• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Dead Celebrities That Don't Warrant Their Own Thread

St1ck

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40183412/hall-fame-center-jim-otto-mr-raider-dies-86

Otto was the dominant center of his era -- many would argue of any era -- as he had a singular goal: "Never will they kick my butt."

Indeed, Otto did most of the kicking in a 15-year career that never saw him miss a game. From the AFL's initial season of 1960 through the 1970 AFL-NFL merger and his retirement following the 1974 season, Otto started 210 straight regular-season games, 223 including the playoffs, and was a Pro Bowler 12 times, a first-team All-Pro selection 10 times.

He was known later in life as "Pops" in the Raiders organization.

"I accept that," he said in 2014, "and cherish that."

Many have long suggested Otto's face should be the eye-patch-wearing logo on the side of the team's helmet, and Otto did not disagree.

"But with a broken nose," he joked at the time.

He was the only All-AFL center in the league's entire existence from 1960 to 1969, and he was one of only three players who played in all 140 AFL regular-season games (George Blanda and Gino Cappelletti were the others).

"Playing football was always a serious proposition for me," Otto said in 2021. "I wanted to put everyone on their backside and go home smiling, with my wife. So, it was a tough game for me. I had guys like Ray Nitschke. I wanted to get him and put him on his backside. He wanted to do the same to me. We had great times."

Otto said the hardest hit he ever received in a game came from Nitschke, in 1972.

"He broke my facemask in here, which broke my nose and set it over here," Otto said in 2014. "Broke my cheekbone, and my zygomatic arch bone here, and detached my retina in my left eye. ... I was blind for six months in my left eye. It was really bad. It all swelled up, and I couldn't see, but I kept playing. I never went out of the game."

Despite a long list of injuries, Otto said he had no regrets. But those injuries did eventually come at a cost, as he endured 74 surgeries by his count, plus more than 20 concussions, and in 2007 he had to have his right leg amputated above the knee following two life-threatening infections. He also had prostate cancer.

His autobiography was titled "The Pain of Glory."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/10/2024 at 3:07 PM, fan_since79 said:

Sam Rubin...sad. Rest in Peace.

I wake up to the morning news at 7 am on Channel 5. 

Every day is a gift and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I don't watch the news anymore, but back in my elementary/high school years when we'd sit at the counter eating Cap'n Crunchberries before school, we'd turn on KTLA to watch the morning show, and it was pretty entertaining. It wasn't just like tragic news, the panel was pretty good. And Sam Rubin was a big part of the hilarity.

OMG I just looked it up and it brought back the memories, the show was also with Carlos Amezcua and Mark Kriski. Those guys were pretty funny as well.

Nice tribute by Jim Hill on Channel 2. He told the story where Bill showed up to the first practice of the year with long hair, a violation of John Wooden's dress code. He refused to cut it and Wooden dismissed him saying "We're going to miss you, Bill". Walton went right out and got a haircut!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Iron Butterfly singer and songwriter has died.

I can't tell you how many times I listened to "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" back in the day.

https://www.al.com/life/2024/05/the-singer-and-songwriter-of-an-iconic-classic-rock-hit-has-died.html

You only actually listened to it once. It just hasn't ended yet

RIP

Edited by arch stanton

On 5/30/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tank said:

he's not dead, but longtime channel 5 weather man mark kriski had a "mild" stroke earlier this week. he's home and recovering from it.

tough month to work at channel 5...

I had a mild stroke, a series of them the same day. Thankful for hospital staff at Hoag Irvine. 

https://awfulannouncing.com/newspapers/tj-simers-la-times-sports-columnist-dies.html

T.J. Simers, the former Los Angeles Times sports columnist who later won a massive and highly publicized age discrimination suit against the paper, has died at age 73.

Boxing Scene reporter Lance Pugmire reported the news. Simers had been dealing with a brain tumor.