

Yeah there is a tiny slice of “split contracts” that apply to very few players (and players that probably should have this exact kind of contract).

But for the purposes of talking about if MLB contracts are fully Guaranteed or not (especially in the context of comparing MLB contracts to NFL contracts). . .  the answer really is yes they are fully guaranteed.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

This is the last time I follow your lead.

shut up 

Veterans, usually will have different terms in their contracts that allows them to be optioned to the minors or start there. These are the split contracts. They have settlement amounts and non-guaranteed total salaries.

The ones the pre-arb folks sign are guaranteed, but prorated for every day spent in the majors or on major league injured list.