• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Latest foreign substance crackdown strikes close to Angels’ clubhouse

ANAHEIM — In February 2020, Major League Baseball sent a memo to its clubs warning of a crackdown on the use of foreign substances by pitchers. The effects of the “crackdown” were not immediate, with one notable exception. Days after the memo was sent, the Angels fired visiting clubhouse manager Bubba Harkins.

Harkins became an unlikely lightning rod for public intrigue. He sued the team, claiming that the publicity surrounding his dismissal damaged his reputation. He identified more than a dozen pitchers by name – including some Angels – who used the substances he provided.

The other shoe dropped Thursday, when MLB discussed the topic of ball doctoring at its owners’ meeting, according to multiple reports. It is expected that the league will at last enforce Rule 6.02, which prohibits pitchers from applying foreign substances to baseballs. The league is expected to communicate how it will enforce the rules in the days to come.

For now, Angels manager Joe Maddon said, “it’s been on us to challenge the other team.”

“That’s difficult to do,” Maddon said. “Of course if you’re blaming somebody on the other team, you might have guys on your own team doing the same thing you’re not aware of.”

The Angels are uncomfortably close to the plot line of MLB’s foreign substance crackdown. The details of Harkins’ legal case included some of the most salient public evidence of a widespread problem. It also included the names of current Angels pitchers Dylan Bundy, Jose Suarez, Dillon Peters and Luke Bard among Harkins’ “clientele.”

Four minor league pitchers have been suspended for the practice in less than a month since their seasons began. One major league pitcher, Cardinals reliever Giovanny Gallegos, had his hat confiscated during a May game when umpire Joe West suspected it contained a foreign substance.

However the league plans to eradicate foreign substances going forward, Maddon said, “I’d be really happy about it.”

Maddon joined the Angels’ major league coaching staff in 1994, the outset of baseball’s so-called “steroid era.” On the same day MLB resolved to penalize performance-enhancing drug users with lifetime suspensions in Nov. 2005, Maddon was hired to manage the Tampa Bay Rays. He drew a straight line from baseball’s PED problem then to its current plight with pitchers using foreign substances.

“When you have a level playing field, then better baseball wins,” Maddon said. “I’ve always felt that when steroids got subtracted, it became level, and at that time the Tampa Bay Rays could ascend. That was my opinion. When it’s imbalanced, with others having great advantages, it becomes problematic. You can be doing a lot of things well or right and you’re not going to be successful because the balance of justice has been tipped.

“Right now there’s no advantage to being a hitter.”

INJURY UPDATES

Right-handed reliever Chris Rodriguez was activated from the 10-day injured list prior to Thursday’s game against the Mariners. Catcher Anthony Bemboom was optioned to Triple-A Salt Lake to make room on the Angels’ active roster.

Rodriguez made two minor league rehabilitation appearances with Triple-A Salt Lake. He allowed two walks, one hit, and one run across three innings. Rodriguez threw 42 pitches in all, including all four of his pitches (fastball, curveball, changeup, slider).

“The biggest thing was to be healthy after those outings,” he said. “I felt great. I felt super loose. Everything was coming out really well. I plan to continue that in these games.”

Center fielder Mike Trout had a boot removed from his right leg that restricted his walking, Maddon said, and is “making progress” in his recovery from a Grade 2 calf strain. There is no timetable for the three-time American League MVP’s return beyond the original 6-to-8-week estimate provided by the team.

Shortstop Jose Iglesias is a day or two away from his return from a strained left hamstring, Maddon said. David Fletcher continued to fill in at shortstop Thursday in Iglesias’ absence.

ALSO

The Angels signed veteran reliever Jake Petricka to a minor league contract. The 32-year-old right-hander is 10-12 with a 3.96 earned-run average across seven major league seasons with the White Sox, Blue Jays and Brewers. … The Angels’ home game against the Kansas City Royals next Wednesday was selected for a Wednesday Night Baseball telecast by ESPN. The broadcast will not be blacked out locally. … Nine Angels are listed on the All-Star Ballot, which is now open to fan voting on MLB’s website: Trout, Justin Upton and Taylor Ward (outfielder), Jared Walsh (first base), Fletcher (second base), Anthony Rendon (third base), Iglesias (shortstop), Kurt Suzuki (catcher) and Shohei Ohtani (designated hitter).

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 1-1, 2.72 ERA) vs. Mariners (RHP Robert Dugger, 0-1, 6.23), Friday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

Staff writer Jeff Fletcher contributed to this story.

View the full article

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m about to ask the least “on brand” question ever.  Does anyone here think that part of the reason Shohei isn’t throwing 98-100 mph fastballs these past couple of outings is perhaps he was using the sticky stuff, and now isn’t?  

It's possible I suppose. Not sure how this shit impacts velocity, but maybe he was getting movement on his fastball and that's why he had almost 0 command of that pitch.

His cutter is still absolutely ridiculous, though.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It's possible I suppose. Not sure how this shit impacts velocity, but maybe he was getting movement on his fastball and that's why he had almost 0 command of that pitch.

His cutter is still absolutely ridiculous, though.

I thought I read the higher that higher spin rate creates higher velocity. I could have misunderstood it.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

higher spin rates create more movement or 'perceived' movement but it's as much about the axis that the spin occurs on relative to the pitchers arm angle.    

I went to public school so I don't quite understand but I think I get the gist.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I thought I read the higher that higher spin rate creates higher velocity. I could have misunderstood it.  

Spin can be measured on any type of pitch but the primary benefit is more movement.

So basically, spin is spin -- some guys see both go up but more spin doesn't really mean more velocity, it tends to give a pitch more bite/movement.  But, it's worth noting that everyone is trying to add both spin and velocity and I too have seen the things mentioned as if they go hand in hand.

G Richards was a spin beast on pretty much everything he threw.

Ball movement is determined by the pressure differences generated by threads on a spinning ball.  The more the ball rotates on its axis in a given distance, the greater the pressure differences on the sides of the ball.  The ball will always move towards the side with the lower pressure, essentially analogous to how a wing works in generating lift.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I guess my point is it has more merit because it was unsolicited.  

Maybe. I don't see it as proof that he's not using something, though. But I also say, "innocent until proven guilty" and, as a baseball fan, am just enjoying the great season deGrom is putting together and hope he can keep that ERA under 1.00.