• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Not sure why you are addressing me but my wife is a teacher and she just had a lockdown drill with her students last week where they all went to their designated areas to hide inside their classroom. Her door is always locked so it makes her room a harder target for someone looking to rack up some quick kills or take hostages.

We've discussed her carrying after the San Bernardino massacre not very far from where she used to work. It would be impractical and against district rules for her to conceal/carry even if permitted and she admits that pulling the trigger may not be in her to do. 

My opinion is arming teachers is a poor idea and a waste of money putting the security of the school in the hands of those that are not trained nor would ever become trained enough to act effectively in a shootout. The logistics of safely storing the designated teachers firearm is impractible as well as prevention of having that weapon not stolen or taken from the teacher and used against them and students. 

Edited by Blarg

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The shooter was an untrained teenager, while the deputy was an ex-solider, and trained police officer. The sheriff saw the video and knew what could have, should have been done. I will believe his version over yours since you aren't police and haven't seen the video.

This entire paragraph is bullshit. The Sherriff saw what that guy couldn't and made his statement based on hubris. 

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

My point is only that the purpose of having law enforcement on campus should be to keep non-students out, not to return fire once he saunters in starts shooting

He isn't stationed at all of the entrances of the school at the same time. This isn't like a military compound where you have staffed enough personnel to seal of all points of entry. 

19 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m mostly with you on this topic man but you’re being pretty unreasonable here.  The guy didn’t preform great.  That doesn’t make him a contemptible gutless rat.  Even a swat team suddenly surprised by this situation wouldn’t have shut it down in 5 mins or less.  

This guy is probably just hanging out and shit goes down.  Let’s try and have a realistic perspective here.  It’s not like he was in a hallway with the guy and hid in a locker.  He didn’t aggressively seek to engage maybe several shooters in 4 mins.  That was his mistake.  

That wasn't a mistake. I'm not envolved in law enforcement but I doubt any training outside of pure mercenary work says enter that hallway alone.

I agree with Blarg here, which obviously means if the two of us agree, we must be correct.

How someone reacts in a crisis situation such as that is impossible to predict. Police officers, military, and the likes get extensive training and even then when you are actually put in that situation you have no idea how you are going to react...each time. 

Really easy to play armchair quarterback from the safety of your keyboard declaring you'd run in their like Rambo without extensive training.

That's one of the reasons why the idea of arming teachers is so asinine. 

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I concur.  Throwing this guy under the bus is just a way to deflect from more important discussions.

Trump calling the guy a coward is, well................................Trumpish.  Just par for the course for our so tactful president.

I am the most anti-Trump person on this board. I know he would have hid under a desk in that situation. What I find even more hypocritical is him being the commander in chief of the military. Sending soldiers into harm's way after dodging the draft 4 different times in the Vietnam Era.

As far as deputy do nothing goes, I'm sure his fellow officers are ashamed to belong to the same organization as him. he makes the entire sheriff's department look bad.

I agree that arming the teachers is the worst idea ever. The shooter would quite possibly make teacher the #1 target before turning on other targets.

40 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I think you may need to reevaluate your interpretation of UTH's post. He's basically saying that.

We are both on the same side of the argument, his last sentence kind of threw off his argument. Seemed out of place.

To those who are opposed to arming teachers ~ have you actually listened to Trump's idea, or are you listening to CNN's interpretation?

He's saying that teachers who have military experience, maybe 10-20% of the school teacher population, and are adept with firearms, would have a conceal carry permit.  He believes teachers love their students and want to protect them anyway they can.

He's not talking about arming my sister-in-law or blargs' wife.

Also, I don't know what to think about the deputy, yet, but I know I don't like the way the Sheriff handled it.

1 hour ago, yvangelfan said:

To those who are opposed to arming teachers ~ have you actually listened to Trump's idea, or are you listening to CNN's interpretation?

He's saying that teachers who have military experience, maybe 10-20% of the school teacher population, and are adept with firearms, would have a conceal carry permit.  He believes teachers love their students and want to protect them anyway they can.

He's not talking about arming my sister-in-law or blargs' wife.

Also, I don't know what to think about the deputy, yet, but I know I don't like the way the Sheriff handled it.

Trump says the teacher's gun would be in a safe that could only be accessed by the teacher's fingerprint.

2 hours ago, LHalo said:

If a teacher wants to train and be approved for a CCW then he should be allowed to carry. Gun free zones at schools are asinine. It simply creates an even softer target.

defending the kids should be done by people other than the teachers. guns in the classrooms should be the absolute final, last resort. hire security guards - enough of them - so that they can hopefully head off any intruders prior to them reaching areas where students are. this would also require schools to tighten up their entry points on every campus. tighten those up first and foremost, reducing ways shooters can gain access before we talk about about strapping them.

1 hour ago, yvangelfan said:

Trump says the teacher's gun would be in a safe that could only be accessed by the teacher's fingerprint.

when the alarm sounds, when am i supposed to go get the gun? i'm going to have full of kids who are going to be pissing their pants when the lockdown alarm sounds. not only do i have to get them into the safest place possible, i have to get them quiet, which will be no easy task with a bunch of 12/13 year olds in an emergency. i'm also tasked with helping them as much as possible to be settled down and to follow my directions. i don't think people realize how big of a job this is going to be under those circumstances. leaving them to go to a safe and fetch my glock will directly take me away from them at a time when they're going to need me to be with them every single microsecond. and this is for kids that are older and supposedly more mature.

you know what i did yesterday? i had to talk to my 7th graders about what to do if a shooter came into our room and shot me, then left. Eff that. you want me and the kids to be safe, then build a friggin' fortress around my school so the crazies can't get on campus. hire security guards to intercept them at any point along the way. arming teachers and asking them to turn off their compassion to aim and fire at someone who very likely is a former student is not within the realm of possible for roughly 99.99% of us, especially older teachers.

arming teachers is not the solution to this problem.