• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels will back off using closer Raisel Iglesias before 9th inning

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Joe Maddon has enjoyed the luxury of Raisel Iglesias in the eighth inning all year, but he won’t anymore.

A day after Maddon said he will no longer ask Iglesias to pitch earlier than the ninth inning to save games, the Angels manager said the standings and Iglesias’ impending free agency led to the decision.

“With the position we’re in right now, there’s no sense in really pushing it,” Maddon said. “Whether it’s hopefully with us in the future or even if it’s with somebody else, this young man has a nice future ahead of him. There’s no reason to really count on him right now to do that. …

“I’m very aware, wary of the player and his family and his career.”

Iglesias, 31, is set to be a free agent at the end of the season, perhaps as the top reliever on the market. He has demonstrated his value not only in his performance – 29 saves in 34 chances, with a 2.70 ERA – but his durability. Iglesias has eight saves of four outs or more, tied with the Chicago White Sox’s Liam Hendricks for the major league lead. No one else has more than four.

“It’s unreal,” Maddon said Iglesias’ willingness to be extended that way. “It’s wonderful.”

A NEW MAN

Infielder Luis Rengifo was recalled from Triple-A, taking one of the two extra spots as rosters expanded from 26 to 28 for September.

Maddon said he barely recognized Rengifo since he was last with the team just more than a month ago, because he’s gotten in better shape.

“I’m not saying he wasn’t in shape,” Maddon said. “That’s not my point. He just needed to tighten it up a bit. He has. If you get really close to him it’s very obvious.”

Maddon said General Manager Perry Minasian “challenged him” to get in better shape so he could move better. Maddon had spoken in the past about Rengifo needing to make improvements in his mental game.

NOTES

Right-handed reliever Oliver Ortega was the second player added to the roster. Ortega, 24, has never appeared in the majors. He posted a 5.48 ERA this season, at Double-A and Triple-A. …

Injured pitchers Patrick Sandoval and Griffin Canning work out together, and both suffered similar lower back stress fractures, prompting the Angels to evaluate whether anything they did led to the injuries. “We haven’t found any particular workout or thing that we thought was why it happened,” Sandoval said Wednesday, his first time speaking to the media since the injury was diagnosed. Sandoval was moved to the 60-day injured list to create a roster spot for Ortega. …

Pitchers Reid Detmers, Austin Warren and José Marte, who are on the COVID-related injured list, are still in quarantine on the East Coast.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 8-1, 3.00) vs. Rangers (RHP Glenn Otto, 0-0, 0.00), Friday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

3 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Maddon said General Manager Perry Minasian “challenged him” to get in better shape so he could move better. Maddon had spoken in the past about Rengifo needing to make improvements in his mental game.

Interesting that Minasian "challenged" Rengifo to get into better shape. Wonder how that conversation went.

The issue I see is whether he's gonna get the necessary playing time he needs to get.

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

my only thoughts on iglesias is how nice it would have been  to have that one or two top prospects in return for him. i wonder what positions they would have played?

I was all in on trading him and anyone else with expiring contracts to stock the farm.

Treading water does no good