• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike's bullpen managing last night....

Gotta give him props for not only pulling Blanton when he did, but also pulling Frieri. There was no need to push your luck with Blanton out there and two guys on base, and Frieri clearly didn't have it. Usually managers leave their "closer" out there to twist in the wind but Mike wasn't having Ernesto's BS.

Obviously these decisions could have backfired but I think everyone could agree that both pitchers should have been pulled when they did.

If we blame Mike for the losses we should at least give him some credit for the wins. Last night his "micro-managing" helped the team win.

Gotta give him props for not only pulling Blanton when he did, but also pulling Frieri. There was no need to push your luck with Blanton out there and two guys on base, and Frieri clearly didn't have it. Usually managers leave their "closer" out there to twist in the wind but Mike wasn't having Ernesto's BS.

Obviously these decisions could have backfired but I think everyone could agree that both pitchers should have been pulled when they did.

If we blame Mike for the losses we should at least give him some credit for the wins. Last night his "micro-managing" helped the team win.

agreed...he handled the pen well last night

Agreed great job!  Mad props to Sosh!  

Which begs the question: why doesn't he manage the bullpen like this every night?  That is, don't micromanage with matchups but leave pitchers in when they are doing well and take them out when they are clearly struggling.  Why? 

You can't do it every night, because the relievers would burn out by September (innings pitched plus warming up).

But you can do it 1-2 times a week potentially, without burning out your relievers. 

Scioscia rarely ever did this in the past, preferring to have a reliever pitch an entire inning, but may finally be embracing it.

don't know if it's a usual phenomena for most pen's as i hadn't really noticed it in years past, but there seem to be several guys in the pen this year that either have it or they don't. 

Kohn, Frieri, Lowe, Richards sometimes DDLR and even Downs as of late.  Because they aren't consistent strike throwers you can kind of tell when they are going to be able to work thru an inning and when they won't.  Lowe, Richards and Kohn in particular.

I like the short leash but it does tend to burn guys out.  not as many pinch hit opportunities in this lineup.  occasional pinch run spots with pujols but it's rare that you would remove him from the game so I like one less bench guy and one extra pen guy.   

Blanton should have never gone out there for the 7th.