• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

ESPN Click Bait: Can the Angels keep Shohei Ohtani? A payroll crisis looms in Los Angeles

Chuck

Ohtani has not made decisions based primarily with money.  If he did he would have waited a year (or was it two) and been a free agent immediately instead of having a rookie contract.

Ohtani was reported to wanted to be in the West coast.  That limits big market teams drastically to the Dodgers, maybe Mariners and Padres.

Finally Ohtani seems to be a loyal person like Trout.  There is little doubt in my mind the Angels can keep him with the money coming off of Upton's contract.

I just think there is a risk of injury with Ohtani.  

Edited by stormngt

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Back on topic, if Arte doesn’t extend him beyond 2023, then feel free to sell the team.

He can sell the team and still own the stadium.  He has leveraged himself into an amazing position. 

13 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

How on earth will be a billionaire owner be able to pay great players to play for his team?

If Artie would just decide Ohtani is not part of the budget.  That’s all he needs to do and he will make money hand over fist.

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think the only thing standing in the way of the Angels keeping Ohtani is if Ohtani decides he no longer wants to be here. He chose the Angels seemingly because they were the one team really offering him the chance to do what he wanted to do and he has effectively shown he can do that. There will be a lot more teams now willing to allow him to do what he wants, so unlike before there may be much more serious competition.

But that aside, he chose to be here once, we've continued to let him do his thing - more now than ever even - and we will pay. It just remains to be seen if he chose to be here because we were the only ones offering him the chance he really wanted, or if he really wanted to be an Angel.

I totally agree.

2 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

How on earth will be a billionaire owner be able to pay great players to play for his team?

He is a billionaire because he doesn't listen to dumb asses online regarding how to spend his money.

Edited by stormngt

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Back on topic, if Arte doesn’t extend him beyond 2023, then feel free to sell the team.

He is signed till 2022.  That'll put him at 5.0 years of service time.  He'll most likely have an MVP to his name.  And his comparables will be just himself.  If that sixth year goes to arbitration, that will be a big number.

But I don't think he is going to hit free agency.  IMO, it puts the Angels in the drivers seat.  Pretty much if you are the Angels, you aren't going to give him a one year deal, but sign him to a long term deal (which will probably rival if not exceed Trouts).  But if says no, and they can't sign him after year 5, they can trade him for a Trout like haul.  I think a lot of teams, including big market teams like the Dogs, Skanks and Sux, will give up their left and right nut to sign Shohei to a long term deal.

I think I read that Ohtani already makes more in endorsements than any other athlete?

He certainly has no obligation to accept a “discounted” extension offer and the Angels should be trying to make a deal that Ohtani is happy to sign.

But given the money he makes from endorsements, his actual playing contract is probably less important overall to his personal financial situation than it is for players that make nothing in endorsements.

The parallel reality is a player that is THAT marketable is a pretty safe player to “overpay” because you benefit so greatly from their individual marketability.

They will extend him, and I think the number will be huge.  And everyone will make money on it.

If you look at the financials there is no reason the Angels cannot extend Ohtani if they want to. If they back load it more they could do it now, probably, although I think it is more likely once Upton comes off the books (it also gives the front office more time to see if Shohei holds up health-wise in 2022).

So, yeah, basically a clickbait article by Olney.

Edited by ettin

16 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I think the novelty of Ohtani will wear off after this season.  I'd let him walk.

Just so were clear...

Back in 1979, I wanted the Lakers to draft Sidney Moncrief instead of Magic Johnson.

So, you know I'm right about Ohtani. 

I think Fletcher is right, its a no brainer. They can afford him, and it makes too much sense not to.

The only thing id caution against is expecting ohtani to keep this up. Im not sure he'll be a two way guy his whole career. So pay him whatever it takes, but fanwise, be prepared for him to be "overpaid" at some point sooner than usual.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think Fletcher is right, its a no brainer. They can afford him, and it makes too much sense not to.

The only thing id caution against is expecting ohtani to keep this up. Im not sure he'll be a two way guy his whole career. So pay him whatever it takes, but fanwise, be prepared for him to be "overpaid" at some point sooner than usual.

Exactly

7 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

Are you being serious or sarcastic?  It's a little hard to tell.   Recall that it was Moreno who signed Josh Hamilton to a long-term contract for huge bucks when there were serious red flags around Hamilton.  How did that turn out?  Pujols wasn't exactly a big return on investment either.  And no front-line pitching talent has been signed by the Angels in a long time. 

And don't get me started on billionaires and their supposed superiority over the average Joe.

What do you think?