• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels rookie Brandon Marsh emerging from early slump

Although Brandon Marsh’s bat was just as quiet as the rest of his Angels teammates in a forgettable series against the Cleveland Indians over the weekend, before that the rookie center fielder had been showing signs of progress.

Even including a 1-for-8 performance against the Indians, Marsh still had 14 hits in 39 at-bats (.359) leading into this week’s series in Baltimore.

The hot stretch raised his batting average from .155 to .227, and his OPS from .471 to .636.

“I’ve just seen an overall better approach,” Manager Joe Maddon said before the Angels played in Baltimore on Tuesday. “I think I’ve seen better decision-making because he is a good decision-maker. And I think that’s the one thing that maybe as he came up in the minor leagues got a little bit off track, but I think he’s getting back on track. So I do believe you’re going to continue to see that.”

Marsh, 23, is just a month into his big league career, having been promoted to the big leagues after a brief hot streak at Triple-A. Marsh had never played Triple-A before this season, and he had not played any official games in 2020, because the pandemic wiped out the minor league season. Marsh had also missed much of the start of the 2021 season because of shoulder trouble.

The Angels stuck with him as their primary center fielder, despite the offensive struggles for the first few weeks.

Even though he’s hit better lately, he’s still been striking out at an alarming clip. Marsh has 50 strikeouts in 110 at-bats, including at least one in each of his last 10 games.

TROUT UPDATE

Maddon said Mike Trout is continuing to improve, but they don’t have a timetable for him to return to action. Trout has been out since mid-May with a strained calf, but he said last week it was torn, which has caused him to take longer than expected to come back.

The three-time American League MVP has been doing some on-field workouts for the past week.

“He’s actually coming through these workouts a little bit better, but he’s still not ready,” Maddon said.

Maddon added that head athletic trainer Adam Nevala has been encouraged with what Trout has done.

“Adam likes his work a lot, and I think Mike does too,” Maddon said. “It’s just that he just can’t get over that threshold. They just can’t get to the point where he’s not feeling anything, but he’s feeling better.

“I saw him in the training room earlier. He’s undergoing a lot of treatment. He’s been doing more movement on the field. It’s all there. We’re all looking forward to it, but it’s just not ready to give a final timeline.”

NOTES

Outfielder Justin Upton was not in the lineup because of a nagging calf issue. Maddon said Upton had been “playing through it, but today it was not feeling as comfortable.” Maddon said he originally had Upton in the lineup but opted to give his calf some rest and start Juan Lagares instead. …

Maddon could not give any details as to why rookie reliever José Marte is on the injured list. Since the start of 2020, when a player is on the injured list without a physical injury disclosed, it generally means he’s on the COVID-related list. A player could be on that list without testing positive if he simply had a close contact test positive, for example. …

Right-hander Jaime Barria will start for the Angels on Thursday. They had not listed a starter, because they have some rotation question marks since left-hander Patrick Sandoval was placed on the injured list. …

Maddon said he had no further update on Sandoval. He is out with a left lumbar spine stress reaction, but the Angels currently aren’t sure if it’s serious enough to keep him out for the rest of the season.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 8-1, 2.79 ERA) at Orioles (TBD), Wednesday, 4:10 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

All of that is coach speak whenever they interview Maddon..... Bottom line is time! Marsh will be fine! If he is a 4th Outfielder or our Everyday Leftfielder in the future. Kid is 23 years old and a Major Leaguer probably a year too early. 

I still wish he would be more aggressive on 1st pitch fastball. But, that is also time and confidence in himself!

28 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

I think I’ve seen better decision-making because he is a good decision-maker. And I think that’s the one thing that maybe as he came up in the minor leagues got a little bit off track, but I think he’s getting back on track. So I do believe you’re going to continue to see that.”

Huh? LOL.

Maybe it's just me... but did Maddon actually say something there?