• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Maddon on Ohtani

Dtwncbad

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t think anybody would disagree that it is different.  But it being “different” would still not keep me from playing Ohtani the day before he pitches.
I am pretty sure the Angels could have somebody on the mound the next night Jeff.  There is literally no chance that next game comes and the Angel have nobody to pitch.

I think this is one of those things somebody cites as “more difficult to solve in 24 hours” and everybody nods in agreement.

What do the Angels do when a starting pitcher pulls a muscle facing the first batter in the first inning?  Forfeit?  Or do they put somebody else on the mound and deal with it?

Bottom line is I am not buying this is a reason to keep an elite offensive player out of the lineup.

I think the main reason he doesn’t play is just the fatigue factor. They don’t want to overwork him, so that’s why he gets the day off before and after he starts. 

I am just saying that if they do loosen that eventually, I think it’s more likely they let him play the day after than the day before, because of the injury logistics. 

But you’re right. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if they had to just do a bullpen game or something. 

By the way, I mentioned this before, but I just found my Gerrit Cole interview about Ohtani from August. He said all starting pitchers need the day off after they start and one other day off before the next start.

”Just to manage the physical demands that our job puts on us, and that’s without hitting.”

That’s why he thinks Ohtani is such a freak. 

I’m not saying it’s impossible for Ohtani to do more. I’m just saying it’s someplace they need to go very cautiously and gradually, which is what they’re going to do. 

28 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I’m cool with whatever the team decides, I just find it hilarious how fans who haven’t a clue what it takes to be a pro athlete complain about the team not playing him more. 

Yep, it is typical fan nonsense.  It’s not appreciating what they have, they always want more.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep, it is typical fan nonsense.  It’s not appreciating what they have, they always want more.  

I mean, I get it: I'd love to see him throw 30+ starts a year and DH/play OF/1B the other 5-6 days. It just isn't particularly reasonable from everything I've read by people who actually are involved in the game.

sometime in the 70s steve garvey did an interview where he confessed that he wouldn't have sex the night before a game as it could tire him out for the next day. i appreciate that approach far more now as an adult than i did as a kid.

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

sometime in the 70s steve garvey did an interview where he confessed that he wouldn't have sex the night before a game as it could tire him out for the next day. i appreciate that approach far more now as an adult than i did as a kid.

Ah, so that's why I'm tired all the time.

Just now, RBM said:

First base? Really?

I haven't seen anyone say he should be getting starts at 1B or even OF for that matter.

Does it matter, the point is people for some reason think he is capable of more even though he is already doing basically twice what everyone else is doing.  

1 minute ago, RBM said:

Does accuracy matter In a critical argument? Yes, it does. And 100 games at DH vs. OF or 1B is different. Especially when he doesn’t even play 1B. 

It’s wrong to think he should play every game when he’s not pitching. Like I said, not even Babe Ruth did that. No one has ever started 20 games and had 400 PA’s in a season. He will probably do that this year. Amazing. 

He is more talking about overzealous fans.  If you want to pinpoint his 1st base comment, go for it.  

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Does accuracy matter In a critical argument? Yes, it does. And 100 games at DH vs. OF or 1B is different. Especially when he doesn’t even play 1B. 

It’s wrong to think he should play every game when he’s not pitching. Like I said, not even Babe Ruth did that. No one has ever started 20 games and had 400 PA’s in a season. He will probably do that this year. Amazing. 

I'm not sure who you're even arguing with right now. Both Stradling and Pancake agree with you.

55 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I mean, I get it: I'd love to see him throw 30+ starts a year and DH/play OF/1B the other 5-6 days. It just isn't particularly reasonable from everything I've read by people who actually are involved in the game.

It's also not something I've seen anyone claim is reasonable. Not even close.

Opening day cant come soon enough 

Ohtani is obviously a unique case, no one has ever done this before and there are good reasons for that, so I think it's important to question whether or not the team is getting the most out of him.

As a top of the rotation starter he is potentially one of the most valuable players in the league. As a designated hitter his value is somewhat pedestrian, even if he is a better hitter than any of us expected. The team should not allow his hitting to interfere with his performance on the mound, especially given this team's current situation. 

This season he should have ample opportunity to get at bats at DH, simply because he is going to be on an innings limit (and Pujols sucks). Moving forward it is probably reckless to let him hit beyond any amount that impacts his ability to take the ball every 5th day while logging 200 innings. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ohtani is obviously a unique case, no one has ever done this before and there are good reasons for that, so I think it's important to question whether or not the team is getting the most out of him.

As a top of the rotation starter he is potentially one of the most valuable players in the league. As a designated hitter his value is somewhat pedestrian, even if he is a better hitter than any of us expected. The team should not allow his hitting to interfere with his performance on the mound, especially given this team's current situation. 

This season he should have ample opportunity to get at bats at DH, simply because he is going to be on an innings limit (and Pujols sucks). Moving forward it is probably reckless to let him hit beyond any amount that impacts his ability to take the ball every 5th day while logging 200 innings. 

In before all the jaw-dropping freakouts blow a gasket that you suggest he pitch every 5th day.

9 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I wasn’t saying anybody did. I was commenting that that’s my ideal. It just isn’t realistic. AFAIK, no one has suggested that.

I think long term, if they are serious about keeping his bat in the lineup he'll probably have to be able to manage some defense somewhere. In 2021 he's likely to be competing for at bats with Upton, which makes the marginal value of those at bats minimal.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

In before all the jaw-dropping freakouts blow a gasket that you suggest he pitch every 5th day.

I'm not suggesting he attempt that this year, but long term they are probably much better off trying to get him on the bump every 5th day than finding cutesy ways to get his bat in the lineup more often.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm not suggesting he attempt that this year, but long term they are probably much better off trying to get him on the bump every 5th day than finding cutesy ways to get his bat in the lineup more often.

Be careful buddy.  You are painting yourself as very selfish, complaining about what you expect rather than just being happy which what he has done.  Shame on you.