• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

17 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Thomas, i'm genuinely curious what you're referring to regarding the Trump comparisons to Hitler.

Do you have a study you can cite that draws the comparisons between the two?

I focus more on how Hitler coalesced power in the early days than what he did with the power once gained. That is where I see the most similarities. There are number of famous bellwethers for such a comparison. See also the not subtle digs at the Reagan administration during the 1980s when many in Hollywood were convinced he was the next fascist. Oh...the good old days. The V minseries. They Live. Subtle they were not.

The first is Trump's ability to antagonize the left until they do something stupid. Yes making the left do something stupid right now isn't that high of a bar. But he is the unquestioned master of it. He is so under their skin that he is practically their puppet master. Yet he is adept enough to make the left think that they are the ones controlling him. But worse are these neo-nazi protests with the clear intention of inciting violence in sensitive areas. If they aren't connected with Trump they aren't really a big deal. It's not as if they wouldn't try it on their own. But if there is a connection they may be trying to recreate effects similar to the Altona Bloody Sunday riots of 1932 of making his opposition seem scarier than him. If I hear one more millennial think they're "helping" by publicly wishing vigilante violence upon these groups... 

Other concerning traits. Attacking the common foes of fascism. Scientists and news media. Granted this is hard because they are the common foe of conservatives in this country regardless but it is another box checked. Seriously. This box has been filled like a mad 5th grader with a pencil fetish as no previous president has ever done. Trying on a daily basis to discredit CNN more than they do themselves is serious stuff. Utterly unprecedented in this country, even if previous Presidents have WANTED to do it on occasion.

He has run on a populist platform not seen in this country since the 1930s. Perhaps with the exception of George Wallace's campaign if you consider that mainstream.   But sufficed to say he has found his scapegoat classes and tapped into the resentment that exists in this country in ways I would have thought impractical in this day and age. And since I don't believe he is at all sincere in these beliefs I worry which playbook he decided to use.

He has an unquestionable ability to dictate message and manipulate the weak willed media. Um..check

Clearly there has been foreign influence on the political landscape that would have never been dreamed of since the red scare. Trump perhaps was an unwitting beneficiary of such. Smoking guns are awfully short in supply. But then maybe he wasn't so unwitting.

Add in administration steps to consolidate media ownership and a likely rollback of net neutrality.  Next to watch would be an attack on encryption and other means of hiding network traffic.

It's not that I think I have a convincing argument that he's the next Hitler. And I already said I think it's an overused political trope. I just don't like how many check boxes he's already checked. It's downright concerning.

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I focus more on how Hitler coalesced power in the early days than what he did with the power once gained. That is where I see the most similarities. There are number of famous bellwethers for such a comparison. See also the not subtle digs at the Reagan administration during the 1980s when many in Hollywood were convinced he was the next fascist. Oh...the good old days. The V minseries. They Live. Subtle they were not.

The first is Trump's ability to antagonize the left until they do something stupid. Yes making the left do something stupid right now isn't that high of a bar. But he is the unquestioned master of it. He is so under their skin that he is practically their puppet master. Yet he is adept enough to make the left think that they are the ones controlling him. But worse are these neo-nazi protests with the clear intention of inciting violence in sensitive areas. If they aren't connected with Trump they aren't really a big deal. It's not as if they wouldn't try it on their own. But if there is a connection they may be trying to recreate effects similar to the Altona Bloody Sunday riots of 1932 of making his opposition seem scarier than him. If I hear one more millennial think they're "helping" by publicly wishing vigilante violence upon these groups... 

Other concerning traits. Attacking the common foes of fascism. Scientists and news media. Granted this is hard because they are the common foe of conservatives in this country regardless but it is another box checked. Seriously. This box has been filled like a mad 5th grader with a pencil fetish as no previous president has ever done. Trying on a daily basis to discredit CNN more than they do themselves is serious stuff. Utterly unprecedented in this country, even if previous Presidents have WANTED to do it on occasion.

He has run on a populist platform not seen in this country since the 1930s. Perhaps with the exception of George Wallace's campaign if you consider that mainstream.   But sufficed to say he has found his scapegoat classes and tapped into the resentment that exists in this country in ways I would have thought impractical in this day and age. And since I don't believe he is at all sincere in these beliefs I worry which playbook he decided to use.

He has an unquestionable ability to dictate message and manipulate the weak willed media. Um..check

Clearly there has been foreign influence on the political landscape that would have never been dreamed of since the red scare. Trump perhaps was an unwitting beneficiary of such. Smoking guns are awfully short in supply. But then maybe he wasn't so unwitting.

Add in administration steps to consolidate media ownership and a likely rollback of net neutrality.  Next to watch would be an attack on encryption and other means of hiding network traffic.

It's not that I think I have a convincing argument that he's the next Hitler. And I already said I think it's an overused political trope. I just don't like how many check boxes he's already checked. It's downright concerning.

Thankfully we have our system set up that we can dump in a couple of years

Thanks for the reply. A lot of what you said is true, however you have to consider why else he does some of the things he does.

The mainstream media is absolutely his biggest foe. They have never been so largely owned by such a small number of big corporations. They used to be a lot more diverse in their reporting. Mainstream news media is largely biased, with most of it being anti-Trump. I don't think any other President has ever had such negative reporting, this is on another level. A lot of reporting is either done with snips of negative pieces or zero context is given. It's no wonder Trump would attack them.

And it's no surprise he would run on a populist platform considering his complete lack of political history yet successful business history. I don't see how that is in any way concerning.

It might be entertaining or interesting watching an egomaniac who's probably borderline (or flat out) psychotic let the power go to his head if we were talking about the guy who runs your local HOA but not when it's the president.  The last few days he's really seemed to go off the rails, even by his standards.  

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Thanks for the reply. A lot of what you said is true, however you have to consider why else he does some of the things he does.

The mainstream media is absolutely his biggest foe. They have never been so largely owned by such a small number of big corporations. They used to be a lot more diverse in their reporting. Mainstream news media is largely biased, with most of it being anti-Trump. I don't think any other President has ever had such negative reporting, this is on another level. A lot of reporting is either done with snips of negative pieces or zero context is given. It's no wonder Trump would attack them.

And it's no surprise he would run on a populist platform considering his complete lack of political history yet successful business history. I don't see how that is in any way concerning.

I think anyone with common sense is anti-Trump.

10 hours ago, Taylor said:

I think anyone with common sense is anti-Trump.

Does that mean you just don't like the man or will simply oppose anything his administration does regardless of what it is? I do not like Trump and wish he was not president but I wouldn't consider myself either anti Trump or pro Trump. As it stands today, he's already proven to me that there is no way that I would even consider voting for him in 2020. I still hope he can do a few good things but I'm not holding my breath

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does that mean you just don't like the man or will simply oppose anything his administration does regardless of what it is? I do not like Trump and wish he was not president but I wouldn't consider myself either anti Trump or pro Trump. As it stands today, he's already proven to me that there is no way that I would even consider voting for him in 2020. I still hope he can do a few good things but I'm not holding my breath

I'm pro-America. 

team-america-world-police-e1418869351340