• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

GameDay Thread: Angels @ Giants 2/28/2021

jsnpritchett

17 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

There was a poll. A good amount of users stated they would be fine with the Angels not winning a world series if it means Trout staying with them his whole career rather than trading Trout and winning a World Series.

People actually chose the former?

Lagares made a nice play going back on a ball in CF early in the game. It'd be nice for the Angels to have a true stud defender as their 4th outfielder.

Last season, Taylor Ward and Jo Adell were coming in as defensive replacements for Upton. To put in a guy like Lagares over Upton would be a massive difference late in games.

23 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Yes it did. There was a poll here. Plenty of users voted they are fine with just watching Trout play his whole career for the Angels even if it meant the Angels didn't win a World Series rather than trading him and winning a World Series. You probably just conveniently "forgot."

I voted Trout but I’d like to see how the poll was written. My logic if I remember correctly was, I’ve seen my favorite team win a World Series. I’ve never seen my team draf and develop and keep an inner circle hall of famer for his entire career. 

@beatlesrule Hey I didn't want to butt into the argument. All I wanted to add in is just how much you shouldn't read into prospect rankings. Really, really. 

They're all looking at and for the same thing, and copying off one another in an effort to legitimatize their work. MLB.com, BP, BA, ESPN, FG....all of them. And it changes so frequently. FanGraphs used to be the worst when it comes to prospects. And now as far as I can tell, they're probably the best. And brand new start up fan sites for the most part feed into this with sensationalism and click bait. 

Let me break it down Barney style. If the hitter is a skinny, high waisted 18 year old that's at least 6'2, has a natural uppercut and plays football in high school, he's going in the first round of the draft and will be a top 100 prospect. Period. If it's a pitcher, and they are over 6'2 and skinny, and throw 95+ and are still starting pitchers after Advanced A Ball, they're a top 100 prospect. If they play for the Yankees, bump their ranking up about 25 spots. And not to be racist, but if they're black, that helps too. That's just the way the prospect hype machine operates.

It's not AP Physics, it's 6th grade Punnet Squares. 

Guys like Adell, Marsh, Adams, they fit the mold and thus get the benefit of the hype machine. David Fletcher and Jared Walsh? Not so much. 

The best way I can put it is to say, look at individual team sites that are well established and aren't afraid to break the mold. Purple Row for the Rockies, Gaslamp for the Padres, AngelsWin for the Angels. And as far as the national publications go, watch the prospects, go with your instinct and if the publication match up, great. If they don't, then wait and see who's right, you or ESPN. 

22 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@beatlesrule Hey I didn't want to butt into the argument. All I wanted to add in is just how much you shouldn't read into prospect rankings. Really, really. 

They're all looking at and for the same thing, and copying off one another in an effort to legitimatize their work. MLB.com, BP, BA, ESPN, FG....all of them. And it changes so frequently. FanGraphs used to be the worst when it comes to prospects. And now as far as I can tell, they're probably the best. And brand new start up fan sites for the most part feed into this with sensationalism and click bait. 

Let me break it down Barney style. If the hitter is a skinny, high waisted 18 year old that's at least 6'2, has a natural uppercut and plays football in high school, he's going in the first round of the draft and will be a top 100 prospect. Period. If it's a pitcher, and they are over 6'2 and skinny, and throw 95+ and are still starting pitchers after Advanced A Ball, they're a top 100 prospect. If they play for the Yankees, bump their ranking up about 25 spots. And not to be racist, but if they're black, that helps too. That's just the way the prospect hype machine operates.

It's not AP Physics, it's 6th grade Punnet Squares. 

Guys like Adell, Marsh, Adams, they fit the mold and thus get the benefit of the hype machine. David Fletcher and Jared Walsh? Not so much. 

The best way I can put it is to say, look at individual team sites that are well established and aren't afraid to break the mold. Purple Row for the Rockies, Gaslamp for the Padres, AngelsWin for the Angels. And as far as the national publications go, watch the prospects, go with your instinct and if the publication match up, great. If they don't, then wait and see who's right, you or ESPN. 

I do read different sites and opinions. Again, Adell has been talked up buy multiple sites/people so that's why I have very high expectations from him. I've posted this before but my eye test has Walsh being the better player but I am no expert in scouting so my opinion means very little. The fact that Adell has not been traded despite his stock being high means the ORG is extremely high on him too so of course I expect big things. So far though, he looks clueless at the plate and in the field.

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I do read different sites and opinions. Again, Adell has been talked up buy multiple sites/people so that's why I have very high expectations from him. I've posted this before but my eye test has Walsh being the better player but I am no expert in scouting so my opinion means very little. The fact that Adell has not been traded despite his stock being high means the ORG is extremely high on him too so of course I expect big things. So far though, he looks clueless at the plate and in the field.

Well that's good that you're reading different sites. It sounds like you're well aware of how the hype machine operates then. 

Every once in a while, a player Congress along that is just so dang good that every outlet gets it right, relatively speaking. Trout, Acuna, Tatis all come to mind. But keep in mind, those guys are the exception, not the rule. You shouldn't expect every top prospect to be that good immediately. Look at guys like Buxton, Sano, Baez, Soler, Bryant, etc.... They were all very hyped prospects. I wouldn't call them busts just because they aren't HOF caliber players as much as I'd just understand that the hype machine went overboard on these guys, as it tends to do, and they ended up being more good than great.

That's what you should expect from Adell. That he'll be a good major leaguer. 

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Well that's good that you're reading different sites. It sounds like you're well aware of how the hype machine operates then. 

Every once in a while, a player Congress along that is just so dang good that every outlet gets it right, relatively speaking. Trout, Acuna, Tatis all come to mind. But keep in mind, those guys are the exception, not the rule. You shouldn't expect every top prospect to be that good immediately. Look at guys like Buxton, Sano, Baez, Soler, Bryant, etc.... They were all very hyped prospects. I wouldn't call them busts just because they aren't HOF caliber players as much as I'd just understand that the hype machine went overboard on these guys, as it tends to do, and they ended up being more good than great.

That's what you should expect from Adell. That he'll be a good major leaguer. 

There is one thread where Adell is ranked #2. I believe the next year he was ranked 3.

Bottomline he is has been a top 5 prospect depending on the site/article/scouts for like 3 years.

Regarding trading Trout and winning a WS or him staying and Angels not winning, it's fine to be player first team second but I am always team first, player 2nd. I want to see my team win as many championships as possible but that's ME. If people are okay with just seeing the Angels win in 2002 and never seeing them win again or not winning while Trout is on the team, that's okay too. It's mind bottling to me but I don't need to understand. Oh and Tatis and Acuna are not sure things IMO. Puig was amazing his first 2 seasons and look what happened. Let's see how those 2 guys are doing in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

People actually chose the former?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I voted Trout but I’d like to see how the poll was written. My logic if I remember correctly was, I’ve seen my favorite team win a World Series. I’ve never seen my team draf and develop and keep an inner circle hall of famer for his entire career. 

Thank you google.

If Chris Rodriguez or Detmers, or any of the other young arms step up, this discussion may be a moot point.  

Ohtani has looked healthy, and he's dealing.  Canning and Heaney are healthy.  One or two of the young arms come through, and the team has the ability to make a playoff run, possibly a deep playoff run.