• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

13 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats the problem, "they sound nutty". (Not knocking you saying it, I mean the majority of people).

We humans are an invasive species.... its us who have destroyed the globe. Weve destroyed ecosystems and collapsed food chains...this upsets balance. No different than how a bad alternator and dirty fuel line car wreck a car engine. 

IE, these are things nature was designed and molded/evolved into for 100s of centuries before we got here. And it worked so well, animals (including us) were able to happen, and allowed us to evolve as we have.

Well, our effect on the globe is much like HIV.... weve attacked the earths ability to fight off infections (climate change). Now the earths systems are failing... and we, the parasite, are losing our host because weve overpopulated, and made it too unhealthy to adapt to what we're doing to it. 

Of note in that article was that in 2007, a study pointed out the coronavirus in bat populations in relation to wet markets in southern china was a disaster waiting to happen...

Makes me think of a Joe Rogan stand up years ago where he said something to the effect that if another life form were to look down at the earth humanity looks like a virus - over population, spread all over the globe and just destroying the planet.  He's not wrong.  No matter what we do if the population continues to grow the earth won't sustain it at a point and that's something very few if any of the people who are talking about climate change point out.  I realize they can't say let's off a bunch of people but no amount of going green will offset the expected ~10B people on the planet by 2050.

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Makes me think of a Joe Rogan stand up years ago where he said something to the effect that if another life form were to look down at the earth humanity looks like a virus - over population, spread all over the globe and just destroying the planet.  He's not wrong.  No matter what we do if the population continues to grow the earth won't sustain it at a point and that's something very few if any of the people who are talking about climate change point out. 

Maybe we’re the virus?

3f84da4a7b706fe8eb36c41ebb34da14.jpg

1 minute ago, Lhalo said:

Maybe we’re the virus?

3f84da4a7b706fe8eb36c41ebb34da14.jpg

I met with a new doctor about a month ago and as it was my first time we were talking about various things where he gets a feel for you to make sure your appear to be healthy mentally.  Anyways he asked if I had kids and I said not yet.  He asked whether I thought having kids made people happier and he said studies show they don't.  Anyways we kind of continued down that path and got onto over population, the state of things, etc. and he actually referenced the line from the Matrix about how humans are more or less a virus destroying the planet.  

1 hour ago, Jason said:

$2 Trillion is a drop in the bucket? Does he realize this isn’t only about his state?

I have to wonder how many of these guys are going crazy in interviews, for covid relief... when they have a secondary objective.. to get air time, and get funds... that will end up being used for something else...

I really hope that isnt the case.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

$2 Trillion is a drop in the bucket? Does he realize this isn’t only about his state?

It's more like $6 Trillion when you add the Fed's mandate to prop up whatever industries and companies they choose. That's a part of this 'rescue'. 

If this is a drop in the bucket I'd hate to see the bucket. Are we talking a Quadrillion dollars, and a loaf of bread costing a grand? I'm going to invest in wheelbarrow companies since that's what we'll need to carry our cash to the market. Or a large truck.

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I have to wonder how many of these guys are going crazy in interviews, for covid relief... when they have a secondary objective.. to get air time, and get funds... that will end up being used for something else...

...to run for president. You know it's coming. Cuomo 2024, or maybe even now if Biden's dementia accelerates.

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

...to run for president. You know it's coming. Cuomo 2024, or maybe even now if Biden's dementia accelerates.

Cuomo's time has passed and he would never get out of a Democratic primary.

That said, he has been on the front lines of this epidemic and by most accounts has done a solid job.

49 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It's more like $6 Trillion when you add the Fed's mandate to prop up whatever industries and companies they choose. That's a part of this 'rescue'. 

If this is a drop in the bucket I'd hate to see the bucket. Are we talking a Quadrillion dollars, and a loaf of bread costing a grand? I'm going to invest in wheelbarrow companies since that's what we'll need to carry our cash to the market. Or a large truck.

Pfft  It's not that hard to carry a trillion dollar coin.

Interesting statistic.

https://www.global-sepsis-alliance.org/news/2020/3/4/can-covid-19-cause-sepsis-explaining-the-relationship-between-the-coronavirus-disease-and-sepsis-cvd-novel-coronavirus

In comparison, the influenza virus has been responsible for at least 16,000 deaths in the United States alone so far in the 2019-2020 influenza season, with an in-hospital death rate near 5% – higher than the 4% in-hospital death rate seen with COVID-19 in China.

53 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Most of them have ulterior motives. 

They are after all politicians so it's in their blood. 

How about Nancy? Time to help the American people, right? And she tried to put in a bunch of extra unnecessary spending. Like $35 million for Kennedy center maintenance. What does that have to do with situation we are in?

19 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Most of them have ulterior motives. 

They are after all politicians so it's in their blood. 

How about Nancy? Time to help the American people, right? And she tried to put in a bunch of extra unnecessary spending. Like $35 million for Kennedy center maintenance. What does that have to do with situation we are in?

We need to pass the bill so we can find out what is in it. 

1 min ago

Coronavirus cases in California climb to more than 2,500

From CNN's Cheri Mossburg

The number of cases in California is climbing steadily and now stands at 2,535, with 53 deaths, according to Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Of these positive cases, over half those infected are between the ages of 18 and 49 and 37 are under the age of 18.

The governor is urging people to abide by stay-at-home orders, imploring the public that “half way is no way.”

“We can defeat this virus, but we can’t defeat it unless we commit to fulfilling our individual obligations and our collective responsibilities to meet this moment. The stay home order is real,” Newsom said. “Don’t think for a second that we’re a day or two away from lifting that order, we’re not even a week or two away.”

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Makes me think of a Joe Rogan stand up years ago where he said something to the effect that if another life form were to look down at the earth humanity looks like a virus - over population, spread all over the globe and just destroying the planet.  He's not wrong.  No matter what we do if the population continues to grow the earth won't sustain it at a point and that's something very few if any of the people who are talking about climate change point out.  I realize they can't say let's off a bunch of people but no amount of going green will offset the expected ~10B people on the planet by 2050.

Cancer is the last insurance, unfortunately. Cancer is the one thing we cant figure out.

Every other thing out there, weve dealt with one way or another. No animals use us a food source. Weve learned to kill bacteria with soap and cooking (except the chinese), in the developed world we more of less have eradicated vectors like flees, mosquitos (or at least really pushed them back). And we have eradicated most diseases that killed humans throughout history, by vaccines.

The last animal that preys on us, is us.

By eliminating most of what kills us, our population has gone unchecked, and weve collapsed our ecosystem.

Like that article mentioned, things like this are nature pushing back, trying to keep balance.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Once again, I am totally blown away with the ability of people on this stats heavy baseball board to not correctly interpret stats in context nor in light of other stats.

Here's a solid takeaway from that article. When it was published 21 days ago, the article states:

"However, despite the attention being paid to COVID-19, it is important to realize that it is by no means the deadliest infection globally in 2020. It is not even the deadliest virus. Fewer than 3,200 deaths have been attributed in total to COVID-19."

Since then, in 3 weeks, the virus has multiplied the number of dead by 6.5, now near 21,000. This is with all the measures that have been put in place, including the almost complete paralysis of China.

Also, when looking at the in-hospital death rate, you have to consider what percentage of influenza patients require hospitalization (1.4% estimated in 2018-19). Even if you cut the estimated hospitalization rate for COVID-19 in half, it's still at 10%.

These aren't trivial differences.