• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rendon having season ending hip surgery

mmc

12 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t think he sucked ass.   The art of pitching is to know how to not give up the big hit, to minimize damage.

MLB hitters are going to score in you.  It is a matter of getting the biggest outs and giving up 2 runs instead of 5 or 6.

I don’t expect very young pitchers with no mlb experience yet to step in and be able to get those key outs in high impact situations.

If you have what it takes you gain that ability quickly.  But almost no pitchers have it from day one.

I am really encouraged with what Detmers showed.

gross

I wish people could stop this delusion of believing that when a team signs someone for 7 or 8 or 10 years that this must mean they expect elite performance from that player for the full term of that contract.

That’s just not the reality of it.

The reality is the team decides they want to secure as much production as that player can provide, and the final term of the contract is often just a way to spread out the financial obligation to land the player.

If people think the Angels expected Pujols to be an elite offensive player through age 42, they are smoking crack.

They expected probably 5-6 years of very high level performance with the marketing power of him being a star, and then probably passable performance for a couple more years.

Pujols didn’t deliver on the actual performance expectations, but the point remains:  teams do not actually expect excellent production for the whole term of these long term deals.

Rendon signed a long term deal and it sucks that he has lost some time in his prime to injuries.  That really sucks.

But all this talk about how these long term deals “don’t age well” is about as insightful as saying 60 month terms on a new car “won’t age well.”

A $700 a month payment on a new car feels much more worth it on the first year than it does in the 5th year.  Duh.  And the person choosing the 60 month term knew that, just as teams know the production at age 38 or 40 will most likely be lousy compared to the first couple of years.

33 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Sure you go with that.  

Ok. Agree to disagree.

I believe Rendon's contract will go down as another in the litany of bad contracts Arte Moreno has pushed on his GM's. The Angels still owe him $191 M after this year. 

Arte's inability to stay out of the way continues to hurt the team not only with these bad, long term contracts but with our yearly decision to not sell at the trade deadline when we should. That's all about Arte and his inability to admit defeat. His ego and how it hurt this team will be his legacy.

2 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Ok. Agree to disagree.

I believe Rendon's contract will go down as another in the litany of bad contracts Arte Moreno has pushed on his GM's. The Angels still owe him $191 M after this year. 

Arte's inability to stay out of the way continues to hurt the team not only with these bad long term contracts but with our yearly decision to not sell at the trade deadline when we should. That's all about Arte and his inability to admit defeat. His ego and how it hurt his team will be his legacy.

If the Angels didn’t sign Rendon we would have Mayfield starting at third.  Oh wait we do have Mayfield starting at third.

Uh but if the Angels didn’t sign Rendon then they would have more money to sign elite players, so fans could complain about THAT contract instead.

3 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Ok. Agree to disagree.

Arte's inability to stay out of the way continues to hurt the team not only with these bad, long term contracts but with our yearly decision to not sell at the trade deadline when we should. That's all about Arte and his inability to admit defeat. His ego and how it hurt this team will be his legacy.

Yea I mean if fans say it I guess it’s got to be true. 

5 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Yea I mean if fans say it I guess it’s got to be true. 

What does that mean? This is a fans message board. Every opinion expressed here is from a fan. They are opinions.

Do you have an opinion on Rendon's contract? You know, as a fan?

How about the Pujols contract? How about the Hamilton contract?

16 minutes ago, mmc said:

I’d still get rid of Mayfield and let Stefanic, Rengifo, and maybe even Ward battle it out for 3B or 2B with Fletcher moving to 3B

I agree. Let's see what we have with the younger guys. They have options moving into next year but it's time to see what they have. I am most intrigued by Stefanic. 

17 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

What does that mean? This is a fans message board. Every opinion expressed here is from a fan. They are opinions.

Do you have an opinion on Rendon's contract? You know, as a fan?

How about the Pujols contract? How about the Hamilton contract?

I have lots of opinions.  Mostly about stuff I know.  Not some made up narrative. 

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We better damn well extend Iglesias and Cobb.  Otherwise it was a rost opportunity to get some quality prospects.

Cobb was injured at the trade deadline and they injury sounds worse than a blister, I believe they said right wrist irritation.  If that is the case that explains why he wasn’t traded.  

3 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Cobb was injured at the trade deadline and they injury sounds worse than a blister, I believe they said right wrist irritation.  If that is the case that explains why he wasn’t traded.  

He was injured his last start before the deadline.  They could have moved him before that game.  

They believed they were still in the race so didn't want  to give up yet.

Edited by stormngt

37 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I have lots of opinions.  Mostly about stuff I know.  Not some made up narrative. 

Really? You are ridiculous. You continue to use "narrative" as if it is a bad thing. Don't you understand a narrative is an opinion? To you, a "narrative" is an opinion you don't agree with or understand.

And my opinion is fact based if you choose to look at Rendon's numbers. He's not a Hall of Famer. He is a really good player who cashed in following a career year. Happens all the time.

So again, my opinion (feel free to insert "narrative") is Arte signed Rendon to a long term contract after a career year and I think the contract will be universally regarded as a mistake - similar to the Pujols and Hamilton contracts but obviously not as bad.

I hope I am wrong because I want this team to thrive. However, I believe Arte has and still is hurting this process with his inability to allow the FO to do what they need to do.

You can wave the flag for Arte if you want. It's your opinion/narrative but agree to disagree.

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We better damn well extend Iglesias and Cobb.  Otherwise it was a rost opportunity to get some quality prospects.

I am not really upset that they didn’t get traded but extending them doesn’t mean they didn’t miss an opportunity to get prospects.

They could have signed them as free agents. 

1 minute ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Really? You are ridiculous. You continue to use "narrative" as if it is a bad thing. Don't you understand a narrative is an opinion? To you, a "narrative" is an opinion you don't agree with or understand.

And my opinion is fact based if you choose to look at Rendon's numbers. He's not a Hall of Famer. He is a really good player who cashed in following a career year. Happens all the time.

So again, my opinion is (feel free to insert "narrative") is Arte signed Rendon to a long term contract after a career year and I think the contract will be universally regarded as a mistake - just like the Pujols and Hamilton contracts.

I hope I am wrong because I want this team to thrive. However, I believe Arte has and is hurting this process with his inability to allow the FO to do what they need to do.

You can wave the flag for Arte if you want. It's your opinion/narrative.

Ok.  Your opinion was he broke out at age 27, despite that he was top 5 in MVP at age 24.  Your opinion is that he cashed in on a career year, when he averaged a 5.7 WAR the 4 years prior to free agency.  Your opinion is Arte’s ego won’t allow them to sell at the deadline, when that is based on nothing other than they didn’t sell Iglesias, yet they sold two other guys including a pitcher that had been with the team for 7 years, oh and Arte’s ego sent money to the Yankees to trade Heaney.  The narrative, yours and others, about Arte signing Albert is bullshit, but whatever.  Dipoto absolutely took credit for it at the time.  Read the ESPN article after the deal went through and you will read all the hoops Dipoto went through and how he started talking about it much earlier than the winter meetings.  If I am not mistaken, in that article Dipoto also talked about approaching Arte with the idea for Albert, but I could be misremembering.  So yea, like I said, narratives.  Oh and I am not waving a flag for Arte, he’s obviously made mistakes and could lead the team in a different direction.