• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

2 hours ago, well_red said:

I thought it was suspected early on that Pangolin or "Scaly Anteater" was the probably source at the Wuhan market.  Evidently its meat is considered a delicacy, its scales have therapeutic properties, and it is the most heavily trafficked mammal in the world!  Can't believe this thing exists. 

images.jpeg

Plus they are an endangered species.  

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

Sounds like they eat anything. Literally. 

Yes.  

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

2 min ago

54% of US population will be ordered to stay at home by midweek

From CNN's Devon M. Sayers

At least 13 states and 16 municipalities have ordered 148,577,262 people or 45% of the US population to stay home as a result of the pandemic, according to data compiled by CNN using US Census population estimates. 

At least five additional states and nine municipalities will have orders going into effect later this week. 

When all orders take effect 176,385,537 people will be affected by the order, or 54% of the US population. 

The US Census Bureau estimates the population at 328,239,523.

26 minutes ago, red321 said:

I think the general idea is as follows

1) you hopefully find a drug that combats the disease, so that when people do catch it, it can be treated

2) you try and flatten the curve, basically trying to spread out the period of time so you aren't inundating the health system with sick people at once. Let's say 1,000,000 people catch it. Rather than have that over a short period of time, you spread that out over a longer period of time so the health system can treat those people

3) people who have caught this, and recovered, are immune...though they don't know all the details, if there is a limit of time (are they immune forever, a few years?)...this starts to build out herd immunity

4) after the initial wave, yes, you will start to have pockets of outbreaks...but with effective testing and tracking you can then go in an isolate those pockets and treat them. So you may have localized closures for hopefully short durations of time

5) At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later - they are suggesting a year, you end up with a vaccine and hopefully anti-vaxxers shut the hell up

Broad generalizations here, but a general synopsis of what I've seen

1.  Won't be till end of the year, maybe next year based on when the H1N1 vaccine was made.

2.  That's a legit argument.  Problem is, those without this virus are being shut out of the system.  Just my opinion, but we are going about this backwards.  We are relying on local healthcare to handle this.  This virus should be handled by the military. I know, evil word.  But we should be treating these people on military bases, ie away from non infected people in an environment with a lot of low risk people in a place where a lot of temporary shelters could be put up.

3.  There are reports that those that have caught it and got cured, have caught it again.

4.  Testing will be key.  I just don't get what red tape is taking so long.  I hear LA or CA is contracting with one of the South Korean companies for like 100,000 of their test kits.  This should have been done a while ago, but I guess the FDA would have issues with it.  This is something that will have to be looked at very closely in the future.

5.  Lol.  I can't wait for the anti-vaxxer fun.  And while you immunize them for this virus, get them innoculated for everything else.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

This new coronavirus may turn out to be a yearly visitor, but much less deadly going forward as it evolves. At least that's the current thinking from the scientists.

What is much more terrifying is if another new virus comes along someday that mutates wildly and tends towards more deadly variants. Then we're screwed.

There's no guarantee our species will be here in a hundred years or a thousand. And it may not be global climate change that will render us extinct, but an invisible, half-alive germ.

The last part.

Globalization is one of the key reasons for global warming. And the boogieman virus' weve brought out of nature and into our lives are tied into it as well (the current virus, avian flu, HIV, etc).

I hope this will be one of the lessons learned going forward.

Per your first point, yes, this thing is out of the bottle now. Dont see how we could ever get rid of it now, though a vaccine will eventually be developed.

2 hours ago, well_red said:

I thought it was suspected early on that Pangolin or "Scaly Anteater" was the probably source at the Wuhan market.  Evidently its meat is considered a delicacy, its scales have therapeutic properties, and it is the most heavily trafficked mammal in the world!  Can't believe this thing exists. 

images.jpeg

They still dont know exactly what animal it originated from. It matches 99 percent with bats (i believe). That said, what it likely is is sort of a hyrbid between the two animals. Their two diseases merged and created this frankenstein. Of they hadnt crossed, it may never have existed.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Dear God people are dumbshits. But yeah, let's blame the POTUS for their dumbasserry. 

They are, hell, look who is president...that was one of concerns with the President going on the tv and telling people chloroquine was curing people and the FDA had approved it. The generic name for Chloroquine is....Chloroquine Phosphate. 

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

They still dont know exactly what animal it originated from. It matches 99 percent with bats (i believe). That said, what it likely is is sort of a hyrbid between the two animals. Their two diseases merged and created this frankenstein. Of they hadnt crossed, it may never have existed.

Funny that in the movie Contagion, it's revealed that the virus started when a bat pooped in a pig's food.

Just now, red321 said:

They are, hell, look who was president...that was one of concerns with the President going on the tv and telling people chloroquine was curing people and the FDA had approved it. The generic name for Chloroquine is....Chloroquine Phosphate. 

Remember, what Trump says doesn't matter, just his policies. So if people act based on what he says, it's their fault, not his.

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

For the social distancing thing to be worth it won't it have to be in place until there is an effective vaccine/cure? The virus is always going to be out there. If after 2 months we all go back to normal all it takes is one person to catch the virus and we're back to hiding in our homes and closing down the economy. What is the long-term goal of all of this? What's the plan next month or the month after or the month after?

I think it would help if the big picture plan was made known. Like "were gonna lock you down, test you all, then isolate and release you."

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So if someone didn't get the Pangolin appetizer to go along with their bat entree we'd all be getting ready for the start of baseball season and have about 30% more in our retirement plans.  Thanks assholes.   

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

So if someone didn't get the Pangolin appetizer to go along with their bat entree we'd all be getting ready for the start of baseball season and have about 30% more in our retirement plans.  Thanks assholes.   

Or if they just ordered the chicken instead 

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

These wet markets have all sorts of animal species pissing and shitting on each other. Most viruses can only pass between a handful of species, and each time a virus jumps to a new type of host it mutates. It's quite likely that this virus originated in one animal that we could never have contracted it from, and then jumped to another animal where it mutated just enough to allow it to pass to humans. 

I may be remembering this wrong, but bird flu was dangerous to people handling infected chickens, but it was ultimately not that dangerous because it couldn't survive in the human respiratory system, which is the main way human to human infection happens. The fear with it was that by transferring to humans, given enough time, it would mutate in such a way that would allow it to survive in a human respiratory system. 

46 minutes ago, red321 said:

They are, hell, look who is president...that was one of concerns with the President going on the tv and telling people chloroquine was curing people and the FDA had approved it. The generic name for Chloroquine is....Chloroquine Phosphate. 

Oh ffs, stupid people being stupid has nothing to do with Trump.  

1 hour ago, Fireball said:

Still just trying to get by with regular masks.  They don't know is the prob.  She says the hospital just says the CDC says we don't need them.  Somebody just "says" down the line is the problem.  I have a brand new auto painters respirator in the garage with filters I am ready to take her, it beats a dust mask. Thanks for asking. 

damn. i have been in meetings and the cdc has been inconsistent with several things. we dont get fauci briefs but not low level workers by any means. well we pray for her and all the medical workers. most of americans are scare shitless but the medical field is on front lines everyday all day.