• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

10 day suspensions coming for all pitchers caught using sticky substances

mmc

I think it was @ettin on Twitter who pointed out that teams can’t replace the player on the roster for the 10 games they are suspended, so that should help a bit. Especially if one guy gets suspended then the next starter has to think long and hard about whether or not they should risk it. 

While I agree that blaming the injury is mostly misplaced aggression, it is pretty much universally agreed upon that the balls are too slick.  So if the ball is slick, and you aren’t using anything to get a better grip, wouldn’t it make sense that you would then grip the ball tighter, thus potentially causing an injury?  If everything was allowed, sunscreen and rosin, then it was taken away, wouldn’t that at least be part of the problem?  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think it was @ettin on Twitter who pointed out that teams can’t replace the player on the roster for the 10 games they are suspended, so that should help a bit. Especially if one guy gets suspended then the next starter has to think long and hard about whether or not they should risk it. 

Actually it was a retweet from @GregAlso, but yes that is a tougher penalty for any team.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While I agree that blaming the injury is mostly misplaced aggression, it is pretty much universally agreed upon that the balls are too slick.  So if the ball is slick, and you aren’t using anything to get a better grip, wouldn’t it make sense that you would then grip the ball tighter, thus potentially causing an injury?  If everything was allowed, sunscreen and rosin, then it was taken away, wouldn’t that at least be part of the problem?  

The MLB baseballs I've actually held do seem too slick, IMO. And the seams are super low. It's been a few years, so maybe they're different for better or worse now. I just remember at one point comparing an MLB ball and a ball used in Big 12 play, and the difference in both the feel and the seams was massive.

I heard an interesting thing on MLB radio.  They say that having the substances gives pitcher a better grip and thus better control, but that may or may not be true.  We've just accepted it as fact. 

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I heard an interesting thing on MLB radio.  They say that having the substances gives pitcher a better grip and thus better control, but that may or may not be true.  We've just accepted it as fact. 

It's certainly an argument a lot of guys make, and it might be at least somewhat true. But the base culprit for guys getting hit (and way more often it seems lately) is everybody throwing with EVERYTHING they have every pitch. Now some substances might allow guys to throw those max effort pitches and control them consistently, which is great. Or they could take a little bit off and probably achieve a similar or better result (in regard to not hitting people). So IMO the safety argument doesn't negate the competitive advantage argument. If anything, I'd say it solidifies it.

2 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Suddenly taking a hard line stance and enforcing this midway into the season is some amateur shit. Not sure why MLB didn't just do this in the offseason

this is my biggest issue.  give guys a little time to experiment with the way they used to throw stuff and how they need to on a go forward without worrying about if they're gonna hit a guy in the back of the head with their splitter.  It's amazing how little foresight mlb has.  

It will be interesting to see the effects of this on pitcher more stats wise and injury. 

regarding Glasnow, he had forearm strain in 2019, which usually leads to TJ. Verlander had TJ and he has been know to use foreign substance with Astros. 

it's really something to see thses pitchers throwing a tantrum now