• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

2 minutes ago, red321 said:

Compare California's arc to NY, or Italy, or the US at large. Newsom's plan was far from perfect, never said it was. But our results have certainly been better than elsewhere.

I wonder if that has more to do with climate than policy. Hopefully we get more and more data and its accurate.

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

Everything is cool as long as you are saving that few cents on gas.

I'm just a fan of the truth. As much as I'd love to see an effective medical treatment for COVID-19 so that society can go back to normal and everyone can get a paycheck again, I'm not a fan of people lying about the effectiveness of a treatment simply because Trump touted said treatment. That goes both ways. If CNN or WaPo published an article that downplayed the effectiveness of a treatment simply because Trump mentioned it, I wouldn't listen to them, either.

As of the 2010 census 9 of the 10 most densely populated cities in the US are in New York and one of those cities is NYC with a population of over 8M.  San Francisco is ranked 21st on that list and has a population 1/10 of that of NYC.  Between population density and the amount of people who live outside NYC who commute in on public transportation for work I think the situations NY and CA are dealing with are very different.  In our NY office some people live in neighboring states and are taking multiple trains/subways to get to work.  I know some people who live outside of LA but work there take public transportation but I'm guessing a higher percentage drive in each day. 

17 minutes ago, red321 said:

We think the infection rate is at 3%, because we still don't have adequate testing or antibody tests. When those roll out, we will have a better idea. Understanding that data will be a significant help to planning for the future.

And yes, it potentially will come back in the fall, or won't abate over the summer because we don't know how the virus will react to the summer heat. I've yet to see scientific studies confirming one way or the other. Maybe they are out there and I've missed it...or we are just making assumptions it will act similar to the flu virus. Just like we have not seen studies either way on immunity to the virus. If you catch it and recover, are you immune, and if so, for how long. That highlights the importance of ensuring a robust test and contract tracing program is in place. Identifying where outbreaks occur and quarantining those areas quickly so you don't have to lock down the entire state, but can focus on known areas of infection. Exactly what countries like South Korea did.

Yes, we had initial fuckups. BIG GIANT FUCKUPS. You mention South Korea...South Korea and the US discovered the virus on the same day. Compare where the countries are now. Compare the US to Australia or Germany. The US should have been prepared for this, and wasn't. Multiple simulations over the past few years predicted exactly what happened. Testing snafus, lack of resources. Plans were made based on those simulations, and were ignored or thrown out. The president and executive branch was given multiple warnings in January and February, and nothing was done. The list is long and illustrious. But go ahead and pretend...who coulda known.

Compare California's arc to NY, or Italy, or the US at large. Newsom's plan was far from perfect, never said it was. But our results have certainly been better than elsewhere.

The 3% is actually confirmed by two tests.  One by Stanford, and the second by the LA Department of Health/USC.  So it's going to be pretty close to that amount.  That's a far ways from 60% you need for herd immunity.  

The summer heat has been written up and was linked somewhere earlier in this thread.  It showed that hotter temperature and humidity practically prevented the spread of the Rona in a scientific paper.  

As for contact tracing.  That's going to be a hard one to accomplish in the US.  If you thought the Patriot Act was bad, well, this will be 1000x worse.  South Korea first started it's contact tracing by monitoring credit cards, phones, and cctv.  They were also taken to government shelters, not hospitals (which is similar to what China did)

Also, while South Korea did get it under control.  There are some big differences between them and us.  First, they have a population of 51 million vs 330 million in the US. Second, South Korea is 38,000 square miles which is about the size of Virginia or Kentucky.  

Testing in South Korea is actually a misconception that I found out in later articles.  In the US, the Rona tests were available in early February.  Here is a writeup of the US response.  And the initial testing kit error was bad, but the kits were in place by end of February.  https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R46219  Overall, while I did initially bag on the CDC and FDA. Behind the scenes, they seem to have done well, and not a late response like the media reports.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I wonder if that has more to do with climate than policy. Hopefully we get more and more data and its accurate.

Might have more to do with strains.  There was a report I linked somewhere earlier, that said that the Rona had already mutated into hundreds of strains.  But there were two main strains.  The Asian Strain (China) and the European Strain (Italy).  The Asian Strain is seen all over the west coast and midwest.  The European Strain though is big in NY and the East Coast.  You could guess which strain has been seen as more deadly.  

34 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Read something today that the dude who died in AZ, the wife murdered him with hydroychloquin or whatever it is, and used Trump as her alibi. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/woman-who-blamed-trump-after-giving-her-husband-fish-tank-cleaner-now-under-investigation-for-murder/

Not sure who the national review is.  But there you go.

State records zero new coronavirus cases for 1st time in nearly 7 weeks

The coronavirus tally in the Green Mountain State remained the same Wednesday as Vermont health officials said there were zero new COVID-19 cases from the day before.

It was the first day without a newly reported case since March 13.

The Vermont Department of Health website also showed that there were no deaths.

Gov. Phil Scott said it was “great news” but cautioned that “one day doesn’t create a trend, and we have to look at the trend lines to see where we’re going.”

The Green Mountain State has seen a decline in new cases each day for the last several weeks – a trend also seen in the death toll. Tuesday and Sunday saw no deaths and only one on Monday.

As of Wednesday morning, Vermont has seen 862 cases and 47 deaths with 15,429 people tested for COVID-19. The health department website showed that 11 people are currently hospitalized for the virus and 15 are hospitalized under investigation. Eighteen are being monitored.

The state has the third-lowest number of positive cases in the contiguous United States and fifth overall.

Currently, in Vermont, people can shop at outdoor retailers, and five people can work at the same outdoor worksite. Manufacturing and indoor construction also can expand.

7 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Ok, never mind.  

Police say death of Arizona man is not being investigated as a homicide

Last time I listen to Cals.  

Utah aims to give coronavirus mask to every resident in state

Utah will enter into a public-private partnership to provide a free mask for every resident in the state who doesn't have one, Gov. Gary Herbert’s office said Wednesday.

The program, titled "A Mask for Every Utahn," is an arrangement between the state and the Utah Manufacturers Association and Cotopaxi, from which it purchased 2 million face masks. The purchases will allow more than 200 state residents to continue to be employed by keeping manufacturing facilities open.

The Utah Manufacturers Association said will produce 1.5 million of the masks, while Cotopaxi will make the remaining 500,000.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-gives-coronavirus-mask-everyone-state

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

I'm just a fan of the truth. As much as I'd love to see an effective medical treatment for COVID-19 so that society can go back to normal and everyone can get a paycheck again, I'm not a fan of people lying about the effectiveness of a treatment simply because Trump touted said treatment. That goes both ways. If CNN or WaPo published an article that downplayed the effectiveness of a treatment simply because Trump mentioned it, I wouldn't listen to them, either.

In politics truth is relative so being a fan of it doesn't accomplish much