• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels banking on team chemistry to lift their performances

45 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I'm not sure it is that easy.  I believe that John Wooden once said that winning is not the goal but the byproduct of every player and coach wanting to get better.  I suspect that team chemistry creates the environment for players to access the information they need to improve (from coaches and other players) and the motivation to improve because others (coaches and players) are genuinely interested and invested in your performance.

Then again, it might all be bullshit.

Its not bullshit.  It is very true.

Another HOF basketball coach said he never talked about winning.  He said his goals were:

1. To be the hardest working team in the country

And

2. Have pride in themselves and teammates.

Winning is a by product of reaching those goals.

That said, you could be the hardest working team in history and have all the pride in the world.  If you do not have talent,  you are not going top win.

The issue of chemistry only impacts the game when there is a slight disparity of talent between teams.

Edited by stormngt

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

I will say this for the chemistry narrative, the last time the Angels went to the playoffs was 2014, and that was the year they brought in John MacDonald to be the utility infielder, and also specifically, the clubhouse leader.

I don't believe in coincidence, but I also don't think Johnny-Mac was singularly instrumental in that team making the playoffs. A lot of players played up to their potential in 2014, and that's supposed to coincide with teams with a tightly knit clubhouse. 

Was gonna mention this.

I was around that team a lot. And the ones just before it. The team was different that year. Felt like the Lackey / Mathis / Napoli days....

Obviously winning helps chemistry. But that 14 team was definitely tighter than the years just before it.

When you guys say “winning helps chemistry” I think you’re talking about “camaraderie.” Yeah, people are happier when they win and they get along better. 

That’s not really what the story is about. I think it’s more about players motivating each other, helping each other, supporting each other, etc. 

I'm willing to believe there's something to it, but I'm gonna have to see it in order to believe it.

If the Angels do outperform expectations this year, I'm gonna start to believe in it. But it's hard for me (and I'd assume for others fans as well) to buy into something I haven't seen come to fruition.

I'd be thrilled if there is some magic to team chemistry and that Minasian has cracked its' code.

19 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When you guys say “winning helps chemistry” I think you’re talking about “camaraderie.” Yeah, people are happier when they win and they get along better. 

That’s not really what the story is about. I think it’s more about players motivating each other, helping each other, supporting each other, etc. 

This is one of those stories that'll be really fascinating to look back on after the season.

In October we may be looking back at this and thinking about what a genius Minasian is. Or we may look back on it and say that it didn't really do anything.

Time will tell.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:18 PM, Second Base said:

I will say this for the chemistry narrative, the last time the Angels went to the playoffs was 2014, and that was the year they brought in John MacDonald to be the utility infielder, and also specifically, the clubhouse leader.

I don't believe in coincidence, but I also don't think Johnny-Mac was singularly instrumental in that team making the playoffs. A lot of players played up to their potential in 2014, and that's supposed to coincide with teams with a tightly knit clubhouse. 

So, basically, we should bring JM back as an infield coach?