• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels recall Adell and Rodriguez, option Thaiss and Wong

mmc

58 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Agreed. Even if he is a utility guy with a solid OPS, that’s valuable. If he can be a super sub that can be the backup at catcher that’s actually a very valuable guy to have. 

I liked Thaiss's at bats even though his average fell fast , was making contact and worked counts. If they truly see him having value or a long term roster spot as backup catcher it's probably best he be in AAA playing everyday and working on his catching and calling games skills. I just hope he's good to go for being Angels backup catcher starting next year.

Just now, nothing, Nothing said:

I liked Thaiss's at bats even though his average fell fast , was making contact and worked counts. If they truly see him having value or a long term roster spot as backup catcher it's probably best he be in AAA playing everyday and working on his catching and calling games skills. I just hope he's good to go for being Angels backup catcher starting next year.

Thais is a dead pull hitter. Not much of a future for such a hitter in MLB.

6 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Then why are we burning a year off his clock and risking rushing him? Leave him down there and let him mash. Start fresh next season

thats my opinion of it

To reward him for some of the changes he has made recently.  Because the new CBA may be entirely different.  

32 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

burning a year off his clock

You don't get a full 1.0 years (172 days) on the super two clock just because you get called up in August.  He had about 2 months last year, he'll have 2 months if he stays on the roster thru the end of this year for a total of 4 months or so.  He should easily avoid being a super two at the end of 2023.

Humor Boomer GIF

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Then why are we burning a year off his clock and risking rushing him? Leave him down there and let him mash. Start fresh next season

thats my opinion of it

Read my long post in the Minors thread. The short version: He's already missed enough time in the majors to make 2027 his first possible year of free agency. Unless they want to keep him in the minors until the end of May next year, that won't change to 2028. Given the fact that he has made some adjustments and looks at least close to ready, keeping him in the minors for four more months (Aug-Sept in 2021, Apr-May in 2022) just to get that extra year seems a bit harsh, and may end up causing more harm than good.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Wow! The gang's all here now. Anyone else from AAA that can help the team? I guess this is the last straw, showing that Trout and Rendon may not be seen until September. I really hope he sticks, but I'm not crazy about this move. Is he really ready or is this just a move of desperation? If the latter, how does that help Adell?

3 hours ago, TroutField said:

Agreed. Even if he is a utility guy with a solid OPS, that’s valuable. If he can be a super sub that can be the backup at catcher that’s actually a very valuable guy to have. 

I would love to get Mayfield out of there, even if it's Rengifo.

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

Wow! The gang's all here now. Anyone else from AAA that can help the team? I guess this is the last straw, showing that Trout and Rendon may not be seen until September. I really hope he sticks, but I'm not crazy about this move. Is he really ready or is this just a move of desperation? If the latter, how does that help Adell?

Personally I'd like to see Fletcher move to third and have Stefanic play 2B

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

thats my opinion of it

Agree with this. He was just starting to build momentum in AAA and get his K rate slightly down. Let him finish out the year in the minors on a high note rather than scuffle while getting partial playing time. You have to also keep his trade value in mind for this offseason.

Likewise for Detmers, he had one start in AAA. Let him build more momentum; he has known issues with his HR rate and fastball command, which we saw on display yesterday. He doesn't have the arsenal of an Alek Manoah where he can breeze through the minors and succeed right away.

But then again, I tend to be conservative regarding prospects, especially when the major team doesn't really need them

4 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

thats my opinion of it

Unless you expected them to keep him in the minors all season, it doesn’t really change the service time situation. Also, there’s going to be a new CBA so who knows what the rules are. Also, you’d have to be pretty sure of how good he’s going to be in 5 years to worry about it. 

8 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Ya'll are like my grandmother and the couch she wouldn't let anyone sit on.  She had that thing for 20 years and no one ever was allowed to sit on it, at all, ever.

I got an idea, let's send Ohtani down to build up his confidence and raise his trade value.

ynm2kt9xvyr51.jpg

You must be Italian. Did your grandmother also have 17 different hand towels in her bathroom, but none you could actually use to dry your hands? 

11 hours ago, mmc said:

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board, but now they've gone from having almost no outfielders to having 5--but only one guy who can play 1B.  So Gosselin is going to be the every-day 1B, even against righties, even though he can't hit them at all?  Not that Thaiss was great or anything, but just seems weird.  Gosselin has also cooled down tremendously over the last few weeks (.190/.262/.241 in his last 65 plate appearances).

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board, but now they've gone from having almost no outfielders to having 5--but only one guy who can play 1B.  So Gosselin is going to be the every-day 1B, even against righties, even though he can't hit them at all?  Not that Thaiss was great or anything, but just seems weird.  Gosselin has also cooled down tremendously over the last few weeks (.190/.262/.241 in his last 65 plate appearances).

I would have kept Thaiss up and decided who to keep between Mayfield and Gosselin. Or get rid of both and start Rengifo everyday.