• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Joe Maddon continues strategic approach for David Fletcher

ANAHEIM – Baseball loves its labels and the player who can fit into as many as possible can become a darling of the game.

Angels second baseman David Fletcher simultaneously has “versatility” attached to his game, while being a “grinder,” a “situational guy” and now a “lineup protector,” all at the same time.

Fletcher is even mentioned with one of the more respected labels in the game: Workhorse.

While the Angels’ outfield is operating in a series of platoons, Fletcher has played in 112 of the Angels’ 117 games this season and has started in each of the team’s last 47 contests. He last watched an Angels game from the dugout June 18 at home against the Detroit Tigers.

“He’s just different and I’m watching him and I’m talking to him all the time,” manager Joe Maddon said before Saturday’s game against the Astros, when Fletcher was scheduled to bat second and play second base. “We have a deal. When he needs a day, he will let me know and I am watching him the whole time.”

Using a wide-angle lens, it doesn’t look as if Fletcher needs a break. He was batting .342 with a .374 on-base percentage in 47 games played since he was last out of the lineup. But a tighter look showed a .182 batting average and a .250 OBP over the last six games, before Saturday.

Maddon insists that Fletcher had some rest. There was the four-day All-Star break and Monday’s team-wide off day, as well as a break in the schedule July 21 during a road trip. Another team off day is coming Aug. 23, with a rare Sunday off day Aug. 29.

But the Angels need Fletcher’s ability to make contact. His proficiency to get bat on ball has given him a 91.2-percent contact rate to lead all of baseball. That has led to Maddon putting Fletcher in the lineup behind Shohei Ohtani.

If teams want to pitch around Ohtani, Maddon’s thought is that Fletcher can move Ohtani into scoring position, or get a hit that puts two runners on base. The duo continues to work on the strategy, which started during the current homestand.

“(Fletcher) is just a different animal and has a different method in a great way, not a good way,” Maddon said. “With a guy like him, I’m listening right now. Like Shohei, I’m listening right now.”

NOTES

Maddon said he has not made out the team’s starting rotation past Monday at New York, when left-hander Jose Suarez will face the Yankees. Maddon said he talked to Alex Cobb during Friday night’s game and the right-hander is not ready to return from a wrist injury.

Right-hander Chris Rodriguez, who was optioned back to Triple-A Salt Lake after Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Toronto Blue Jays, is on the seven-day minor league injured list with a lat strain and is not in the team’s immediate plans.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Reid Detmers 0-2, 10.61 ERA) vs. Astros (RHP Lance McCullers Jr. 9-3, 3.22), Sunday, 1:07 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

“(Fletcher) is just a different animal and has a different method in a great way, not a good way,” Maddon said. “With a guy like him, I’m listening right now. Like Shohei, I’m listening right now.”  

Maddon may be a not-genius but listening definitely is a strength, and that Ohtani/Fletcher combo could work.  Looks better when behind Fletch is Trout, Rendon, and Walsh.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

“(Fletcher) is just a different animal and has a different method in a great way, not a good way,” Maddon said. “With a guy like him, I’m listening right now. Like Shohei, I’m listening right now.”  

Maddon may be a not-genius but listening definitely is a strength, and that Ohtani/Fletcher combo could work.  Looks better when behind Fletch is Trout, Rendon, and Walsh.

People will talk this up and make it seem like he's just great but, all he's saying is that those guys are managing themselves.

Was he listening to Guerra when he claimed he was pitching at a level where he should be inserted into high leverage situations?  I'd love for that to be the case because I don't really want to think about it being an indication of his genius.

Who was he listening to when he didn't use Wantz at all?

Him riding Fletcher and Ohtani to exhaustion while not being actually in a playoff run is just stupidly irresponsible. This is like letting the kids choose how many cookies they get to take out of the jar. Someone needs to be the adult and supervise them. 

Players will play when their injuries, sometimes not reporting the problem.  They’ll play when they're tired with increased risk of injury as well.  Maddon is demonstrating trust in his players, but not the best of judgement.  

On one hand Maddon apparently communicates well with some players, but who know.  Then there’s Rodriguez, we’re they communicating well?

45 minutes ago, Revad said:

On one hand Maddon apparently communicates well with some players, but who know.  Then there’s Rodriguez, we’re they communicating well?

I disagree with how they have used Rodriguez but we haven't seen anything to suggest there was a rift there, or with any player really.  Closest thing was maybe Bundy early on with the quick hooks but whatever Bundy was thinking, he was wrong.

39 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I disagree with how they have used Rodriguez but we haven't seen anything to suggest there was a rift there, or with any player really.  Closest thing was maybe Bundy early on with the quick hooks but whatever Bundy was thinking, he was wrong.

Would Minasian or others have a voice in how Rodriguez was used?  While I was critical of Maddon pulling starters early in the year, he eventually changed that and is looking for six innings minimum now if the starter isn’t struggling too badly.

Edited by Revad