• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amazing Larry

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

China lashes out at US, claims country is 'lying through their teeth' on coronavirus; threatens Australia

China's foreign ministry on Tuesday accused the United States of "lying through their teeth" and suggested the country mind its own business as the war of words between the world's two biggest economic powers escalated.

"We advise American politicians to reflect on their own problems and try their best to control the [coronavirus] epidemic as soon as possible instead of continuing to play tricks to deflect blame," spokesman Geng Shuang said.

The comments came on the heels of President Trump suggesting in a press conference on Monday that the U.S. would be seeking "substantial" compensation for China's handling of the global pandemic.

"We are not happy with China," Trump said. "We are not happy with that whole situation because we believe it could have been stopped at the source. It could have been stopped quickly and it wouldn't have spread all over the world."

He added that the United States is considering several options to "hold them accountable."

When asked about a recent editorial in the German newspaper Bild that printed a mockup of a $162 billion bill to China for economic damages, Trump replied, "Germany's looking at things, and we're looking at things, and we're talking about a lot more money than Germany's talking about."

Trump, who has been criticized for downplaying the virus despite early warnings, has largely led the charge against China.

Edited by Redondo

Illegal drug trade struggles amid coronavirus, giving law enforcement the upper hand

Mexican cartels have been struggling to deliver drugs like methamphetamine, fentanyl, and other synthetic opioids because the precursors used to cook them came from China.

“Since coronavirus hit, and of course, Wuhan is the epicenter, they have had a total lockdown in the city and it’s been a lot harder to get these chemicals out of Wuhan. And, as a result, the Mexican cartels haven’t been able to get the supply that they would like to have,” Ben Westhoff, the author of the book “Fentanyl, Inc,” told Fox News.

In the border state of New Mexico, drug enforcement agents with the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) program said the shortage has forced cartels to raise their drug prices. They said their biggest threat was methamphetamine but they’ve seen a big rise in fentanyl and other synthetic opioids.

11 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I looked at the report. Chicago is experiencing a massive outflow of renters (to be expected).

Chicago shows no signs of reversing population loss

While the high share of renters looking to leave Orlando is offset by a high share cycling in from elsewhere, the Chicago metro is an area where the net number of renters really does appear to be declining. Despite its status as the nation’s third-largest city, the Chicago area has been losing population for a number of years, and based on our data, this trend is not likely to change in the near term. Just 15.4 percent of users searching for an apartment in the Chicago area are looking from outside the metro, the lowest rate among the 50 largest metros. 

Meanwhile, 34.9 percent of those currently living in Chicago are searching elsewhere, the 20th highest rate among the 50 largest metros. Those looking to leave Chicago seem to favor smaller Midwestern cities — Indianapolis, Kansas City and Milwaukee are the top destinations.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/apartment-list-renter-migration-report-2020-q2/

39 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I think it’s been established that older, white, JC educated folks haven’t been making the best decisions regarding the virus.  That’s essentially what this is.  

Half of them were probably holding liberty or death signs in front of Baskin Robbins last weekend, enjoying their triple scoop.

Meh. This virus is dangerous but personal freedoms are more important. If people are scared they can stay in their homes/garages. My parents choose to quarantine because they have pre-existing conditions and are at high risk. They make a conscious decision to mitigate infection. I take precautions but I’m going to teach my son how to ride a bike this weekend and I also plan on taking my family for a hike. The risk of contracting the virus from those activities is extremely low and Gavin can’t stop me from doing that. I have the right to exit my house and enjoy the surrounding land. If you want to deny me that right I promise I have an answer for that. 

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

I think it’s been established that older, white, JC educated folks haven’t been making the best decisions regarding the virus.  That’s essentially what this is.  

Half of them were probably holding liberty or death signs in front of Baskin Robbins last weekend, enjoying their triple scoop.

Now I did this every weekend in Korea. Koreans will share a sample size cup between 3 people. Their lack of English resulted in me eating over a gallon of ice cream on multiple occasions. The looks I got. I am not sure if they were amazed I could eat it all or pissed I was showing off my wealth.

9 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients

https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

This result based on a sample size of 2200?  Without control groups?  In variable settings, with different hospital treatments and regulations?  All without proper science protocols, and in a anecdotal report without peer review. 

This kinda reads like the opposite of science and evidence-based research.

1 hour ago, halomatt said:

This result based on a sample size of 2200?  Without control groups?  In variable settings, with different hospital treatments and regulations?  All without proper science protocols, and in a anecdotal report without peer review. 

This kinda reads like the opposite of science and evidence-based research.

All of this is true but we do not have time for it in this case. We need something now 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

All of this is true but we do not have time for it in this case. We need something now 

If it is proven to help, sure.  But really proven. That sample size is too damn small.  I did read somewhere (no link, sorry) that it was shown to reduce effects in some of the milder cases.  However, it's really unknown how sure medical science can be. 

Just now, halomatt said:

If it is proven to help, sure.  But really proven. That sample size is too damn small.  I did read somewhere (no link, sorry) that it was shown to reduce effects in some of the milder cases.  However, it's really unknown how sure medical science can be. 

Obvious that studies should continue but I’d hate to see medical professionals dismiss any treatments because they haven’t gone through the standard protocols. The good thing about these drugs is that they are old and have been studied, just not in relation to COVID-19

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

It will be interesting to see how many businesses reopen and how many people are comfortable visiting them.

i feel like it will start slow and then rapidly increase.

fuck man I just want the OTB to open