• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

2 minutes ago, HanfordGuy said:

Is there another hard deadline by MLB owners before more games are canceled?

I haven't seen one, but by their logic, it would seem like today should be another deadline, right?  If last Monday was their deadline to cancel the first week of games, then it would logically follow that they should be canceling another week now--assuming that their stance was based on any sort of reality (which it wasn't, of course...).

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Let me guess.  You think parking should be free, $5 game tickets, $2 hot dogs, and $7 hats and $20 jerseys? 

Certain teams do have $1 Hotdog days and really cheap tickets. You were given 2 $1 hot dog vouchers.

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Certain teams do have $1 Hotdog days and really cheap tickets. You were given 2 $1 hot dog vouchers.

Yes you are right.  I just think Angels 1961 probably needs to realize the product he wants is available to him without MLB having to change into what he wants.

It is called minor league baseball.  He should simply go where they have exactly what he wants.

10 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Matt Thaiss' bat is certainly good enough to be a major leaguer?

I'm assuming they mean that if he can be an adequate or above catcher defensively, he'll hit enough for the position.  I don't think they're trying to argue that he has proven his bat is strong enough for a 1B, 3B, etc. at the major league leave.

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm assuming they mean that if he can be an adequate or above catcher defensively, he'll hit enough for the position.  I don't think they're trying to argue that he has proven his bat is strong enough for a 1B, 3B, etc. at the major league leave.

I am not sold.  I am pulling for him but I don’t really see this guy as part of the teams present or future.

7 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Arte's balance sheet is very healthy . He bought the team for $184 million in 2003 (paid cash) and it's worth several billion now. He also recently bought the stadium for something like $150 million and some "affordable housing" in the neighborhood (whatever that means). There are homes selling in Newport Beach etc for $25-30 million, so it seems like a steal what he paid for the stadium. And then there's the multi-billion dollar TV contract.

He would still be a gazillionaire if the season were canceled. Not sure what he loses on the TV side if no games are played. Is that contract guaranteed for him??

Overall, I think the owners are content to squeeze the players union until it gives in. The fans can go to hell. That's what it seems to be.

I agree

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes you are right.  I just think Angels 1961 probably needs to realize the product he wants is available to him without MLB having to change into what he wants.

It is called minor league baseball.  He should simply go where they have exactly what he wants.

$20 for parking, $9 hot dogs $15 beer $8 for peanuts for a losing team. Prices are so high because Arte needs to buy rakes to rake in all the money. Baseball will start in June or July and fans will not be there. MLB is going to take a huge hit because of greedy owners.

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm a little confused by this, since I thought MLB had said the games that had been canceled wouldn't be made up.  So why would tomorrow be a deadline to play 162 games?

it's now a point of leverage for the owners.  back of the napkin math.  avg payroll of about 120m x 30 is 3.6bil.  split over 26 weeks is about 140m per week.  Plus benefits which aren't being paid right now as well.  That's another 15m per team x 30 divided by 26 is another 17m.  So call it 155m. 

10b in revenue each year.  Minus player costs of 4b (benefits added) minus earnings of about 1.5b.  is about 4.5b.  now how much of that goes to in game costs vs. what teams pay just to run the business without the games.  I would guess about an 80/20 split.  Max.  But for kicks, let's assume it's that.  which is about 900m.  Let's call it 1b/30/26 is about 1.2m per week per team or about 40m total. 

And I would guess that each team wouldn't have a problem with paring down their operational costs as far as staff goes during the lockout.  I know one owner who wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep over doing so. 

But even still, who blinks first?

Hence the reason the owners never had any intention of caving to the players demands in short order and hence the lockout and hence the inevitability of cancelling games or at least threatening to do so.  It's my contention that this was the play all along.   The loss delta to the players is 100m a week.  Even if adding 5m of players costs per team or 150m to the player budget on a yearly for the whole league seems reasonable, two weeks of lost play steals from that for 2 of the five years of the agreement and each week of lost games and prorated salaries essentially takes away 2/3rds of what you've negotiated for.  

In other words, 7 weeks of lost games essentially gets the owners/teams everything back that the players would have negotiated for over the entire 5 years.  

take Trout as an example.  He earns 1.5m per week.   Does he potentially give up 10m so the last guy on the roster can can earn and extra 200k?

Interesting day.  There has been some movement on some key issues.  And the idea that getting a deal now could preserve a full season provides some urgency.

I think the players are more concerned with losing paychecks for lost games, but realistically the owners would probably like to get a deal done that doesn’t result in cancelled games because they don’t want the narrative that they caused “real damage” to the season.

Seems like the sides are at least within striking distance, and the urgency of the calendar now may help push this over the finish line.