• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Giants claim Jose Quintana off waivers, Angels recall Kean Wong

mmc

I agree with TG.  As I’ve said for awhile if this results in a Jose Suarez situation where in order to fill innings we have to call up guys two years before he’s ready then it’s a dumb move. If they have enough guys that have to be protected this off season to pitch those innings then I’m good with it. 

45 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree with TG.  As I’ve said for awhile if this results in a Jose Suarez situation where in order to fill innings we have to call up guys two years before he’s ready then it’s a dumb move. If they have enough guys that have to be protected this off season to pitch those innings then I’m good with it. 

Seems like they can fill those innings with the Kyle Tyler/Packy Naughton types.  That seems like a good use of roster space to me.

Quintana had fantastic results tonight for the Giants.  After they fell behind, but he kept them in the game.

There is a "woe is me" attitude on this board about injuries, but I'd argue luck with this type of pitcher has been worse. The one year guy.

Quintana wasn't gonna be good, but he should've been better than he was. The underlying numbers say he "was" this year...  bad luck... it was a theme with most of the staff early in the year, but that evened out a bit

Edited by ScottT

Quintana wasn't good enough to justify keeping at all, but he also wasn't nearly as bad as perceived.

First 5 games: 17 IP, 10.59 ERA, 14 BB, 28 K, 3 HR allowed, .324 BAA
Last 19 games: 36.1 IP, 4.95 ERA, 15 BB, 45 K, 6 HR allowed, .284 BAA

After his brutal start he had definitely ironed things out, but really no reason to keep him when there are other arms to audition.

Could absolutely see him reviving his career next season either as a reliever or refining whatever it was that led to his dramatic K% spike this year.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Quintana wasn't good enough to justify keeping at all, but he also wasn't nearly as bad as perceived.

First 5 games: 17 IP, 10.59 ERA, 14 BB, 28 K, 3 HR allowed, .324 BAA
Last 19 games: 36.1 IP, 4.95 ERA, 15 BB, 45 K, 6 HR allowed, .284 BAA

After his brutal start he had definitely ironed things out, but really no reason to keep him when there are other arms to audition.

Could absolutely see him reviving his career next season either as a reliever or refining whatever it was that led to his dramatic K% spike this year.

The last 19 games numbers are skewed some because of the one terrible start he had 10 days or so back…

8 hours ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I think it’s hilarious that a grown up person thinks a pitching coach can solve a players problem in a day or two.  

Similarly, I think it's hilarious people still view ERA as the end all be all of pitching stats.  Dude walked a ton, but 4.30 FIP as an Angel.  Like every other pitcher on the Angels he was having to oppose the hitters and the defense behind him.  I genuinely wonder how much of the elevated walk rate had to do with Quintana and others trying to strike everyone out and overthrowing.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Similarly, I think it's hilarious people still view ERA as the end all be all of pitching stats.  Dude walked a ton, but 4.30 FIP as an Angel.  Like every other pitcher on the Angels hew was having to oppose the hitters and the defense behind him.  I genuinely wonder how much of the elevated walk rate had to do with Quintana and others trying to strike everyone out and overthrowing.

Look no further than Shitshek.  His era  looks really good , until you look at how many inherited runners he allowed. At one point this season that stat was hovering around 50%. He has pitched a bit better the last couple of weeks though.

51 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Look no further than Shitshek.  His era  looks really good , until you look at how many inherited runners he allowed. At one point this season that stat was hovering around 50%. He has pitched a bit better the last couple of weeks though.

I think he went like 7 weeks without allowing an inherited runner to score, but I also have no idea how many times he came in with runners on during those 7 or so weeks.