• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

[Fangraphs] La Stella is doing Trout-like things

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

.301/.388/.611, .998 OPS, 11 homers with 13 walks to just 8 strikeouts. 

More HR than strikeouts - that’s just totally insane in this day and age. I wonder when the last time a guy had more HR than K after 100+ PAs. 

Also, how crazy is it that Tony Gwynn only struck out 434 times in 20 years? He averaged less than 20 strikeouts every year for the last decade or so of his career. But even he never had more HRs than Ks.

Over a full season, Bonds had 45 HR and 41 K in 2004, and George Brett had 24 HR to 22 K in 1980. Everyone else is 1956 or earlier. La Stella might actually come close to doing this....

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

More HR than strikeouts - that’s just totally insane in this day and age. I wonder when the last time a guy had more HR than K after 100+ PAs. 

Also, how crazy is it that Tony Gwynn only struck out 434 times in 20 years? He averaged less than 20 strikeouts every year for the last decade or so of his career. But even he never had more HRs than Ks.

check out this guy.  he was pretty good.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dimagjo01.shtml

361 hr.  369 k.  Missed his age 28, 29, 30 seasons for military service.  walk rate was more than 2 times his k rate.  

Every time he homers I just smile and shake my head in continued disbelief. I don't think anyone can expect that this type of run continues but what if he can provide .800 OPS as a full time player the rest of the way at 2B/3B? He has one year of arbitration left and my god that makes next year's team even more exciting. This is by far the most optimistic I have been for the franchise in the last decade and it's an awesome feeling.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d trade him at the deadline if he’s still playing like this.  Cash in on the value he provides especially with that extra year of control.  Might be able to get your next catcher or third baseman.  

you definitely shop him and Goodwin at the deadline and of course Kole if we're not in it.  

I feel some desperation coming from a few teams at this deadline.  

Philly was all in during the off season.  I think they'll be very aggressive.  

The dogs will be aggressive. 

Yankees too.  

Houston won't.  

Cubs might although I don't think so.  

Cards I doubt it.  

Bosox will because they've only got one or two years of contention left.  

Milwaukee is going to sell everything possible that's not tied down.  

Tampa might surprise some people and be a big buyer.  The problem is that their farm is absurd.  I would love to match up with them somehow.  

Cleveland is a wild card.   They might actually sell.  

Atlanta will sit on their hands again

Mets won't do much.  

Arizona won't do much.  

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Realistically, though, even if La Stella keeps it up all year and hits 30ish HR, hard to imagine his Ks staying in the 20s. I think a more realistic figure might be something like 25 HR and 40 Ks in 500 PA....still impressive.

since the Halos became a franchise (1961), there has been one player to have more hrs than K's (in 1980).  He also almost did it in 1977 as well.  Another guy came close a few  times.    

you know who the first guy is?  the second guy?    

Couldn't be Carew - he didn't hit enough HR. Carney Lansford is probably similar.

1977-80 was just before my time. Dunno.

..I just cheated and looked. There was no one on the Angels in 1980, so presumably Doc is talking about all of baseball. Hmm. George Brett, maybe? He hit .390 in 1980, but I think only 20ish HR.