• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

3 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

The problem with armed cops or guards at schools is plainly obvious to most, it's just ignored it seems.

There is already lots of tension these days with kids and law enforcement. Putting a bunch of them in every school is going to crank that up and cause pure chaos.

So turn the teachers into the cops ? 

Never mind all the obvious issues with teachers also having to be the armed guardians of the school.  How about the relationship that is created between an armed educator and a kid.  Doesn’t that create a pretty fucked power dynamic ? 

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Never mind all the obvious issues with teachers also having to be the armed guardians of the school.  How about the relationship that is created between an armed educator and a kid.  Doesn’t that create a pretty fucked power dynamic ? 

No, but allowing teachers who are capable to have every opportunity to protect their kids in the event of a terrible situation is hardly a terrible idea. You guys are taking the extra precaution of allowing capable teachers to be armed and turning it into acting like people want teachers to be Rambo. Gigantic logic fail.

Just think about it, use a little common sense. You hear a gunman firing his way down the hall, you quickly grab your gun out of a safe, then you and your kids are huddled in the corner behind some desks or something and he comes in the room. How is it not a good thing to be able to fire back when a threat barges in instead of holding each other while you're shot at?

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well, it may improve the homework turn in deadlines.

59 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Just think about it, use a little common sense. You hear a gunman firing his way down the hall, you quickly grab your gun out of a safe, then you and your kids are huddled in the corner behind some desks or something and he comes in the room. How is it not a good thing to be able to fire back when a threat barges in instead of holding each other while you're shot at?

How good is it you fire back through an opened door and nail some kid running away from the gunfire and looking for safe harbor. That really helps the situation a lot. 

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

If that is your idea of what would happen then it's definitely not worth the risks that come with putting guns in classrooms. What is needed is people who would be willing to engage the shooter and stop him, not a few teachers who would be hiding behind their desks scared out of their minds waiting for a psychopath with an AK to come into their classroom. Plus chances are slim that the shooter will enter a classroom with an armed teacher if you are not going to arming majority of the classrooms.  

4 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

No, but allowing teachers who are capable to have every opportunity to protect their kids in the event of a terrible situation is hardly a terrible idea. You guys are taking the extra precaution of allowing capable teachers to be armed and turning it into acting like people want teachers to be Rambo. Gigantic logic fail.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of teachers are "capable" of not only holding a weapon, but effectively using it in an extreme-threat, high-stress scenario. It's not like schools are full of teachers who are ex-military.

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I think lots of teachers would be very comfortable standing safely outside a school while the kids inside are being slaughtered.

Unfortunate that these cops failed to live up to the ridiculous fantasy that people have come to expect. 

except when they’re dealing with Blacks or Mexicans.  Then it’s cool for them to put themselves first. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I think lots of teachers would be very comfortable standing safely outside a school while the kids inside are being slaughtered.

Mr. Woodrow, my 8th grade math teacher with the severe lazy eye, probably would have. Couldn't blame him though since we were such assholes to him. 

Or he would have shot us trying to protect us because of said lazy eye. 

47 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Unfortunate that these cops failed to live up to the ridiculous fantasy that people have come to expect. 

except when they’re dealing with Blacks or Mexicans.  Then it’s cool for them to put themselves first. 

The ridiculous fantasy of protecting those kids. I mean, it's not like that was their job or anything. 

BTW the Parkland police managed pass the sheriffs and enter the school. I guess fantasies are real. 

7 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Tank, I don't know if I am comfortable with the teacher/gun thing but it isn't all teachers.  It would only be folks who are comfortable and confident in handling them.  

I'd be a lot more willing if the discussion looked at other security measures far ahead of this wacky idea of putting guns in the hands of teachers. Sadly, that hasn't been the case. 

Tighten the entry points on campus. Build better fencing to secure the perimeter of the campus. Add security cameras all over. Hire trained guards (not from broward county hopefully), use stronger doors and make entry into a classroom as difficult as it can possibly be, etc. discussion about measures like these have been largely absent. We've gone from zero to infinity by jumping directly to arming teachers.

i think too many people are greatly undervaluing the amount of compassion involved in this career. Arming teachers and expecting them to fire requires the shutting off of this ability, and I don't think I know anyone who could do that, especially since the likelihood of the shooter being a former student is exceptionally high. 

The fact that they are teachers shouldn't matter. The fact of the matter is that they have in their care a little under 30 or so children during every weekday.

Individuals in that position who are capable of handling a weapon responsibly should be given every opportunity to do so in the name of protecting those kids, not be held back by red tape because people are scared of guns. It would save a whole hell of a lot more lives than it would ever cost, that is what matters.

11 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

The fact that they are teachers shouldn't matter. The fact of the matter is that they have in their care a little under 30 or so children during every weekday.

Individuals in that position who are capable of handling a weapon responsibly should be given every opportunity to do so in the name of protecting those kids, not be held back by red tape because people are scared of guns. It would save a whole hell of a lot more lives than it would ever cost, that is what matters.

and again, you're completely ignoring a multitude of issues that would be associated with this.

there's something inherently wrong with skipping steps 1, 2, and 3 and jumping right to step #48.

20 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

That would require arming every teacher in every classroom. If not the shooter could kill at will as long as he picks the right class rooms. There is a hole in that way of thinking. I'm positive not every teacher wants to or is capable to handle a firearm.

8 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

That would require arming every teacher in every classroom. If not the shooter could kill at will as long as he picks the right class rooms. There is a hole in that way of thinking. I'm positive not every teacher wants to or is capable to handle a firearm.

Very true. There is no scenario in which ALL teachers should be armed. That is not the job that they signed up for. Only select teachers should ever have access to a gun in the classroom. As far as armed (non teacher) personnel, that should be increased. I'd like to believe that most would act differently than the resource officer did in Parkland.

22 hours ago, Tank said:

This isnt about politics with me. I'm a Christian republican who doesn't like kids killing kids. You're drawing inaccurate conclusions on your own.

common sense? Are you kidding me? You're not getting any of my points it seems, nor do you grasp what we have to do in classrooms and schools. You're swinging at low hanging fruit by saying teachers should be armed without consideration of a multitude of issues that will be affected by this. I don't have the time to keep explanaing those ramifications to you.

and the kids are indeed scared today, but not because we talk about what to do. They're scared because they see what kids their age are doing and read about it ad nauseum on social media. They see blowhards like you that aren't willing to do anything to reduce the chance of this problem from entering their doors because of your skewed political beliefs. Talk about a lack of common sense . . .

Let's set aside that you're a Christian Republican and I'm a blowhard. This is supposed to be a political forum, so let's talk politics, which I unfortunately enjoy.  I didn't realize there are a few teachers here and some who have spouses who are in education. 4-5 maybe at least.

So kids who are in the 6th - 7th grade are seeing 2nd amendment advocates and they think we don't give a sh*t about their welfare.? Where  are they getting this idea, if at all. Just curious, have you mentioned the NRA to them?

I personally know 8 teachers by last count, and think NONE of them should touch a weapon.

How about only teachers who have former military experience be allowed to carry a concealed weapon?

Seems like common sense, si?

And stop telling the kids you could get killed......