• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Extend Cobb?

Extend Cobb?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should we extend Cobb?

• Yes, 3+ years
    • Yes, 2 years
    • Yes, 1 year
    • No, trade him at the deadline
    • No, but don't trade him either
    • Try to work out an extension, if that doesn't work then trade him.

He's 34 next season, and having his best season since 2017 with a career high K% rate and FIP that's a full 1.3 runs below his ERA.  I would absolutely trade him and then hope to resign him in FA if he's available, depending how well he does with his new team.  In terms of what the Angels should ask for, a good starting point would be the 2019 trade that the Reds did when they traded Tanner Roark for the A's #8 prospect and highest rated OF prospect at the time named Jameson Hannah.  Since Cobb is doing better, a slightly better prospect would be ideal as well. 

I could go either way here. 150-ish innings at a 4.00 ERA from a guy who more than likely won't cost a lot?  A guy who could really stabilize the back end of a 6 man rotation that otherwise has lots of youth (with Sandoval/Canning/Detmers)? Sign me up. 

If trading Cobb can somehow make it easier to acquire more pitching (Tyler Anderson, Pablo Lopez, Jon Grey, or reliever-du-jour) or even a catcher, then you obviously do that. 

10 hours ago, tchula said:

I like Cobb a lot, and there is the option of trading him and then trying to resign him anyways (which wasn't listed or I would have traded him).  But, what another poster paraphrased above, Cobb will not get us to the promised land.  He is a solid #4 who is having a good year, but considering his injury history and up and down past, this success could literally turn on a dime.  If he has value and if we can pull a solid pitching prospect who projects as a #3 upside (floating around AA someplace), then I say we pull the trigger.  For me, we need as many pitching prospects as we can get.  I am fully on board trading away every asset we can this year for more talented close to MLB ready arms as we can get.  Because, as much as I am excited about Detmer, CRodriguez, and our new draft choices, we all know that every single one of them panning out is highly unlikely.  Just look how badly Canning has flamed out despite all this talent.  The reality is we need a lot more than what we currently have if we really want to compete.  And for me, this year is a loss.  I have to believe we can somehow muster 3 real quality starting pitching prospects (55 grades overall) by offering Adell, Iglesias (both of them), Cobb, Heaney, Bundy, and Adams to any combination of teams.   For me the biggest take away from this past draft was just how in shambles our minor league pitching situation is.  We can speculate all we want about taking 20 pitchers in 20 rounds (19 being from college).  But the biggest take away for me, was our minor league pitching situation is scary bad, so much so, our draft was historic just to try to rectify it.  

Why do we keep talking about trading Adell??

7 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

He's 34 next season, and having his best season since 2017 with a career high K% rate and FIP that's a full 1.3 runs below his ERA.  I would absolutely trade him and then hope to resign him in FA if he's available, depending how well he does with his new team.  In terms of what the Angels should ask for, a good starting point would be the 2019 trade that the Reds did when they traded Tanner Roark for the A's #8 prospect and highest rated OF prospect at the time named Jameson Hannah.  Since Cobb is doing better, a slightly better prospect would be ideal as well. 

I don't agree with trading him if the hopes are to re-sign him. I think that only works when you KNOW the player wants to come back to the organization. In most cases, it's best to extend him.

47 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I could go either way here. 150-ish innings at a 4.00 ERA from a guy who more than likely won't cost a lot?  A guy who could really stabilize the back end of a 6 man rotation that otherwise has lots of youth (with Sandoval/Canning/Detmers)? Sign me up. 

If trading Cobb can somehow make it easier to acquire more pitching (Tyler Anderson, Pablo Lopez, Jon Grey, or reliever-du-jour) or even a catcher, then you obviously do that. 

I am guessing you are referring to Jon Gray of the Rockies. He is a FA after this season so that move does nothing for us except a slight upgrade for the remainder of the season.

If the Angels really want to secure a TOR type arm, they can use Cobb’s (and/or Heaney) trade value in a three way deal to help land the TOR pitcher.

Trade Cobb to a contender looking for pitching depth for a prospect and add that prospect to a package of Angels prospects to land the TOR pitcher.

21 hours ago, Taylor said:

We have to sell high on Cobb, and even then, I don't know what we could get for him.

Yep. I think we're all going to be letdown on the return for most of these guys we might actually trade.

As @Dochalo mentioned in another thread, the likely best scenario is the return is merely someone who mighr be a serviceable depth type, not an actual prospect.

What little we have to trade, other teams can make similar guys available.

Cobb might get some interest, as Iglesias might. But neither is going to bring back someone we get excited about.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yep. I think we're all going to be letdown on the return for most of these guys we might actually trade.

As @Dochalo mentioned in another thread, the likely best scenario is the return is merely someone who mighr be a serviceable depth type, not an actual prospect.

What little we have to trade, other teams can make similar guys available.

Cobb might get some interest, as Iglesias might. But neither is going to bring back someone we get excited about.

Which is exactly why they need to re-sign Cobb and Iglesias.

56 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I'm not a fan of trading him (Cobb). 

However, I wonder what we would get from the Dodgers if Arte' would let it happen...? 

They are looking for a mid to backend of the rotation guy! With Kershaw, Bauer and other injuries? High ground ball rate in Dodger stadium?....

There would need to be a time limit on completing the deal...if it doesn't get done, all offers are pulled....and Rengifo is untouchable this time....