• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Dow could be back to 18,000, or lower, before the bleeding stops. If we get a full-on crash and major recession you're looking at Dow 12,000.

Best thing is to buy the dips a bit at a time. Look for solid companies incredibly oversold that pay dividends.

That's only if this virus hangs around for that long 

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I will take all of the criticism you all have to offer, I was wrong. 

Just about everyone was wrong. The president said on February 26th that the cases would quickly go down to "zero". He stopped the China flights but nobody realized the damn thing was already here from Chinese travelers from other countries. He just last night stopped flights from Europe. Behind the curve, and it will cost us dearly as this thing explodes in the next few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Coronavirus Dashboard (updated continuously)

https://ncov2019.live/data

@3.5% of the patients die of this virus. Let's hope we are taking enough steps in public safety to keep that number where it is and the infection rate as low as possible. We have a large elderly population so the 3.5% average may spike in comparison to some other countries. 

9 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Just about everyone was wrong. The president said on February 26th that the cases would quickly go down to "zero". He stopped the China flights but nobody realized the damn thing was already here from Chinese travelers from other countries. He just last night stopped flights from Europe. Behind the curve, and it will cost us dearly as this thing explodes in the next few weeks. 

People who actually understood the how potential pandemics work realized the damn thing was here already...hence the reason they stated stopping flights would have minimal impact. At this point stopping flights from Europe (with the exception of countries that have Trump golf courses) when the virus is moving through the US already is like burning down the barn after the horses have already left.

But you are right, the US is certainly behind the curve right now. 

Just now, Blarg said:

@3.5% of the patients die of this virus. Let's hope we are taking enough steps in public safety to keep that number where it is and the infection rate as low as possible. We have a large elderly population so the 3.5% average may spike in comparison to some other countries. 

One advantage the US has as compared to a country like Italy and China is significantly fewer people smoke, so hopefully that reduces the mortality rate.

One other potential positive is that a number of people may have had, or already had, the virus and not known. Reports were that it was in Washington for 5-6 weeks before anyone realized it. If that is the case, mortality rates could be lower than thought. How accurate that is, I don't know, but one could hope.

1 minute ago, red321 said:

But you are right, the US is certainly behind the curve right now. 

Every country is behind the curve because China suppressed information about the virus from it's own people and the international communities. The time delay from outbreak to the information being available allowed international instead of regional infection. The first infected traveler to enter a transportation hub sent this virus on it's way. 

2 minutes ago, red321 said:

One advantage the US has as compared to a country like Italy and China is significantly fewer people smoke, so hopefully that reduces the mortality rate.

My wife has respiratory problems and allergies and turns 60 in a couple weeks. She is a teacher so she is on the forefront of infectious disease every year. If one case shows up at her school or neighboring, I told her she is done for the year, no excuses, I will call her district office and tell them she is sitting out the rest of the school year. 

5 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Come on, that doesn't make it fun anymore.

It certainly isn't. I have a 86 year old mother and a 58 year old sister with health problems in assisted living, a breeding ground for this to take off like wildfire. I will be visiting them next week. 

5 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Agreed, but in this case I think he was just straight up lying. 

In his shoes you have to say shit to buy time. The optics are he was in denial, the truth is everyone was using that buffer trying to set up plans to keep the country in one piece for the next 6 months to a year and that includes everything down to medical rationing, food rationing and martial law. In the meantime you have to slow the panic. It may cost some lives in the hope to save more. 

This is more than just talking points and partisan politics. Step back from where you are and look at the bigger picture. We are pretty screwed if we can't open borders and get trade flowing again in six months. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

In his shoes you have to say shit to buy time. The optics are he was in denial, the truth is everyone was using that buffer trying to set up plans to keep the country in one piece for the next 6 months to a year and that includes everything down to medical rationing, food rationing and martial law. In the meantime you have to slow the panic. It may cost some lives in the hope to save more. 

This is more than just talking points and partisan politics. Step back from where you are and look at the bigger picture. We are pretty screwed if we can't open borders and get trade flowing again in six months. 

No, he was lying because he was freaking out about the stock market drop. It's about himself, it always is.