• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Trout on playing CF

nate

“When you’re out there playing free and comfortable, I think you play better,” said Trout, who was hitting .252 with two homers and 12 RBIs in 25 games before the switch. “But I don’t know if there’s a difference in how I hit when I’m playing center or left. I think I just got hot when I moved to center.”

But there is also this, from the article Digiovanna tweeted immediately after.

That second part kind of makes a difference.

He has to say the second part to diffuse any notion that he is unhappy. I am sure the players are taught all of this each spring.

Or you know, he could also believe that second part.

Or are we just dismissing anything that goes against our view point as spin now?

I'm more concerned about Trout speaking of his troubles in fielding left field. He sure looks pretty average there, and i do feel it's a waste of talent.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the need to trade Bourjos. Which hurts me, cos I'm a huge fan of Pete.

Or you know, he could also believe that second part.

Or are we just dismissing anything that goes against our view point as spin now?

The greats don't show weakness, or admit to being weaker in one area. Why would he say, "I suck at the plate when I am in LF?" Whether it is true or not, he would never come out and say it.

Well this isn't really a surprise. Trout hit better as a LF last year so I don't see how it's an issue if he's playing there.

If it's still an issue during the offseason, then trade Bourjos away for something useful.

when I first read your post I thought it ended with "then trade Bourjos away for something awful." I think that's the most likely scenario, unfortunately.

This doesn't change anything except to those that want to spin it so that it fits within their argument. The argument remains the same, Trout should play LF as long as Bourjos is part of the lineup.

http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/4093-rosenthal-what-the-halo-leave-trout-in-cf/

Except Trout said he feels better when he plays CF.  He is the best player on the team... shouldn't we listen to him?

Welcome to AngelsWin. I am sure you will like it here.

If we were all drones and agreed with each other I'd shut this website down.

Just like a good sports talk show, two sides of an argument deliver worthy discussions and participation.

Oh and guys. It's probably way overdue for this but stop with the attacks on LT. If he was here trolling he wouldn't be here. Just because he may have a different opinion than yours and he's been in the trenches in past topic arguments here, at least he's posting his take and not just an emoticon or short responses. Please treat him like any other here despite your differences or whether or not you like him.

Thanks.

We are listening to him. That doesn't mean he should play CF over Bourjos. 

And he didn't say he feels better when he plays CF or that it has any impact on his offense - and the stats bear that out. He feels more comfortable there because he's played there much more than other positions in the OF. He's used to picking up the ball there, reading it off the bat, knowing the way balls curve, etc. There's some adjustment that he has to make getting used to the different angle. So of course he isn't quite as comfortable there - that comfort level will increase over time. But his level of comfort is not enough reason to leave him in CF when you have another player who is a better fit for that position. He doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves. He's not a mental midget or fragile. He knows why he's being moved to LF and he understands it.

And he didn't say he feels better when he plays CF or that it has any impact on his offense - and the stats bear that out. He feels more comfortable there because he's played there much more than other positions in the OF. He's used to picking up the ball there, reading it off the bat, knowing the way balls curve, etc. There's some adjustment that he has to make getting used to the different angle. So of course he isn't quite as comfortable there - that comfort level will increase over time. But his level of comfort is not enough reason to leave him in CF when you have another player who is a better fit for that position. He doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves. He's not a mental midget or fragile. He knows why he's being moved to LF and he understands it.

I don't know about you, but when I am comfortable, I feel better.

No

I don't know why this is even a discussion? Trout is far more valuable to this team than Bourjos is. One is looking like a perennial MVP candidate and a future HOF'er while the other looks like a solid MLB player. If the Angels want to keep Trout here long term, consider his input on where he wants to play. DiPoto and Scioscia need to meet with him and ask him if he wants to be in CF or if he's okay in LF and whatever he answers, they'll take it into consideration. Is this a bad precedent to set? Maybe? Is it worth it in regards to a talent like Trout? Yes. 

Hell, CF is a position of luxury for us having Trout and Bourjos. SP is a need, IMO, Bourjos should be used as trade bait for a solid SP prospect. If Trout was Vernon Wells-esque in the OF then Bourjos wouldn't be expendable. 

I don't know why this is even a discussion? Trout is far more valuable to this team than Bourjos is. One is looking like a perennial MVP candidate and a future HOF'er while the other looks like a solid MLB player. If the Angels want to keep Trout here long term, consider his input on where he wants to play. DiPoto and Scioscia need to meet with him and ask him if he wants to be in CF or if he's okay in LF and whatever he answers, they'll take it into consideration. Is this a bad precedent to set? Maybe? Is it worth it in regards to a talent like Trout? Yes. 

Hell, CF is a position of luxury for us having Trout and Bourjos. SP is a need, IMO, Bourjos should be used as trade bait for a solid SP prospect. If Trout was Vernon Wells-esque in the OF then Bourjos wouldn't be expendable. 

Exactly! Imagine the difference if Trout was on the DL for a month instead of Bourjos; their importance in the overall scheme of things would become abundantly clear. Bourjos should play LF when he returns.