• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Giants claim Jose Quintana off waivers, Angels recall Kean Wong

mmc

57 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Well, yes, but from a pure business perspective this is such a huge win for the Angels.  They're no longer responsible for a pro-rated portion of the contract.  29/162 games = 17.9% = $1.43 million in savings.  Notwithstanding that the owner is a billionaire, that's not nothing in a baseball business' bottom line.

57 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Quintana is of zero value to the is team right now....A month left in the season, why not let the Giants pay his salary?  AAA season is over next week, I think....in this lost season, any AAA guy helps you as much as Quintana, and is a whole lot cheaper.....at this point, losing a few more games just helps your draft status for next year....not advocating tanking but winning in the last month is less important than letting the young guys play, that's all that matters.

26 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Who gives a shit? The Angels have been outscored by about 70 runs this year even with these guys.  They're 10.5 games out of the second wild card.  Do you really care if they end up 20 games out instead of 9? Just let young guys get some time and see what you have going into next season.

My point is in dropping too many guys... not specifically Quintana.  Letting "young guys get some time" comes with risk. If they fail and you don't have any more depth - you're kind of screwed.  They also suffer because there's no where for them to go... because there isn't enough depth on the 40 man roster.

Edited by True Grich

15 minutes ago, True Grich said:

My point is in dropping too many guys... not specifically Quintana.  Letting "young guys get some time" comes with risk. If they fail and you don't have any more depth - you're kind of screwed.  They also suffer because there's no where for them to go... because there isn't enough depth on the 40 man roster.

3rd level of depth or 9th level of depth.  does it really matter at this point?

Just now, Dochalo said:

we have no idea whether a vet might have a positive or negative impact on a rookie.  good players.  guys with talent seem to survive.  

I think you all are missing my point... I don't care if the Angels cut a bunch of guys - but there is a residual impact to all of that.  You have to replace them with someone and if those guys are prospects who fail - that might be harmful to their overall development.  Maybe not.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing it out there.  Some guys come up, get shelled (pitchers) or struggle at the plate and get sent back down... but that becomes problematic if you start releasing guys from the 40 man roster because you have to keep dipping into your farm system and you could call up someone before they're ready.

I've spent way too much time on this.... so, that's all I have to say about this topic.

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

We should sign more of these players.

You'd think the minor leaguers who get called up would perform at a high level so that they wouldn't have to go back to eating at Taco Bell and sleeping next to the oven in the kitchen, battling it  out with cockroaches.

26 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I think you all are missing my point... I don't care if the Angels cut a bunch of guys - but there is a residual impact to all of that.  You have to replace them with someone and if those guys are prospects who fail - that might be harmful to their overall development.  Maybe not.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing it out there.  Some guys come up, get shelled (pitchers) or struggle at the plate and get sent back down... but that becomes problematic if you start releasing guys from the 40 man roster because you have to keep dipping into your farm system and you could call up someone before they're ready.

I've spent way too much time on this.... so, that's all I have to say about this topic.

I don't think I am missing the point.  They won't release too many guys.  Teams rebuild and make sure they don't damage their younger players as a result.  I just can't imagine Maddon leaving in a young pitcher beyond a certain pitch count because 'there was no one else'.  It'll just go from old guys who suck to new guys who suck.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think I am missing the point.  They won't release too many guys.  Teams rebuild and make sure they don't damage their younger players as a result.  I just can't imagine Maddon leaving in a young pitcher beyond a certain pitch count because 'there was no one else'.  It'll just go from old guys who suck to new guys who suck.  

I agree.

But some are advocating for the release of anywhere from 3-5 additional guys.

Wait... I said I was done with this.  Crap.

Just now, True Grich said:

I agree.

But some are advocating for the release of anywhere from 3-5 additional guys.

Wait... I said I was done with this.  Crap.

and if we release those guys we'll see a few others that most have never heard of to make sure that the new guys have new guy back up instead of old guy back up.  And the most we'll see any of them is for about 10 innings.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

and if we release those guys we'll see a few others that most have never heard of to make sure that the new guys have new guy back up instead of old guy back up.  And the most we'll see any of them is for about 10 innings.  

Best Uh Huh GIFs | Gfycat

54 minutes ago, True Grich said:

If at least 3 people are "missing your point," the problem generally isn't with those 3 people. 

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If at least 3 people are "missing your point," the problem generally isn't with those 3 people. 

Fuck You Season 4 GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY

This is AW. "Generally" doesn't apply.

Edited by True Grich

• mmc changed the title to Giants claim Jose Quintana off waivers, Angels recall Kean Wong
39 minutes ago, True Grich said:

You'd think the minor leaguers who get called up would perform at a high level so that they wouldn't have to go back to eating at Taco Bell and sleeping next to the oven in the kitchen, battling it  out with cockroaches.

No truth to the rumor that La Cucaracha will become the 7th inning stretch song in the minors