• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

I feel like I should try to crystallize the path that my brain has taken here.

Sorry, I am just openly sharing my thoughts as they come.

As fans we all have lots of opinions about pretty much every detail of the relationship between players and owners.  I don’t think anybody would ever accuse me of not having an opinion.

Thats all fine and I am not asking anyone to “punt” on having opinions.

All I am saying is that I personally and suddenly am conscious that all of my opinions (and everybody else’s) are based on either assumptions of how much we think the owners make or are based on not taking into consideration at all what we don’t know on how much the owners make.

So is it healthy to consciously reset every once in a while and remind ourselves that it probably isn’t purely sound to be entrenched in one position on a subject when we don’t have a monumentally important piece of information necessary?

If everyone else is always conscious of this lack of information in discussing opinions, then maybe I was the only one that needed to take a moment to pause and remind myself how my opinions may or may not be sound due to the lack of information on the owners financials.

It’s the environment we are in and the answer is not to take no positions.  That takes all the fun out of talking about stuff.

I am reminding myself of the flawed informational environment (for the fans) and to have some perspective in that context

Edited by Dtwncbad

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/12/16/22831008/mlbs-revenue-sharing-problem-and-how-to-solve-it

• MLB revenues have soared from $8.2 billion in 2015 to over $10.7 billion in 2019, a 30 percent increase
  • Player salaries have decreased by 6.4 percent, with the average salary declining from $4.45 million to $4.17 million during the span of the current CBA.
  • The median salary has fallen from $1.65 million in 2015 to $ 1.15 million in 2021, a decline of 30 percent.
  • 54 percent of players in MLB are not yet eligible for arbitration, earning near the minimum salary.
  • 13 teams had payrolls under $100 million for the 2021 season. Five teams spent less than $50 million.
  • Three teams spent less than $17 million on their 26 man major league payroll according to Spotrac. These teams are simply not trying to win.
  • The Players Association filed a grievance against the A’s, the Pirates, the Marlins, and Rays over how they have invested their revenue-sharing dollars in recent years. The CBA requires “each Club shall use its revenue sharing receipts … in an effort to improve its performance on the field.”

44 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lockout was expected and this the way these kinds of labor negotiations go.  Lockout isn’t a surprise.  The question of whether the owners are negotiating in good faith at all or if they’re interested in a partnership with their labor.  That is another question.  

Why does it seem that many people expect the owners to be interested in a partnership with the players?

I don’t expect that.  I expect them to want to maintain a relationship that is ownership/hired talent, not a partner/partner.

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/12/16/22831008/mlbs-revenue-sharing-problem-and-how-to-solve-it

• MLB revenues have soared from $8.2 billion in 2015 to over $10.7 billion in 2019, a 30 percent increase
  • Player salaries have decreased by 6.4 percent, with the average salary declining from $4.45 million to $4.17 million during the span of the current CBA.
  • The median salary has fallen from $1.65 million in 2015 to $ 1.15 million in 2021, a decline of 30 percent.
  • 54 percent of players in MLB are not yet eligible for arbitration, earning near the minimum salary.
  • 13 teams had payrolls under $100 million for the 2021 season. Five teams spent less than $50 million.
  • Three teams spent less than $17 million on their 26 man major league payroll according to Spotrac. These teams are simply not trying to win.
  • The Players Association filed a grievance against the A’s, the Pirates, the Marlins, and Rays over how they have invested their revenue-sharing dollars in recent years. The CBA requires “each Club shall use its revenue sharing receipts … in an effort to improve its performance on the field.”

The owners worked 30% extra hard to earn that profit increase.

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why does it seem that many people expect the owners to be interested in a partnership with the players?

I don’t expect that.  I expect them to want to maintain a relationship that is ownership/hired talent, not a partner/partner.

See the thing is that the players have some self respect and for them that arrangement doesn’t work.  Have you bought an Arte Moreno jersey btw ?

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

See the thing is that the players have some self respect and for them that arrangement doesn’t work.  Have you bought an Arte Moreno jersey btw ?

I haven't, but i never bought an Apple product that was made by Steve Jobs either. 

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Actually it has worked quite well for them.  They are mostly very rich.

My pool guy has some self respect too and he wants to be partners on my house instead of being hired talent.

I guess I should be open to it?

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

I haven't, but i never bought an Apple product that was made by Steve Jobs either. 

well that makes sense because Steve Jobs never made shit in his life it’s not like you could have.  

it’s also pretty good how your comping a consumer electronics purchase with a baseball jersey.  

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

My pool guy has some self respect too and he wants to be partners on my house instead of being hired talent.

Is your pool guy directly responsible for your revenue/income or the value of your house?  Again, your analogies are just the worst, man.

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

well that makes sense because Steve Jobs never made shit in his life it’s not like you could have.  

it’s also pretty good how your comping a consumer electronics purchase with a baseball jersey.  

And Arte has never worn a uniform. 

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does your pool guy make you money and attract crowds to your house?

If so, cals is looking for a new pool guy.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

The arrangement is that they have a union that negotiates their partnership with the league.  And that’s largely why they have what they have.  Whether you like it or not. Whether the owners like it or not.  That’s the way it is.  

there’s no pool man union.  I think it would a great idea tho. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

The arrangement is that they have a union that negotiates their partnership with the league.  And that’s largely why they have what they have.  Whether you like it or not. Whether the owners like it or not.  That’s the way it is.  

there’s no pool man union.  I think it would a great idea tho. 

You don't have a pool, do you?