• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

28 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/13/is-the-united-states-of-america-a-republic-or-a-democracy/?utm_term=.23eea68826db

I often hear people argue that the United States is a republic, not a democracy. But that’s a false dichotomy. A common definition of “republic” is, to quote the American Heritage Dictionary, “A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them” — we are that. A common definition of “democracy” is, “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives” — we are that, too.

The United States is not a direct democracy, in the sense of a country in which laws (and other government decisions) are made predominantly by majority vote. Some lawmaking is done this way, on the state and local levels, but it’s only a tiny fraction of all lawmaking. But we are a representative democracy, which is a form of democracy...

Which is why we have the Electoral College. 

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Montana has 3 electoral votes that's one vote for every 354,000 people. California has 55 electoral that's 1 electoral vote for every 727,000 people.

And this why the Yankees kill it in all star votes, putting Jeter as the starting shortstop even though he never played a game that season. 

Are you getting how fucking retarded the entire argument you are posing is? 

If there were a 70% republican voting block in California you would be screaming for an electoral college not against your own self interests. You are only arguing for your party politics.

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

It actually does not.  You just don’t like what the voices coming from there have to say. 

Did you read about Trumps rally last night ? Do you consider that an example of “mob mentality” 

It's a rally, so yes. 

You said homogenous groups are prone to it.

College campuses like to think they're the absolute opposite of that (diversity!), yet would anyone argue college campuses are the worst example of group think today? Seriously, it's the biggest living example of "with us or against us", right down to the faculty.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

@Ace-Of-Diamonds, i'm curious. Do you think small (geographically speaking in a relative sense), densely populated cities like NY and LA are susceptible to falling victim to group think and mob mentality?

I don't really care to truly participate in this discussion because it's stupid, but what makes you think that NY and LA are relatively small cities geograpically? I'd bet they're both (speaking in a relative sense) pretty big cities when considered in terms of area

29 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I don't really care to truly participate in this discussion because it's stupid, but what makes you think that NY and LA are relatively small cities geograpically? I'd bet they're both (speaking in a relative sense) pretty big cities when considered in terms of area

Maybe I worded that poorly. I'm mostly meaning in a sense of people per square mile. You're probably right in that they're some of the largest cities in our country geographically, but at the same time they're super dense with people.

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

There weren't any small states then. The ONLY reason the electoral college exists is because at the constitution was written the average person never traveled more than 20 miles from home. They had no idea who the person running for President was. They voted for someone more local who voted for the President. With radio, TV, and the internet if someone doesn't who the canidates are they shouldn't vote at all.

It took the 17th amendment to allow direct elections of U. S. Senators. From 1789 to 1913, when the Seventeenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, senators were elected by state legislatures.

You've very impressively carried the torch for this for 18 months. Have you always/frequently felt this way or is it just because your girl lost?

Edited by Tank

5 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Never voted for Hillary or Trump. Just think the EC is outdated. Slavery has been abolished and the time has come today.

so wait, did you vote at all in this past election? if not, i'm not sure what all your fussing is about.

and it's a rare day that the EC is used in comparison with slavery. well done!