• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Five teams are ahead of us for the 2nd wild card

I am still holding out hope that we'll see three AL West teams in the postseason - if not this year, maybe next.  That is a long term view (or wish) mostly to spite the friends and family who follow Central and East teams with a fervor.  I'd love it ..... if .....

My biggest concern is not being competitive over the next few years - I think we will be - but the performances of "superstars" Pujols and Hamilton and the sheer weight of their massive contracts and how that will impact the team. I'm also concerned with an organizational philosophy that focuses on big contract players in the latter half of their careers and guts the already weak farm system at seemingly every opportunity. I know it isn't so simple as that, but that's the end result.

So yeah, I think the Angels will win 85+ games this year and at least be on the edge of contention if not sneaking into the postseason. But as long as Pujols and Hamilton are performing poorly--and I see little signs of anything other than mild improvement on Hamilton's part, while Pujols has pretty much been consistently league average for the entire year--this team won't have the flexibility and internal core strength to build a truly great team.

Its called "too many eggs in too few baskets."

All that said, it could be that Dipoto's philosophy is to try to field a competitive enough team that, if all goes right, they can make the playoffs once or twice during Hamilton and Wilson's contracts. Meanwhile, rebuild from within, focus on international scouting and the farm and then build towards a powerhouse team in 4-5 years - when Trout is in his prime, Bourjos and Trumbo are hopefully still around and good, etc. But even 4-5 years seems optimistic when there are literally no star caliber players in the farm system. A truly fallow "field" takes quite awhile to bring back to fertility.