• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official September Call-ups Thread

totdprods

There's literally no reason to get rid of Cozart before the end of Spring Training, unless someone is dying to trade for him and at least some of his salary. Plus, he's an insurance policy in case one of Simmons, La Stella, Fletcher, or Rengifo go down. But if those four are healthy, there's no place for him on the major league roster and no reason to block any of those four who are all better players at this point.

That said, if no one wants him and he shows some signs of life, maybe he'll accept a minor league assignment and play in Salt Lake as insurance? Unless he wants to retire, it will allow him to get reps and stay warm in case of an injury or the Angels find a trade partner.

We'll know more in March, but we won't know until then.

20 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

There's literally no reason to get rid of Cozart before the end of Spring Training, unless someone is dying to trade for him and at least some of his salary. Plus, he's an insurance policy in case one of Simmons, La Stella, Fletcher, or Rengifo go down. But if those four are healthy, there's no place for him on the major league roster and no reason to block any of those four who are all better players at this point.

That said, if no one wants him and he shows some signs of life, maybe he'll accept a minor league assignment and play in Salt Lake as insurance? Unless he wants to retire, it will allow him to get reps and stay warm in case of an injury or the Angels find a trade partner.

We'll know more in March, but we won't know until then.

I think Rengifo, La Stella and Fletcher are all better options than Cozart.  Cozart is no longer needed. He should get a spring training from the Angels but that should be the last thing.

First round...Mejia is surprisingly among them, he'll take the currently open 40-man spot. Bour (mentioned in a follow-up tweet) is a bit of a surprise too, seemed a DFA candidate to me. 

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, Baghdad Strad said:

I am thinking we will see him pinch hit late in the game for a guy like Stassi, basically a better version of Thaiss.  

Right.  I should clarify: I understand that he could certainly be used for that purpose--but I don't get what the Angels hope to gain by doing that.  You kind of know who Bour is at this point.  Might as well give some ABs to someone who there's still a question about.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Right.  I should clarify: I understand that he could certainly be used for that purpose--but I don't get what the Angels hope to gain by doing that.  You kind of know who Bour is at this point.  Might as well give some ABs to someone who there's still a question about.

Bour can be offered arb for next year so it's not set in stone that he won't be with the team in 2020.  He will be out of options though.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Bour can be offered arb for next year so it's not set in stone that he won't be with the team in 2020.  He will be out of options though.  

Yeah, just seems like he's an easy cut to save a couple mil, with Thaiss, Ward, La Stella, Walsh, and Rojas all capable of backing up Albert at 1B, and with much more long-term value to the club. 

I felt he'd be a DFA candidate like many comparable vets that have been cut recently, but that the Angels waited since his wife was due. Guess it might still happen.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

The SLC bees have a couple more games.  Rojas might be staying to finish those out and get the call after that.  

Yeah I figure we might see more - these guys were just convenient as they were on then 40-man. A couple more days could clear up a couple more spots.

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Right, I understand that, too.  But I see absolutely zero reason they would offer him arbitration.  He's making $2.5M this year and even with the disastrous year he's had this year, he'll probably still be in line for an increase in 2020.  There are probably half a dozen minimum salary guys in the Angels system who could replace him and improve on his production--or at least not be any worse.

Here’s the first question you ask with Rojas: Is he going to be on the 40-man roster in November? 

Yes, he is Rule 5 eligible this year, but you still don’t need to add him to the roster unless you are worried that he’ll get taken. For a team to take him in the Rule 5, they would have to keep him in the majors all of 2020. Generally that’s a lot easier to do with a pitcher. For comparison, Jared Walsh was left unprotected last year.

Now, if you decide you have other guys you’d rather protect, you can’t put Rojas on the 40-man now, because then in November you’ll need to take him off and then he can get claimed, which is a lot different than being taken in the Rule 5. He’s got options so a team could claim him and still have him in the minors. 

The other thing is, my understanding is he doesn’t really have a position he can play capably in the majors. So that puts him behind a guy like Walsh, and maybe even Ward, both of whom did just as well offensively and are, I think, younger. 

22 minutes ago, Baghdad Strad said:

Hey @Jeff Fletcher do you know off the top of your head who else needs to be protected this off season?  

Jose Rojas
Brennon Lund
Jahmai Jones
Boy Way
Luis Pena
Jeremy Rhoades
Ryan Clark
Adrian De Horta
Jack Kruger
Jhoan Urena
Roberto Baldoquin
Zach Houchins
Connor Justus
Joe Gatto
Oliver Ortega
Keinner Pina
Franklin Torres
Leon Rivas
Travis Herrin
Chritopher Molina
Jorge Tavarez
Adrian Rondon
Johan Sala

A bunch of those guys are obviously from pretty low in the minors and can be protected on the minor league side.  Most are eligible for a second time.  

50 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rojas
Jahmai Jones
Boy Way
Luis Pena
Jeremy Rhoades
Ryan Clark
Adrian De Horta
Jack Kruger
Jhoan Urena
Roberto Baldoquin
Zach Houchins
Connor Justus
Joe Gatto
Oliver Ortega
Keinner Pina
Franklin Torres
Leon Rivas
Travis Herrin
Chritopher Molina
Jorge Tavarez
Adrian Rondon
Johan Sala

A bunch of those guys are obviously from pretty low in the minors and can be protected on the minor league side.  Most are eligible for a second time.  

It’s pretty hard to predict who they’ll protect, as Luís Madero showed. 

I can tell you that pitchers with raw stuff go to that top of the list. Not so much guys who perform or position players. 

Remember, it’s not about who performed the best or who are the best prospects. It’s totally about who may get picked in the Rule 5.