• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Indians (03/10/2021)

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think most would agree that Rengifo had impressed so far this Spring, but Barreto hasn't been too far behind. I'm looking the way this team lines up. Both Barreto and Rengifo are better than your typical utility infielder. 

Maddon always seems to have a good UT on every team he's associated with. 

Agreed, but one guy that has really impressed me is Walsh. Just his whole story being a 39th round pick he just seems solid at the plate. Also has a good glove. Should 100% be the Opening Day starter at 1b

Lagares has opened eyes as well

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No bullshit, if they keep defending like they have early on this shit isn't going to suck.   Good lord it's been night and day so far this ST and last year.  Even the third string dudes are picking it.

I know we've been on this train for awhile now but if the defense is good it solves a lot of the perceived pitching problems.

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Remember Keynan Middleton? Today he gave up 3 home runs, 5 ER in one inning of relief work. He's given up 4 HR's across 3 innings with a robust 21.00 ERA this spring for the Mariners. 😱

Miniasin is a genius. He sent booby traps around the league. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Remember Keynan Middleton? Today he gave up 3 home runs, 5 ER in one inning of relief work. He's given up 4 HR's across 3 innings with a robust 21.00 ERA this spring for the Mariners. 😱

Apparently the M's spring training fans haven't cheered hard enough.. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think most would agree that Rengifo had impressed so far this Spring, but Barreto hasn't been too far behind. I'm looking the way this team lines up. Both Barreto and Rengifo are better than your typical utility infielder. 

Maddon always seems to have a good UT on every team he's associated with. 

I was thinking about this more, and I know you’ve been on the future shortstop train. I mean I think I agree more and more. It’s be awesome to have a Seager or Baez type in the lineup. But if he shows good stuff this year he’s way cheaper. They can use that money elsewhere and have a speedy, switch hitting bat in the lineup. I think it’s something to watch. 

I'm telling you guys, Angels rotation has been pretty underrated, even by local fans. I think Cobb gets his ERA under 4.00 this year. I believe Cobb, Bundy, Ohtani and Canning are going to be very good this year. 

Sneaky good rotation, solid defense unit, good depth and some team chemistry to go with it. Minasian may have done a low-key solid job this winter. 

Just now, ThisismineScios said:

I was thinking about this more, and I know you’ve been on the future shortstop train. I mean I think I agree more and more. It’s be awesome to have a Seager or Baez type in the lineup. But if he shows good stuff this year he’s way cheaper. They can use that money elsewhere and have a speedy, switch hitting bat in the lineup. I think it’s something to watch. 

The thing with Rengifo and Barreto is they you don't want to lose either of them to a roster crunch. They're both too good for that. Barreto didn't get a fair shake with the A's and still possesses decent upside, and Rengifo has shown everything you want in a leadoff hitting middle infielder. He gets on base, he can run, bats from both sides of the plate and is a decent defender wherever you put him.

If I had to make some random guess as to how it goes, I think Barreto gets the utility job and performs well this year, but defensively, he isn't a great SS. Iglesias will also do well for the Angels this year but he'll enter FA next winter, save Rengifo tears it up in AAA and really opens some eyes in Anaheim. They won't want to lose him, and they also don't want to move Fletcher away from 2B where he'll win a gold glove this year. So they'll roll with Rengifo at SS, Barreto at utility, and just until Jeremiah Jackson is ready in 2024. 

It's only ST, but certainly this team looks better than it did last year, despite a lot of the same players.  Have to imagine part of that is Maddon and part of that is perhaps philosophies that Minasian's FO has helped put in place during the offseason.  Scouting reports, swing adjustments, pitching mechanic changes, etc - all of these things occur behind the scenes, and I have to imagine a good amount of it is due to the FO + coaching staff.