• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ A's (6/15/2021): Wong at 3B, Iglesias hitting 3rd, Heaney on the mound

20 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I have no clue. I think it would help if we had an Manager that knew how to manage his pitching staff 

No one could manage this pitching staff, it's far too inconsistent and poorly constructed.  Just when it looks like they have a couple of good outings, and they look like they can be trusted in tough situations, they revert to being incapable.

The part that bugs me the worst is the inability to keep reasonable command of their pitches, the walks are killing them.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

so we beat the crap out of some bad teams and then we lose to good teams.  hmm.  I wonder what we are?  Our record is 33-34.  I'm trying to figure it out but I'm at a loss.  Can someone help?

14-6 so far against under .500 teams 

19-28 so far against over .500 teams 

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

14-6 so far against under .500 teams 

19-28 so far against over .500 teams 

I’m curious, when we read these stats does that mean the 19-28 record is against teams that are currently above .500 or they were above .500 when we faced off against them?  

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

with a three run deficit.  God forbid you bring in your best reliever in high leverage.  Hey, let's stunt his development and then misuse him.  

my new goal for this team is to anticipate where Joe will make stupid decisions and then fill those spots with players that can't damage the team.  Oh wait, that means we have to have an all star at every spot.  

I am also frustrated but the roster is still the primary problem.  Nothing will change until the Angels figure out how to acquire pitchers who can be trusted. Every pitcher has an off game but the Angel bullpen seems to have pitchers whose tendency is to have shitty games....a well pitched game for these guys appear to be the outliers and not the norm.

27 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am also frustrated but the roster is still the primary problem.  Nothing will change until the Angels figure out how to acquire pitchers who can be trusted. Every pitcher has an off game but the Angel bullpen seems to have pitchers whose tendency is to have shitty games....a well pitched game for these guys appear to be the outliers and not the norm.

The problem is their extreme inconsistency.

Each guy has been both horrible for solid stretches, then turns it around for a solid stretch, and then tanks again.   Every single guy 

I’ve never seen anything like it. 

Is it Maddon misusing them?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I’m curious, when we read these stats does that mean the 19-28 record is against teams that are currently above .500 or they were above .500 when we faced off against them?  

that's a pretty tough ask for anybody to figure out, as far as the record of each team at the time each game was played. that's like work work.

35 minutes ago, ukyah said:

that's a pretty tough ask for anybody to figure out, as far as the record of each team at the time each game was played. that's like work work.

I wasn’t sure if when you see this stat on baseball reference or wherever how they calculated it.  I wasn’t asking AO to do the work.  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

The problem is their extreme inconsistency.

Each guy has been both horrible for solid stretches, then turns it around for a solid stretch, and then tanks again.   Every single guy 

I’ve never seen anything like it. 

Is it Maddon misusing them?

I think most of the pitchers in the Angels' bullpen would be fine on a team with a competent bullpen.  These pitchers (Shitstack, Hoyt, Claudio, Guerra, Mayer) would achieve some level of consistency if they were in a competent bullpen because they would not be exposed to many high leverage situations.  Other pitchers would assume the high leverage roles allowing the pitchers like Shitstack and others to fill in.  The main problem is that the garbage assembled by Minasian are being used more than they should be used.  Minasian (and Eppler) have consistently assembled bullpens with pitchers who should not be relied on. 

The best analogy I can come up with is that Minasian and Eppler keep purchasing cars made with parts from Harbor Freight and assembled using tools from Harbor Freight to drive across the country.  However, the car does has a kick-ass sound system and leather seats.

29 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I think most of the pitchers in the Angels' bullpen would be fine on a team with a competent bullpen.  These pitchers (Shitstack, Hoyt, Claudio, Guerra, Mayer) would achieve some level of consistency if they were in a competent bullpen because they would not be exposed to many high leverage situations.  Other pitchers would assume the high leverage roles allowing the pitchers like Shitstack and others to fill in.  The main problem is that the garbage assembled by Minasian are being used more than they should be used.  Minasian (and Eppler) have consistently assembled bullpens with pitchers who should not be relied on. 

The best analogy I can come up with is that Minasian and Eppler keep purchasing cars made with parts from Harbor Freight and assembled using tools from Harbor Freight to drive across the country.  However, the car does has a kick-ass sound system and leather seats.

I do not get this high leverage situations. So those pitchers are just mop up pitchers. Your in majors get your job done or find somebody else. 

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not get this high leverage situations. So those pitchers are just mop up pitchers. Your in majors get your job done or find somebody else. 

I think of a bullpen like a batting lineup......you would not want your weakest hitters hitting in lineup spots that are often in high leverage situations.  If the Angel lineup was like the bullpen, Juan Lagares would be hitting second and Kurt Suzuki would be hitting third because there are no better options available.

Every player has a role but not the same role.  The Angels' problem is that they continue trying to use pitchers in roles they can not be successful in over the long term.