• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

14 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

This person is obviously pretty ill informed.  It's alarming how many Americans hold just about the same incredibly ignorant views.  It's a lot.  People who genuinely just don't give a shit and also people just don't know anything and think they do. 

At the same time, the guy being clever is also extremely wrong. 

The animosity that is directed at the west is not a reaction to dumb people that don't know shit about the world they live in.  The truth is that a lot of the people in the Islamic world are also very poorly educated and they are often the ones that get caught up in the extremeist shit.  Because they're close minded and dumb and don't know anything other then what the clerics tell them.  It's also not sourced by anger about our culture and liberties.  It would be really great if people could get this idea out of their heads. 

Agreed. They have such very little exposure to the west or to the world (newspapers, internet, fair and balanced news) so they live off of what they're fed. It's similar to the dark ages when the church prohibited ownership of bibles. When Martin Luther found one in his university library, he couldn't stop reading it, and suddenly all of the things the priests had been telling congregants about the Bible and God were revealed to be riddled with error, and the Reformation began. 

Muslims are fed the worst about us, and it fuels the hatred and fear the extremists and uneducated have toward us.

27 minutes ago, Tank said:

Agreed. They have such very little exposure to the west or to the world (newspapers, internet, fair and balanced news) so they live off of what they're fed. It's similar to the dark ages when the church prohibited ownership of bibles. When Martin Luther found one in his university library, he couldn't stop reading it, and suddenly all of the things the priests had been telling congregants about the Bible and God were revealed to be riddled with error, and the Reformation began. 

Muslims are fed the worst about us, and it fuels the hatred and fear the extremists and uneducated have toward us.

Yep, for many of them literally the only literature they are exposed to is the Quran.  Which, much like the Old and new testaments leaves much to interpretation.  It's often a case of the dumb and ignorant instructing others to be dumb and ignorant.  Not exactly a great situation for well rounded people.  

"We have many options for Venezuela. And by the way, I am not going to rule out a military option," Trump said. "We have many options for Venezuela."

"This is our neighbor. You know, we are all over the world and we have troops all over the world in places that are very, very far away. Venezuela is not very far away and the people are suffering, and they are dying. We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/11/politics/trump-xi-north-korea/index.html

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

"We have many options for Venezuela. And by the way, I am not going to rule out a military option," Trump said. "We have many options for Venezuela."

"This is our neighbor. You know, we are all over the world and we have troops all over the world in places that are very, very far away. Venezuela is not very far away and the people are suffering, and they are dying. We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/11/politics/trump-xi-north-korea/index.html

I see nothing has changed although I don't know why I'm shocked. It really is no surprise.

14 minutes ago, failos said:

I don't really think that's true anymore, Tank. Levantine countries are actually obsessed with American culture, we just only hear about the ones who hate it. All the moderate places in the Middle East receive no exposure outside of a political/religious context--so most Americans just assume they're also backwards.

For example, In Jordan, virtually all Christians (and many Muslims) are Westernized and well educated, and English is a mandatory second language. It's a surprisingly moderate place as far as Muslim majority countries go and I wouldn't characterize it as an Islamic country other than the fact that the majority of its people are Muslims.  The government isn't Islamic, and the many Muslims are irreligious or just celebrate holidays. Heck, homosexuality is legal in Jordan (and Israel).  I can assure that the majority of people are more interested in their social life than hating the West. 

Now, Iraq and Syria are different story. They are barely functional as countries thanks to endless war, and I'm sure all of them hate America thanks to the poor decisions Bush and Obama made there. 

I will concede that Islam is the root of all problems in the Middle East. In fact, if it weren't for Islam, the Middle East would be comparable to Southeastern Europe. Virtually every negative aspect of any Muslim majority country can be attributed to Islam.

@UndertheHalo what is your basis for that statement? People in the Levant, have access to any book or website just like you and I. What you're saying may have been true many hundreds of years ago, but today it comes off as nonsensical. 

Obviously the countries you noted are a different story.  Jordan and Israel are stable countries.  Even the West Bank, when compared to say Iraq or Yemen - is fairly stable and it's people well educated by global standards.   Tho there are definitely problems there. 

Largely these places aren't the ones producing the radicals, tho ones have come out of them.  

What I said is true about many places in the Middle East and other parts of the Islamic world however.  Out side of the urban areas, Egypt has a very serious problem with extremeism linked to terrible education standards.  Obviously in Yemen as well as Pakistan and Afghanistan.  These days as you noted you can add Iraq and Syria.  It's a place by place deal. 

Quite a statement you've made about Islam there tho.  I strongly disagree with it. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 8/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, UndertheHalo said:

This person is obviously pretty ill informed.  It's alarming how many Americans hold just about the same incredibly ignorant views.  It's a lot.  People who genuinely just don't give a shit and also people just don't know anything and think they do. 

At the same time, the guy being clever is also extremely wrong. 

The animosity that is directed at the west is not a reaction to dumb people that don't know shit about the world they live in.  The truth is that a lot of the people in the Islamic world are also very poorly educated and they are often the ones that get caught up in the extremeist shit.  Because they're close minded and dumb and don't know anything other then what the clerics tell them.  It's also not sourced by anger about our culture and liberties.  It would be really great if people could get this idea out of their heads. 

Add to that the fact that we've been bombing the shit out of their countries for a few decades now.  That's gonna create some terrorists.

35 minutes ago, LHalo said:

What a shitty thing to say. Someone died at the hands of a psycho behind the wheel. Nobody but a small group of neo-nazis condones this terribleness. 

Today's events are a source of validation for the anti Trump folks. Apparently this is ultimate proof that he's a racist and facist

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

Usually you're one that condemns lumping the whole because of a handful of people.

The alarming thing is that it doesn't really seem to be a handful of people.  Sure the ones in bath robes and hoods and walking around throwing up sieg heils are a small group.  But it really does seem like there's a lot of cross over between people who are populists and those who are kkk or neo nazis. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Today's events are a source of validation for the anti Trump folks. Apparently this is ultimate proof that he's a racist and facist

Don't you think that this group is louder and seemingly larger then it has been in the last 20 or 30 years ? Anecdotally, it seems to me that they are far bolder then I can remember them.  

The Donald and his rhetoric has provided at least subtle validation for a lot of their garbage. I don't understand why you reject that idea.  Trump fear mongered his entire campaign and he hasn't stopped since stepping into the White House. 

What does everyone think of Trumps comments.  I like how he made sure and talked about hatred on all sides.  

I mean,  why can't he just condemn the white suprecist morons that started all this out in Charlotte ? 

The guy won't do it.  He basically was forced to condemn David Duke grudgingly (who btw, was out again taking up Trump today) and today he has to equate the white supremacists with those who angrily oppose them.