• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

8 minutes ago, nehushtan said:

By burning the flag, one symbolically rejects this country and everything it stands for. What gives them any right to live under it? The First Amendment protects the freedom of speech, not treasonous acts.

I never suggested they should die. That's exaggeration central. The US should implement a fine like every other modern civilized country (I'm personally fine with someone losing their citizenship).

if I burn the flag of California would I have to move to another state? if not, what's the difference? 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ha. you really don't get this whole "do your own research" thing, do you?

Is it too much reading for you to sort out the countries that ban flag desecration?

And by the way...seeing as the Trumpkins get so easily distracted defending the dear leader at this point alarm bells should be going off...what fucked up thing is the talking yam trying to hide and distract folks from.

Is it the fact that his nominee for HHS has stated he wants to see legislation phasing out Medicare passed by the end of 2017?

5 minutes ago, red321 said:

And by the way...seeing as the Trumpkins get so easily distracted defending the dear leader at this point alarm bells should be going off...what fucked up thing is the talking yam trying to hide and distract folks from.

Is it the fact that his nominee for HHS has stated he wants to see legislation phasing out Medicare passed by the end of 2017?

other than nehushtan, who's defending Trump on this issue? 

The flag is symbolic for a lot of people. Burning the flag doesn't necessarily mean they hate the country they live in.  It might mean they hate the things their country is doing. If I burned an American flag that flew over a ship that was part of the slave trade, I would be disapproving of what my country is doing. If I burned a flag lapel a person of Congress wore because they voted for the Patriot act, that would be me protesting my country for trampling my rights that many have fought for under that same flag. 

People seem more upset about a symbolic piece of cloth being destroyed than an actual document, which protects you, being ripped to shreads constantly.

Seems backwards. 

when bush 41 was POTUS, there seemed to be a rash of flag burnings for various reasons, and the whole question of how people and law enforcement should respond became a national issue. comedian chris rock said that instead of banning flag burning we should simply make all flags out of fireproof materials. he didn't think 'flag warming' as he called it would ever be a big deal.

as others have said, i'm not a fan of people burning the flag, and would probably be a lot more offended by it if i had served in the military, but i understand why people do it. honestly, i'm a lot more insulted by people in our country who walk on the flag or wipe their feet on it.

3 hours ago, red321 said:

What concerns me is how many on the left get distracted by the same shiny lights and ignore these things, such as the Hamilton charade. I guess I'm used to this from the right and why would they care anyways but his trolling act I suppose is just perfectly tailored to trigger the egos of a large number of those on the left. And the "Main stream media" eats it up like me at my next In n Out trip. I mean his ploys so blatant and obvious yet when you point it out to many people they just don't see it.

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

What concerns me is how many on the left get distracted by the same shiny lights and ignore these things, such as the Hamilton charade. I guess I'm used to this from the right and why would they care anyways but his trolling act I suppose is just perfectly tailored to trigger the egos of a large number of those on the left. And the "Main stream media" eats it up like me at my next In n Out trip. I mean his ploys so blatant and obvious yet when you point it out to many people they just don't see it.

I absolutely agree. WP had a recent article talking about it. And I can see the point below. The challenge being, they never pivot and discuss the other issues.

What we're basically talking about here is treating Trump like a social media troll with an egg for an avatar who can be blocked or ignored and hopefully loses the will to keep harassing us.

But this is the president-elect of the United States. The job comes with the so-called bully pulpit, and what he says matters and will be the subject of debate no matter what the mainstream media does. Everything he says reverberates. It doesn't matter if he says it on Twitter or at a news conference; either way it's going to be consumed by tens of millions of people, and the media has an important role to play when it comes to fact-checking and providing context.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/29/why-we-cant-and-shouldnt-ignore-donald-trumps-tweets/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na

24 minutes ago, red321 said:

I absolutely agree. WP had a recent article talking about it. And I can see the point below. The challenge being, they never pivot and discuss the other issues.

It's a fair point. I just don't think they need to focus coverage on social media. Social media will do that anyways by it's um... social nature so it may be redundant. In fact by the time traditional media gets to the story it may be "old" news. And I think at this point there is sufficient history of this behavior to call it out when it occurs if the tweet (or whatever) must be addressed.

Perfect world (Well as perfect as a Trump presidency allows for):
Trump: Tweets something inherently inflammatory, clearly unsubstantiated and otherwise clearly attention-whorey. <yes. That's a word.>
The media: Report what he tweeted, quickly point out the issue with it, and focus the majority of the story to why he would do this and likely what he is trying to hide.

Trump played the media like a fiddle creating so many irresistible stories. This whole meme that he is a moron <cough Alec Baldwin> needs to die. He is either media savvy enough to do this himself or savvy enough to listen to the right people. (Shame really because otherwise those are great qualifications for the POTUS).  But this bug he/his team found in the system needs to be corrected. If the media refuses to do this then the inevitable conclusion is...unpleasant. But chicken and the egg. Will this happen if the average Joe on the left (assuming the right is a lost cause for critiquing Trump) continues down this path?

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

We will see if you're right when he's actually governing Thomas.  I don't see a lot of reason to suspect that he's more complex then the nationalist nativist cartoon he's created for himself.  

Why in the world would he stop the act just because he is in the White House? If anything that is the time to turn it to 11. Though honestly the POTUS is just one person. The most they can really do is put their people in charge and let them do their thing regardless. 

10 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Why in the world would he stop the act just because he is in the White House? If anything that is the time to turn it to 11. Though honestly the POTUS is just one person. The most they can really do is put their people in charge and let them do their thing regardless. 

I have zero expectations that he will change, it's just that it's at the point that we'll be able to judge actual actions.  We shall see.  My point is why not just take him at his word ? He's been singing similar tunes since Obama got elected and he continues to do so.  Why should we give him credit for being some sort of evil manipulative genius? 

And, does anyone else think it's funny that like 3 weeks ago he was praising the flag burners for their "passion" the guy is a fucking crazy person. 

Edited by UndertheHalo