• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

9 hours ago, cals said:

I’d like to point something out that I haven’t commented on before.  And it could be evidence of one side’s motivation to resolve the issues compared to the other’s desire not to, or maybe it’s not.

A few weeks back there was a story that the owners had offered mediation in an attempt to resolve all or some issues.  The Players Union rejected it.

It’s important to understand what mediation is here.  Mediation is voluntary and there isn’t a person that says to one side over the other that they are wrong and the other side is right (as in arbitration or trial).

A mediation is simply a negotiating/settlement meeting with a neutral party (the mediator) who usually will meet with all parties together and then separate them and go back and forth between the groups trying to get the parties closer together on issues.  The mediator (who is often a former judge in the appropriate area of law) will often provide his/her opinions to each side about the strengths and weaknesses of their case to provide an educated outside opinion and the mediator cannot discuss with one party what the other party said without consent.  

If parties agree to mediation it doesn’t necessarily mean they are chomping at the bit to give up their fight and settle, often times they go in with the expectation and understanding that there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by mediation.  However if a party declines an offer of mediation, generally, it means they don’t have any interest in settlement.

And honestly my first reaction when I heard the players rejected mediation was “I wonder if they even understand what the hell it is?”

Anyways, that’s my take.

As you know, mediation only works when each side is confident that their counterpart is open to making some concessions.  I'm pretty sure the players understand the process. 

11 hours ago, Tank said:

Absolutely, because Monday is 2/21, a day of National celebration.

Speaking of Presidents Day, these insanely rich, greedy b**tards should take a lead from George Washington, who hated partisanship and who thought people could find common ground and compromise. 

The victims here are always the fans, young and old. The non-stop money grubbing leaves little time for consideration of their feelings. A year of no baseball, yeah that's just wonderful for America, especially now when people are ready to break out of the Covid shutdown and enjoy the national pastime in the summer.

13 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

A year of no baseball, yeah that's just wonderful for America, especially now when people are ready to break out of the Covid shutdown and enjoy the national pastime in the summer.

I had no idea baseball was being shut down for a year.  Why wasn't this on the news?

11 hours ago, cals said:

I’d like to point something out that I haven’t commented on before.  And it could be evidence of one side’s motivation to resolve the issues compared to the other’s desire not to, or maybe it’s not.

A few weeks back there was a story that the owners had offered mediation in an attempt to resolve all or some issues.  The Players Union rejected it.

It’s important to understand what mediation is here.  Mediation is voluntary and there isn’t a person that says to one side over the other that they are wrong and the other side is right (as in arbitration or trial).

A mediation is simply a negotiating/settlement meeting with a neutral party (the mediator) who usually will meet with all parties together and then separate them and go back and forth between the groups trying to get the parties closer together on issues.  The mediator (who is often a former judge in the appropriate area of law) will often provide his/her opinions to each side about the strengths and weaknesses of their case to provide an educated outside opinion and the mediator cannot discuss with one party what the other party said without consent.  

If parties agree to mediation it doesn’t necessarily mean they are chomping at the bit to give up their fight and settle, often times they go in with the expectation and understanding that there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by mediation.  However if a party declines an offer of mediation, generally, it means they don’t have any interest in settlement.

And honestly my first reaction when I heard the players rejected mediation was “I wonder if they even understand what the hell it is?”

Anyways, that’s my take.

Considering the things the players HAVE signed off on the last two CBA's I would not be surprised in the least if they didn't understand a thing about mediation.

1 hour ago, cals said:

I’m going to have to disagree.  The owners have made some concessions already and frankly the players don’t know how far they will bend.  It was a foolish decision and if the general public understood what the refusal meant, I think they would see it reflects poorly on the players.  Again, in mediation you have nothing to lose but time.

Both parties should just spin the wheel and agree to go into arbitration. 

Who started the lockout? Why so long for owners to schedule meetings? I feel owners want players to miss a few paychecks to put pressure on players. Same owners who do not give a crap about minor league players for years. Same owners who do not give a crap about people in Arizona or Florida that depend on spring training games. Same owners that cut payroll and rebuild teams that takes 5 to 6 years of losing teams. Same owners who cannot control their bad decisions on signing a Josh Hamilton for 125 million. Screw the owners I'm all for the UNION PLAYERS. Open up your books owners.

3 hours ago, Kotchman said:

I don’t blame the players for bargaining for what they believe is right. At the end of the day I generally side with the owners. They pay the bills and assume all the risk. 

If you have the money to buy a team, there is not much of a risk. MLB being a protected monopoly limits most owner risk.  It's not as if teams compete for customers like every small business does in Merica.

3 hours ago, Kotchman said:

I don’t blame the players for bargaining for what they believe is right. At the end of the day I generally side with the owners. They pay the bills and assume all the risk. 

Chris Davis risked his dignity when he was in his slump. Although I’d 2 girls 1 cup myself for half the money he was making. 

don’t you dare think that’s gross if you’ve ever consumed a nachos Belgrade at Taco Bell. They might as well rename it to the 2 chips 1 turd. 

10 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Speaking of Presidents Day, these insanely rich, greedy b**tards should take a lead from George Washington, who hated partisanship and who thought people could find common ground and compromise. 

The victims here are always the fans, young and old. The non-stop money grubbing leaves little time for consideration of their feelings. A year of no baseball, yeah that's just wonderful for America, especially now when people are ready to break out of the Covid shutdown and enjoy the national pastime in the summer.

You’re losing sight of the fact that this Monday, 2/21, is a National holiday. @Lou can confirm.