• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

11 hours ago, Glen said:

Conservatives who don't think the government can do anything correctly suddenly think the government can build a wall hundreds of miles long (if not thousands) that will actually be effective.  Listen to Kevin.  It will be a massive pork-barrel project that is never adequately finished.

at least, that's your hope.

No.  I don't want a bullet train.  Or a worthless wall.

I want safe roads and bridges.  I want a modern power grid that is safe from cyber attacks.  I want water that doesn't poison citizens. 

And I want to ensure that we're guarding our most precious of resources ... wine country.

14 hours ago, Lawrence said:

The hell does that have to do with anything?

"Keeping non-U.S. citizens out of our country seems ridiculous? "

You said that.^

I think the Statue of Liberty would argue with that.  I'm guessing you wouldn't be here if folks had always had that attitude.

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

"Keeping non-U.S. citizens out of our country seems ridiculous? "

You said that.^

I think the Statue of Liberty would argue with that.  I'm guessing you wouldn't be here if folks had always had that attitude.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on AW.

23 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

LOL, if you can't see the connection you are as dense as they come.  Who do you think came through Ellis Island, U.S. citizens?

Yes the immigrants came through Ellis Island where they were processed. The fear at the time was disease and people were quarantined if they showed signs of sickness. Now the economy and terror are the issues therefore we should still have the immigrants processed. Open borders is a recipe for disaster. 

Edit: 

Besides the statue was built as a symbol of liberty and freedom, not immigration. It had nothing to do with immigration until a songwriter donated "The New Colossus" to raise the pedestal construction funds.

I guess if you would have posted a picture of the pedestal on Liberty Island it would have made sense. 

8 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Yes the immigrants came through Ellis Island where they were processed. The fear at the time was disease and people were quarantined if they showed signs of sickness. Now the economy and terror are the issues therefore we should still have the immigrants processed. Open borders is a recipe for disaster. 

And what signs of terror sickness would you use to quarantine them?

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And what signs of terror sickness would you use to quarantine them?

Their country of origin for one, but that's not my main concern. Illegal immigration has decimated wages and taken jobs from legal citizens. Once the spigot is turned off, labor will become more scarce and wages will rise. 

This country was built on the backs of people entering this country as non-citizens.  You didn't say illegal, you just said non-citizens.

While I completely agree that the influx of cheap labor has kept wages down and I am for tightening the border my larger concern is streamlining the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.  That way we can reap the full benefits of their tax dollars.

and a wall is ridiculous no matter how you spin it.  Tighten the border, use modern technology, bring home some military that serve in foreign nations and let them be part of it.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Their country of origin for one, but that's not my main concern. Illegal immigration has decimated wages and taken jobs from legal citizens. Once the spigot is turned off, labor will become more scarce and wages will rise. 

So let me see if I have this right: increasing the minimum wage is bad because the workers are unskilled and the business owners will either cut hours, pass the extra cost onto customers, or replace the workers with technology. However, if we get rid of illegal immigrants that do shitty low-wage jobs most Americans don't want, many of them under the table and cheaper than Americans will do the same work for, that's better for the economy.

If anyone really does want to stop illegal immigration then why not try a top down approach for a change? Why not go after those who profit most from having a non-citizen class to employ for a fraction of the cost? Why not ask businesses to show you the I-9's before you buy their products or services?

10 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If anyone really does want to stop illegal immigration then why not try a top down approach for a change? Why not go after those who profit most from having a non-citizen class to employ for a fraction of the cost? Why not ask businesses to show you the I-9's before you buy their products or services?

Yea, I would have no problem handing out huge fines for companies that don't do their due diligence with hiring.  However that isn't the entire problem.  The illegals will use someone else's identity and get jobs.  I wonder where they cash their checks or how do they get a picture ID to match to cash a check.  We aren't allowed to ask for picture ID in the hiring process, and we do back ground checks on nearly everyone.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I would have no problem handing out huge fines for companies that don't do their due diligence with hiring.  However that isn't the entire problem.  The illegals will use someone else's identity and get jobs.  I wonder where they cash their checks or how do they get a picture ID to match to cash a check.  We aren't allowed to ask for picture ID in the hiring process, and we do back ground checks on nearly everyone.

There's a good place to start. Sounds to me like creating plausible deniability under the guise of protecting the applicants.

16 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

When our border seemingly has more holes than Brandon Wood's swing I'm all for trying to seal it up with a wall. If it helps deter illegal immigration it will eventually pay for itself.

How did you ever support Bernie Sanders if you hold a view like this?

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We are required to ask for either a passport or a combination of a government issued ID and a Social Security card or birth certificate.  

5 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

We are required to ask for either a passport or a combination of a government issued ID and a Social Security card or birth certificate.  

Well if someone brought you a birth certificate and a social security card it's pretty tough to tell whether it's that person or not.  Just make photo ID mandatory in our country.