• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

On 2/17/2022 at 11:09 AM, Blarg said:

In my industry most of the technical talent are daily hire and only work on a show until they are no longer needed. So everyone from production to post has their show and when it wraps they go find other work. Baseball players are no different. Their pay goes from when they start to end of their contract and after that they can go find other work. When the show stats back up there is an expectance they all return, just like when spring training starts. Nobody gets paid on their hiatus.

Right but the film industry, outside of PA's (is it still $125 for 12? LOL), make far more than minimum wage and no one is giving you a break on overtime or travel pay. when they work 12 or 14 or 16 hours they get paid for it. There are unions and there are rules.

On 2/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, Erstad Grit said:

If owners agreed to this on the condition of eliminating a bunch of minor league roster spots what would your response be?

I mean, I think there should be five affiliated levels (instead of four) including a rookie / short season  level. At 30 man rosters that's the 150 they want to get down to. Currently it's 35 or 40? I understand the need for 35 or 40 at the AAA level, since they promote guys often to fill major league vacancies but at AA, A, and Low A? Maybe compromise and say 40 max, 35 min in rookie ball and at AAA, 35 max and 30 min at the other three levels. That's 160 min, 185 max.

Seems reasonable.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, Lou said:

"Support themselves" being the operative words. 

Could anyone here make rent on $500 per week or less?

And they absolutely could get jobs in October-January, but what kinds of jobs would they be? Would they eat healthy? 

I mean, they are all investments and maybe some of them are signed knowing they'll never make it, but maybe one owner will figure it out and know that by paying minor leaguers well, keeping them healthy and training and ready for major league duty, that the investment is worth the cost.

16 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Could anyone here make rent on $500 per week or less?

And they absolutely could get jobs in October-January, but what kinds of jobs would they be? Would they eat healthy? 

Can someone make rent on $2k/mo?  Absolutely.

Could they eat healthy? Absolutely.  However, it would require them to actually go to a grocery store. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Right but the film industry, outside of PA's (is it still $125 for 12? LOL), make far more than minimum wage and no one is giving you a break on overtime or travel pay. when they work 12 or 14 or 16 hours they get paid for it. There are unions and there are rules.

Blarg thinks all industries and professions are paid the same way.

Why do “some posters” constantly seem to defend the owners?

Because it is important to try to have some balance in these discussions rather than just go along with the fans’ habit of disproportionately blaming the owners over the players for literally everything, primarily because. . . It’s really easy to do so when they have an emotional attachment to players over owners.

I do not side with the owners.  I observe that most issues are not one party’s fault but rather that both parties have conflicting interests and they need to work it out.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I do not side with the owners.  I observe that most issues are not one party’s fault but rather that both parties have conflicting interests and they need to work it out.

When the most vocal supporter of the owners says this, you know it just has to be mostly the owners fault.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why do “some posters” constantly seem to defend the owners?

Because it is important to try to have some balance in these discussions rather than just go along with the fans’ habit of disproportionately blaming the owners over the players for literally everything, primarily because. . . It’s really easy to do so when they have an emotional attachment to players over owners.

The owners don't care about you, so no need to defend them.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

Regardless, Hubs, the point is once you are released from a shows payroll its is incumbent on yourself to fill in the income until recalled. Its about working for pay, regardless how well or poorly, you decide if you want to work. There is nothing preventing players from finding employment between seasons and it isn't incumbent on the league to pay for their hiatus. 

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I look at it this way.

The owners locked out the players.   The players didn’t walk out.

My guess is that they would have walked out just before the season started if given the chance. Assuming that an agreement was not reached.