• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Miguel Cabrera

Normally I don't really care about non halo players, but what he's doing is pretty impressive

last 4 games 9-15, 6hrs 13rbi, 5 walks.  yeesh. 

Very real chance of winning back to back triple crowns. Cabrera's likely a lock for the RBI lead. He has a pretty sizable lead in average and tends to be very consistent / not streaky. Toughest will be HR's but I don't see Chris Davis keeping his HR lead for long, and Hamilton won't even remotely be in the conversation this year. 

His consistency over the years is also special. Excluding the 2010 season, when he played in 'only' 150 games, he has averaged 159 games/year since 2004.

He's a free agent in 2016 and will be 33 years old. 

Looks like he'll be a perfect signing for us.

On a typical month, Trout would be running away with the player of the month award but Cabrera is having a ridiculous month.

I have a feeling that Trout is the only thing standing between Cabrera and another triple crown.  

I think that Trout is going to come very close to leading the league in home runs this year.

Too bad runs scored and stolen bases aren't part of the triple crown....

Cabrera has the lead in run scored at the moment. Fielder actually knocks him in instead of grounding into double plays all the time *cough*PooHoles*cough*

Great read. But is THIS true?! (from a comment following the story)

"My understanding of why the trade didn't happen was that Marlins wanted Brandon Wood as part of the deal-- and the Angels refused, so Miami went with Detroit's offer instead."

We could have had Cabrera for Wood??!!

"My understanding of why the trade didn't happen was that Marlins wanted Brandon Wood as part of the deal-- and the Angels refused, so Miami went with Detroit's offer instead."

Wood, Kendrick, Santana, and maybe Adenhart. 

A bit more complicated.  But yeah, Wood was part of the trade.  It would have actually been a real good trade for the Marlins.  And for us.  Instead, Marlins got nothing.

http://www.fishstripes.com/2013/4/23/4255952/miami-marlins-miguel-cabrera-2007-trade-detroit-tigers-los-angeles-angels-howie-kendrick

Starters Ervin Santana and Joe Saunders were in the Cabrera conversations. Pitcher Nick Adenhart and shortstop Brandon Wood were high-end prospects coveted everywhere. Howie Kendrick was a rising star at second base. Kendrys Morales, two years removed from breaking out as a slugging first baseman, center fielder and leadoff man Reggie Willits (fifth in the 2007 AL Rookie of the Year Award voting) and catcher Jeff Mathis could have been part of a package.

How would a Kendrick, Adenhart, Willits, and Saunders package, plus or minus possible minor league filler, worked out for the Fish?

But, if I remember correctly, Mathis was also going to be included.  But as you said, the hangup was on Wood.  Marlins wanted both Wood and Kendrick, and the Angels would only include one of them.  

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/nov/14/sports/sp-cabrera14

Better article, since it was in 2007 when written and not afterwards.  LOL

But the Angels would trade Kendrick only if they felt the package was right -- they don't want to trade Kendrick and Adenhart and third base prospect Brandon Wood and one of their catchers, Jeff Mathis or Mike Napoli, for Cabrera.

And....

New Angels General Manager Tony Reagins met with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, in Anaheim before the GM meetings. Tuesday was the first day teams could discuss monetary figures with free agents, but Reagins said he did not extend any formal contract offers.

And another article.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/nov/20/sports/sp-angels20

The Marlins insist that second baseman Howie Kendrick be included in any deal for Cabrera, and they have inquired about catcher Jeff Mathis and top prospect Brandon Wood, who can play shortstop or third.

But Florida also covets young pitching, so it's possible that the Angels may be able to use two pitchers -- either Santana or Saunders and top prospect Nick Adenhart -- in a trade for Cabrera and leave either Kendrick or Mathis out of the deal.

excerpt:

But Florida also covets young pitching, so it's possible that the Angels may be able to use two pitchers -- either Santana or Saunders and top prospect Nick Adenhart -- in a trade for Cabrera and leave either Kendrick or Mathis out of the deal.

So we possibly could have had Cabrera for the following:

Santana/Saunders

Adenhart (RIP, Nick)

Wood

Mathis

All hindsight and speculation, of course, but still...