• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels showing interest in Max Scherzer

mmc

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd love this to be true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  I'd assume the absolute floor for a deal would be something like 2 yrs/$60M, with the real number likely much higher, given that he hasn't really shown any signs of decline.  Then we're right back to 4 players making ~$135M, which likely means no big spending on bullpen upgrades, C, or SS.

Could always sign him for two or three years then trade him if need be.  Of course there’s a risk he could get injured or a performance drop.  It would be after the new CBA which could impact salaries, but I expect he’ll get $30M a year for three years, or maybe two years $32 with an option and a buy out.  Don’t forget he will probably want an opt out after one.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd love this to be true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  I'd assume the absolute floor for a deal would be something like 2 yrs/$60M, with the real number likely much higher, given that he hasn't really shown any signs of decline.  Then we're right back to 4 players making ~$135M, which likely means no big spending on bullpen upgrades, C, or SS.

Scherzer has not declined because he is not an Angel.

Just wait and see what happens if the Angels sign him.

Methinks the Dodgers acquired him fully intending to treat him as their Bauer replacement and will pay him similar terms, and just try to release/forget/eat the Bauer money unless there's a dramatic turnaround. 

That said if he does make it to market I imagine the Angels will go at it simply because you might get #1 production for 2-3 years worth of a contract instead of a 7-9 year megadeal.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am just noting that there are people wanting to Re-sign Cobb because even though he is not an ace starter, he be that gutty veteran leader for next year.

Is there any sane fan that believes it wouldn’t be better to sign Scherzer because he can be that leader and be a beast?

I am all for signing Scherzer for the same contract we would sign Cobb.

I just dont think we should add anymore 30+ contracts tied down for 5+ years.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I thought I did but let me be more clear.

I would rather have the Angels spend $30m on Scherzer next year than spend $30 on a combination of Cobb and bullpen help where 2/3 of that $30m goes to the pen.

It is pretty damn hard to hack together a rotation that has a strong front half of the rotation.

It is possible to put together a great bullpen without breaking the bank.

If you have money to spend, secure the more difficult pieces with your financial resources.  At least you then have a chance.

We have seen how patching together a rotation has worked over the last few years.  It doesn’t.

Once again  "bullpen is easier to fix" for cheap argument.

How come our pen a sucked 9 out of 10 yrs?

To be honest I would rather spend 20 million on better scouting and player development if that ensures us having an excellent pen.

Edited by stormngt

18 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Once again  "bullpen is easier to fix" for cheap argument.

How come our pen a sucked 9 out of 10 yrs?

To be honest I would rather spend 20 million on better scouting and player development if that ensures us having an excellent pen.

I never said the bullpen is easy to fix.  Nothing is easy.

But some things are more difficult than others.

Patching together a starting rotation capable of winning a championship on the cheap is probably a far worse bet than spending on the rotation and trying to patch together a competent bullpen on a budget.

You are free to disagree.  No problem.  This is my personal opinion.

So when the Angels have shit for a starting rotation for this many consecutive years, yes I would spend a fat price on a 37 year olds Scherzer (who is still dominant) on a reasonable, age appropriate length contract to solidify the top end of the rotation immediately in 2021.

36 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I never said the bullpen is easy to fix.  Nothing is easy.

But some things are more difficult than others.

Patching together a starting rotation capable of winning a championship on the cheap is probably a far worse bet than spending on the rotation and trying to patch together a competent bullpen on a budget.

You are free to disagree.  No problem.  This is my personal opinion.

So when the Angels have shit for a starting rotation for this many consecutive years, yes I would spend a fat price on a 37 year olds Scherzer (who is still dominant) on a reasonable, age appropriate length contract to solidify the top end of the rotation immediately in 2021.

I would much rather have a mediocre SP and a lockdown pen.

Next year we will have Ohtani,  Sandovol, Barria, Crod, Suarez, Detmer.

I would rather have Cobb and a lockdown pen than Schwerzer and a shitty pen.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Extending Iglesias would take about 13 million by itself.

Yes.  I think we need to resign both Iglesias‘szzz.  That’s likely $25M, that leaves about $20M for a SP and bullpen.  And that’s assuming we use internal options to back up Stassi and fill RF.

The bullpen can't be fixed with money, unless you mean money on the scouting. We could allocate $30 million to the pen next year and I bet it would be marginally better at best.

The rotation...can't be fixed with money either but at least there's a chance a guy like Scherzer could be a good investment because he's not getting more than 3 years.

There's also trade options but that's not really the discussion right now.

I think people here, and on any baseball forums are extremely shortsighted (that includes myself). We see the rotation doing well with young guys like Sandoval and C-Rod and Barria so we assume everything is fine there. 

It absolutely as fucking shit is not. When you have a potential strength, and you have spending, you solidify the fuck out of that potential. Look at what the Dodgers have done with their rotation. Even without Bauer (lmao) or Scherzer, they have a WS contending rotation.

I don't know how to fix the bullpen. I'm not a scout. I have no fucking clue who will pitch well in 45 random innings next year. But I do know that throwing money at it isn't the answer. 

I do think this year's draft has given us a quantity of arms to choose from, which is generally where you build a strong bullpen. Add in 1-2 outside pieces, sure. But otherwise just find guys who can get 3 outs on a regular basis.

7 minutes ago, Revad said:

Yes.  I think we need to resign both Iglesias‘szzz.  That’s likely $25M, that leaves about $20M for a SP and bullpen.  And that’s assuming we use internal options to back up Stassi and fill RF.

My guess is resigning both Iglesias would be less than $20 million. Jose will get $3-5 million. 

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Iglesias is currently making 4.5 million.  I do not see him making more than 15 million so that is only 9.5 million off the budget.  

If we have 40 million that would leave approximately 30 million left.

I think it's reasonable to spend 20 million on a starting pitching and 10 million for bullpen. That wint get us Schwerzer.

However we will still need a SS.

I think its important the Angel's see who is ready from the minors that is ready for bullpen.

Edited by stormngt

1 hour ago, Hells Rainbow said:

My guess is resigning both Iglesias would be less than $20 million. Jose will get $3-5 million. 

You are likely correct, HR,  $20M is closer than $25M.  So with a budget of $25M for a SP and a set up guy or two, that could work.  Again, assuming other needs are filled internally.  Plus if you take existing salaries out (pointed out above) it might be less than $10M difference.  If we can retain both Iglesias and have $35M left, with the farm looking up?  Looking good.

Honestly I’m really not a fan of this offseason’s SP market outside of Gausman.  Everyone else is either old and likely looking to get overpaid on a short term deal, probably preferably with a contender, or in that dangerous middle tier that will likely get overpaid and be just as productive as our young guys.  Would much prefer to just trade for one

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

Ok, one last time.

Scherzer's agent is Scott Boras which means Jon Heyman is Scherzer's agent as well. Every time Boras starts a bidding war he throws the Angels out there as an interested party regardless if they are or not and Heyman is his direct line for spreading rumors.

I would not trust anything out of Heyman's Twitter posts regarding any of the Boras clients. 

So go ahead and chase this rumor and invest lots of wasted time on this but it is almost a sure bet the Angels do not invest in a 37 year old pitcher looking for his retirement portfolio contract. 

Incredibly ..... Angels fans take the bait every time.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

I would much rather have a mediocre SP and a lockdown pen.

Next year we will have Ohtani,  Sandovol, Barria, Crod, Suarez, Detmer.

I would rather have Cobb and a lockdown pen than Schwerzer and a shitty pen.

Nobody wants a shitty pen.

The idea that you WILL have a shitty pen if you get Scherzer is a weird argument.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Nobody wants a shitty pen.

The idea that you WILL have a shitty pen if you get Scherzer is a weird argument.

We have had a shitty pen  9 of 10 years.  There is a reason for that!  You say spending on the oen doesn't work.  Well whatever we have been doing hasn't been working either.

If we are not spending it on players than spend it on scouting.   

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We have had a shitty pen  9 of 10 years.  There is a reason for that!  You say spending on the oen doesn't work.  Well whatever we have been doing hasn't been working either.

If we are not spending it on players than spend it on scouting.   

Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of the younger pitchers coming up could be really good bullpen pitchers if they were not needed in the rotation?

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe some of the younger pitchers coming up could be really good bullpen pitchers if they were not needed in the rotation?

If that is the case fine.  I am an advocate of the young starters let's see the young relievers.